Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
Just now, Mike Poole said:

What on earth are folks whinging about?  The real cold interest is after day 10 at the moment, the formation of the true Greenland high, and GFS 12z is right at it!

Like the earlier runs were…

T300:

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Art

Because of inpatience, if you dont see eye candy charts every time its dead i  the water

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

What on earth are folks whinging about?  The real cold interest is after day 10 at the moment, the formation of the true Greenland high, and GFS 12z is right at it!

T300:

Exactly Mike. I'm not sure what folk are expecting tbh 😒

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

T300:

That’s what I think the problem is Mike, it’s always after day 10 and doesn’t seem to be counting down, it was day 12 three days ago and it’s still day 12 three days later which means any real cold delayed from the 4th/5th to the 9th/10th. It’s frustrating for sure and people are getting impatient given the perfect Synoptics.

I think patience is very much required here though and we will eventually hit the jackpot 

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

That’s what I think the problem is Mike, it’s always after day 10 and doesn’t seem to be counting down, it was day 12 three days ago and it’s still day 12 three days later which means any real cold delayed from the 4th/5th to the 9th/10th. It’s frustrating for sure and people are getting impatient given the perfect Synoptics.

I think patience is very much required here though and we will eventually hit the jackpot 

Yes you are correct Day 12 four days ago and still Day 12. It hasn't even counted down by a day.

The trend is consistently good though so you would imagine our luck will improve soon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
3 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

T300:

The cold encompasses the whole of the UK on D14, what possibly can go wrong? 

D8-D14: animvti9.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

T300:

The good ol' infamous day 10! 

I actually thought the the GFS 12Z run was an decent run in fairness, block more south and westwards and some hint of troughing in Western Russia. The lack of deep cold will always be there though in the short to medium term. 

It's ashame the small pools of cold air we do have are not that just bit colder over the UK as any shallow heights within the flow(as the GFS shows) increases the risk of precipation and with a continental flow may give surprising snow somewhere but the air is not cold enough sadly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

T180 mean. I’m happy to watch with interest.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Graphics, Art

• Like 5

Posted

Ukmo 168

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Better not be more rain although I can't see the precip charts we need that low to do one .

Surely the blocking will force the low south

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Ukmo 168

Close to the gfs mean. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Ukmo 168

Better not be more rain although I can't see the precip charts we need that low to do one .

Thats a brilliant chart mate!!!like you i think that low needs to be just ever so slightly further south and east but overall i will take it!

Infact i think ukmo at 168 hours is much better than gfs at the same time!!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
1 minute ago, Geordiesnow said:

The good ol' infamous day 10! 

I actually thought the the GFS 12Z run was an decent run in fairness, block more south and westwards and some hint of troughing in Western Russia. The lack of deep cold will always be there though in the short to medium term. 

It's ashame the small pools of cold air we do have are not that just bit colder over the UK as any shallow heights within the flow(as the GFS shows) increases the risk of precipation and with a continental flow may give surprising snow somewhere but the air is not cold enough sadly. 

They are my thoughts; the static nature of our region, D8-13, would be enhanced from a cold POV if we received a cold pool earlier in the run, that sat over the UK in those shallow heights. A missed oppotunity this run, but all likely to change post D8 next run.

The control at D8 highlights that:

Could contain: Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Rainforest, VegetationCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Person, Sea, Water

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

T300:

I get you but I'm just tempering my own expectations really. There's a lot of eye candy but the fact is the first flakes of snow in this amazing run are probably 15 days away. There is not a quick route to snow with the coming set up so just being cautious as there will likely be a long time between the block setting up to our North and the first flakes of snow. I'm taking it one step at a time get the block in first before any excitement.

• Like 3

Posted

Lets start with the reliable timeframe..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

This scandi high has been showing for the last week to 10 days as last week showed it pretty persistant..

What day did it rain all day and 6c..

So as winter aproaches after seeing mild or very mild S to SWlys most of the autumn,we are very fortunate to see a major shift..

Knowing how cold these surface cold SElys can be anyhow its a big change coming..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

I m sure we ll see allsorts of scenarios showing up yet..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Diagram

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Ukmo 168

Frontal rain reaches Ireland & fringes into the far west of Wales & Cornwall before stalling. Low would indeed slip a little south & gradually fill in (weaken) as it has no support from upstream (west or northwest).

Space for high pressure to firm up around Iceland too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3