Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Even though the charts are grim for the next 7 days I think it'll take something to beat such an appalling day for light levels, one of the worst of my lifetime!

Even though it's milder tomorrow, if it's even a little less dark, it'll be an improvement.

Quite possibly:

Best weather day of 2022: that day it reached 40, not to everyone's taste I know but a notable event nonetheless

Worst weather day of 2022: Dec 18, for a number of reasons.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

I noticed how healthy i felt during the cold spell, the cough that i had before had disappeared

Now the dark, mild, muck is back. amazing how much, that affects the mood

Farewell, to the white stuff, not sure i'll see you again for quite some time

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Already missing the crisp cold weather of the last couple of weeks. Very much back to last months weather today. Dull and very wet. 🤮

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, HurricaneSteve said:

Farewell, to the white stuff, not sure i'll see you again for quite some time

I didn't see any during the cold spell, unless you count frost!!

Posted

A 'normal' UK Winter just cranked into top gear here, this afters i.e. Heavy rain, wind, temp now at 9c.

I expect this to go on until mid-January to varying degrees; standard Winter fare for these parts.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 hours ago, Don said:

Could it be that 'normal' mild winter weather will likely prevail now moving forward?!

Although there are winters which did a hail mary and then just went zonal for the rest of it, i'm inclined to think that our spell suggests we have a 'kind trop' this year which tends to (anecdotally) mean that further spells are likely. I would tend to say that this favours an attemped spell in January (i suspect that from mid-Feb at the latest, the pattern will be hostile given my general belief that Dec-Jan are winter this year). 

Posted

One Week away to the big day. My money is on a White Christmas simply based on the consistency of the GFS. It did something very similar during the cold spell of 2010, while other models were suggesting otherwise including the ECM. How I remember is I  contacted Met Eireann to complain about their wrong predictions. 😆

Edited by DOdo
left something out
  • Like 1

Posted

I do hope the ECM is on the money. Mild, yes please! This cold has been too much and very expensive to keep the house warm. Hopefully the milder weather will stick around for a while now. The cold can do one for the time being! The GFS shows some wintry interest at christmas but hopefully the other models prevail in their mild outlook. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

BBC one weather also showed the possibility of colder weather over Christmas.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
Just now, clark3r said:

Tomorrow this place will be a BOOM when UKM and ECM play catch up

That's a BIG statement to make with how volatile the weather pattern is in terms of predictability.....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
1 minute ago, clark3r said:

Tomorrow this place will be a BOOM when UKM and ECM play catch up

But GFS will have reverted to mild by then.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, SizzlingHeat said:

I do hope the ECM is on the money. Mild, yes please! This cold has been too much and very expensive to keep the house warm. Hopefully the milder weather will stick around for a while now. The cold can do one for the time being! The GFS shows some wintry interest at christmas but hopefully the other models prevail in their mild outlook. 

Yes I'm sure the majority would rather have 12c and be able to keep their bills down. Fortunately the models are pointing this way. Wouldn't be surprised if that's it for winter.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, SizzlingHeat said:

The majority of us on this forum want cold and snow, but this year I’m sure many people will be looking at the silver lining should the opposite Synoptics transpire. It’s been an expensive 10 days through this cold spell for sure. 

Sod’s Law would suggest this winter will be cold 🥶 

I thought we’d have a pretty robust solution for Xmas day by this evening but we are well off!! 🙄 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Model output discussion not take a punt discussion.😩😂 we need to sit on the fence for a bit.👍

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lord Baltimore said:

Yes I'm sure the majority would rather have 12c and be able to keep their bills down. Fortunately the models are pointing this way. Wouldn't be surprised if that's it for winter.

Hope so. The cold is pretty useless down here on the south coast. Its just cold and dry usually. Unless we get an easterly with a channel low, but its so rare for snow down here, its just a nuisance having to scrape the car every morning and spending a second mortgage staying warm. Mild means the windows can be opened a little in the day, less clothes going out etc. This week is certainly very mild at times, hopefully that will be it for cold now!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and snow
1 hour ago, tight isobar said:

What a final 💥 let’s hope we can gain as much excitement from the ecm ready to trickle @ 12z

Was brilliant wasnt it, although did make us late for a carol service at the church ,they weren't impressed 🤣🤣.(especially as we aren't regular goers)

Just need to finish the day with good signs for at least cold Xmas  and I will go to bed happy .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
16 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Loco zonality, localized NAO

Are some trying to extract the urine?  I thought faux cold was bad enough but the above take the biscuit.

Saw griceland on MOD, hate that too

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, SizzlingHeat said:

Hope so. The cold is pretty useless down here on the south coast. Its just cold and dry usually. Unless we get an easterly with a channel low, but its so rare for snow down here, its just a nuisance having to scrape the car every morning and spending a second mortgage staying warm. Mild means the windows can be opened a little in the day, less clothes going out etc. This week is certainly very mild at times, hopefully that will be it for cold now!

A couple of weeks and the first signs of Spring will be here. Currently 13c in Plymouth. Heating off and I'm sat in a tee shirt. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Definitely guessing GFS will come inline with the others on the 00Z's, probably a trend towards them on 18Z, if GFS showing cold, other big guns showing mild, then mild it is

• Like 2