Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
26 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

We live in a temperate climate, an island and right by the ocean so it is what it is....only once in a blue moon will the cards align for anything decent snow wise..Though if we had tonnes of snow every winter like places in Canada and USA maybe we would be praying to live in a climate like ours in southern england where it rarely snows or baltic? The only country that is gauranteed snow every winter in the UK is Scotland.

I would prefer to live in a country with proper seasons too 😛

yep i live in Western Canada where it is currently -40c and yes i would take a UK winter all day every day thanks very much 

• Like 1

Posted

I wonder what this place was like during the winters of 2013/14 and 2015/16.. must've been a horrible time model watching. Don't think 2013/14 recorded a single frost here, which is crazy.

Winter 19/20 was another one where looking at the models led to disappointment. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 19/12/2022 at 18:21, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Whilst I don't want mild weather to dominate throughout the winter, I can understand why some would be feeling fed up with the cold spell at some point. I think all weather types become a little tedious eventually and everything loses its novelty after a while. In fact, give it a couple of weeks and people on here will be wanting the cold again. My favourite kind of winter is a mixed bag one with a good mix of snow, frost, blizzards, wind, rain and mild days. The winter of 2020/21 was the best one for this.

Yeah there needs to be a balance.

• Like 1

Posted
On 20/12/2022 at 22:38, Don said:

Lucky you considering your location! 🙂

Yeah, the cold spell was longer in December 2022, but snow levels in west London were poor. It was a small covering. 

The gardens however, were still covered in snow for about 7 days because of the low temps. 2018 and even January 2021 were more impressive for snow, but the cold this December lasted for a longer time.

Posted

So it’s been drizzling for hours, with quite a cool chill in the air and now mist has formed as night falls. 

Doesn’t feel wintery one bit but I suppose this is the new norm. Fluctuations between mild and cool with it often being damp/wet amongst drier spells. 

Posted
On 19/12/2022 at 22:15, matt111 said:

I'd love a white Christmas, I've never properly seen one, and where I live now I'm probably not that likely to anytime soon. If I was given the choice between that or a proper cold spell in Jan or Feb of course I'd choose the latter. 

White Christmases are very rare in England. I’ve only witnessed two or three close to Christmas snow events, 1995, 2009 and 10, and 2000 had some snow after Christmas.

Christmas 1981 is the only snowy Christmas period of the christmas period , and my uncle tells me White Christmases started to become less frequent after 1970.

On 21/12/2022 at 10:06, Cymro said:

There's a lot of talk of poor Januarys for the past decade yet Jan 2021 was a fantastic month for snowfall here in Wales, where it snowed and lay 3 weekends out of 4. No deep freeze but plenty of winter weather ❄️👌

Yes it was a cold month, and even London had a bit of snow, not much but it was notable. 

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
On 20/12/2022 at 10:56, stainesbloke said:

Personally I agree. I’ve always thought snow around Christmas isn’t ideal. It’s ok if you’ve hunkered down and don’t have to go anywhere but most people make multiple trips to visit relatives and friends. The utter chaos for people travelling (as last week’s snow showed) would be a nightmare for many. 

I just stay put from Christmas Eve until Boxing Day. I just don’t get the whole meeting people on Christmas Day thing lol.

Maybe it’s because I’ve always been part of a small family, so most of us see each other and stay over for a couple of days, or just visit extended folk on Boxing Day and the 27th.

• Like 3

Posted
On 19/12/2022 at 18:31, Snowyowl9 said:

If we re looking at just december this month will be the second coldest of the 1980s..

December 1980. Cold first half, mild second half. Dry in the south.
Temps similar to 2019 at 0.2c lower..
December1982. Wet and windy, cold in the north. A gust of nearly 90 mph was recorded at Leeming on the 15th.Temps the same as 2005..
December1983. Mild and wet. Colder spell midmonth. It then became mild and unsettled, and stormy at times.
December1984. Average temperatures overall. After a mild, wet start, it became colder and drier in the south in the second week. There was some persistent fog around on the 11th.
Dec 1985..December. Mild and wet. There was an exceptional warm spell on the first three days of the month. 17.7C at Chivenor (North Devon) and 17.2C recorded at Bude (Cornwall) as a consequence of the Fohn effect on the 2nd, with dull, wet, unsettled weather. Flooding in the south. Very mild until Christmas Day; there was then a cold spell in late December in the north, with some severe frosts and snow showers.
December 1986. Mild, wet, unsettled, and windy. The wettest December of the century in Scotland. There was a minimum of 13C in places on the 4th. There was flooding in north Wales on the 29th; 105 mm of rain fell at Nantmor.
Dec 1987..
December. Mild and changeable overall, after a chilly start. Cloudy and dry, particularly in the SE. 16C at Minehead on the 17th, and 18C at Cape Wrath on the 18th.
DE..1988
December. Exceptionally mild (7.5) - the second warmest this century. Dull but very dry. Very mild on Christmas Eve (14.9C at Torquay) and Christmas Day (14C).
Dec 1989..
December. A varied month, but generally unsettled. Cool over the north, mild in the south. Largely dull apart from the far north.

Christmas 80 was a dud. My family left the turkey out, as we were visiting some friends across town on the big day, and by the time we came back the turkey went off.

it was a stupid thing to do, but had it been Christmas 1981, the turkey would have been ok.

Posted
On 19/12/2022 at 10:50, SLEETY said:

This week hopefully.

The mild air taking control of the Winter weather  over the UK and Europe has been persistent the past 35 years or so.

So odds are most definitely against the cold coming back.To think no Januay since the late 80s has matched the cold of the past 10 days,shows how crud the Winters have become for cold and snowy weather.

An utter joke a traversty and a load of bull that it has been so persistet the mild air winning out so often 😕

Yeah, it all started to change in December 1987, with that very mild sunny Christmas Day, and the very mild second half of December.  Jan and feb 88 were also very mild. 

Posted
4 hours ago, 78/79 said:

In my almost 63 years on this earth, I reckon that I could count on the fingers of 2 hands the number of winters in this country that could in any way be described as being  severe, or noteworthy in terms of cold or snow. 

Sort of puts things into perspective really. Most years are about as interesting as watching paint dry. 

Oh I dunno, those +day 10 winters on the GFS are severe every year 😉 

• Like 1

Posted
On 19/12/2022 at 10:55, markyo said:

What an awful feel to the weather today, gone is the fantastic crisp weather, mild unpleasant crap replaces it....thankfully only for a short period but very unwelcome any way

My secretaries at work were celebrating the mild weather, and I had to just sour the mood, when I told them I wanted the colder weather back because it provided more dry and sunny conditions with it.

They thought I was mad.

Yes I love the warmth and the heat of the summer, but when it’s winter I do enjoy a few colder spells, and the odd few days of mild weather. 

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, MATTWOLVES said:

How dare you Don for bringing me out of my Xmas slumber 🤣

In all fairness this is a problem on this thread,far to many will start pointing out that if a mild spell sets in then there's no way out of it! This is very often based on the poor recent trend of winters rather than anything scientific.

We can't say with even the slightest bit of accuracy that any kind of pattern will lock in for weeks at a time..and definitely not in the UK.

🍻

Well, we were missing you Matt!! 🙂

However, you are correct in that I am taking into account more recent winters i.e. in the last 30 years or so when climate change started to rear its ugly head!  To be fair I am thinking of the worst case scenario to avoid further disappointment, too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Don said:

Well, we were missing you Matt!! 🙂

However, you are correct in that I am taking into account more recent winters i.e. in the last 30 years or so when climate change started to rear its ugly head!  To be fair I am thinking of the worst case scenario to avoid further disappointment, too!

Look face facts we had maybe 2 falls of snow a year ,if you are lucky ,over the last 50 yrs in the south that's just the way it is with With mild gulf stream dominating UK weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm spring, hot summers

I'm needing to moan & I believe this is the thread to do so.... I allowed myself to get excited by the ramping up of a possible snowy xmas. So, today I despair that  it is not happening, not only that but not even cold! And that hideous word MILD is being bandied about again.  " At least it's mild, could be worse, could be snowing "  How is drizzle & no sun better than pretty snow or at least frost & beautiful sunshine? Murky like now is awful

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ms Rock & Blues said:

I'm needing to moan & I believe this is the thread to do so.... I allowed myself to get excited by the ramping up of a possible snowy xmas. So, today I despair that  it is not happening, not only that but not even cold! And that hideous word MILD is being bandied about again.  " At least it's mild, could be worse, could be snowing "  How is drizzle & no sun better than pretty snow or at least frost & beautiful sunshine? Murky like now is awful

Yeah I know, but when it’s cold in early December it does make me laugh when people automatically think it will be a cold Christmas. It doesn’t always hold on all the way through. 

That said, I’m with you, I wish the cold stayed on but this is typical of a maritime climate.

Im in Latvia for Christmas, so it’s better over here. Not as snowy as I would like as they lost the 3 weeks of snowy weather they had, just before I flew over here. 

Maybe I’m a jinx lol. 

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Im in Latvia for Christmas, so it’s better over here. Not as snowy as I would like as they lost the 3 weeks of snowy weather they had, just before I flew over here. 

Maybe I’m a jinx lol. 

Any chance you can stay in Latvia until March?! 🤪

Posted
48 minutes ago, Ms Rock & Blues said:

At least Darren Bett is happy!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, RhHh said:

At least Darren Bett is happy!

just watched him as it happens, not my favourite, miserable so and so

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

yep i live in Western Canada where it is currently -40c and yes i would take a UK winter all day every day thanks very much 

Perhaps there could be a netweather house exchange thang starting up…..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

No, unfortunately I can’t do that. My office manager is a tyrant at the best of times lol.

as i always tell my children.."you can do whatever you want to do if you put your mind to it" ..there no such word as cant its wont 

• Like 1

At the end of the day we really don't want the cold weather, think of our bills. £500 a month on gas and electric in my modest abode.

Think of the millions that won't be going into the pockets of our foreign owned energy companies and distributors.

The UK should be revolting now and shouting 'tax the energy companies'. Instead not even Labour want to discuss it, disgusting corruption.

Edited by DCee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, DCee said:

At the end of the day we really don't want the cold weather, think of our bills. £500 a month on gas and electric in my modest abode.

Think of the millions that won't be going into the pockets of our foreign owned energy companies and distributors.

The UK should be revolting now and shouting 'tax the energy companies'. Instead even Labour don't even want to discuss it, disgusting corruption.

cannot understand anyone wanting mild/wet/windy!

but can understand most looking forward to Spring/Summer, and preferring summer over winter

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

as i always tell my children.."you can do whatever you want to do if you put your mind to it" ..there no such word as cant its wont 

Yeah I agree with that, but if I want to stay in my partner’s family house in the Latvian countryside until March, I won’t have a job to go back to lol.

Once I get a remote job, then I’ll be making the rules.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

cannot understand anyone wanting mild/wet/windy!

but can understand most looking forward to Spring/Summer, and preferring summer over winter

Well hopefully I've given you some understanding?

Right now I'll take mild wet and windy over the next two months. The rain is a pain though.

Edited by DCee