Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

Worth noting that the latest GFS has a number of potential snow events through next week. Tuesday a short lived but potent north-westerly with T850s down to -9. Rain to snow event on the cold front followed bye showers.
then Thursday very heavy snow on the breakdown before turning to rain later. Will change but nice to see.

Too stressful 😂😂😂

• Like 9

Posted
27 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Can you get out of Glossop Will?  Looks like you're cut off at the moment.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Just been out gritting pavements and drive… so many lorries stuck and abandoned cars… thought people last night might of thought it wasn’t going to be that bad.. plus police incident between Tesco and roundabout the road was closed “due to a police incident” 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Tomorrow evening would imagine 200m plus cannot see it affecting low ground.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Snow and warm sun could only be March 😂

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

For tommorow's evening it probably be a wintry mix here for 10 minutes before it turns to rain. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I imagine even the hills are going to struggle to hold onto this snow today. That sun has some real strength to it now. 5C here and no coat is required. Almost all traces of a wintry night have disappeared 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

Actually pretty proud of this

Yep, impressive accuracy with the prediction of the rain shadow/foehn area.

Ended with 2cm in Ramsbottom at 150m ASL (now largely melted) with the impacts of the "shield" sadly making it a complete non-event, other than the novelty of seeing >24hours of snowfall of various intensities only give a tiny covering in the final knockings about 4am-6am this morning.  The snowfall on the first Saturday of the December spell actually gave more here - only around 4cm though, so nothing major.

Between 5cm-10cm up at 250m ASL just 2 miles run from Ramsbottom, but really hard to find a flat sheltered area as there was masses of blowing snow up there.

Some you lose, and other you also lose....

Edited by Maz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

4ºC now

Suns cracking the flags and all the snows gone!

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Maz said:

Yep, impressive accuracy with the prediction of the rain shadow/foehn area.

Ended with 2cm in Ramsbottom at 150m ASL (now largely melted) with the impacts of the "shield" sadly making it a complete non-event, other than the novelty of seeing >24hours of snowfall of various intensities only give a tiny covering in the final knockings about 4am-6am this morning.  The snowfall on the first Saturday of the December spell actually gave more here - only around 4cm though, so nothing major.

Between 5cm-10cm up at 250m ASL just 2 miles run from Ramsbottom, but really hard to find a flat sheltered area as there was masses of blowing snow up there.

Some you lose, and other you also lose....

I’d love to do a bit of research on easterly frontal events of the past in G Manchester and the effects of the shield. It’s a shame for us ALWAYS to miss out as if the conditions are right it should be one of our best snow makers. I know for a fact Manchester has had big easterly frontal snow events as @Weather-history has posted the articles. 

Some musings from me @Kasim Awan please correct me here if necessary.

Any easterly vector, whether SE, E or NE across Pennines- slight foehn effect, will increase temp by a degree or so, makes a big difference in marginal conditions, would be mitigated by a colder airmass.

A SE’ly - kinder scout plateau, longer pennine/peak track = more chance of virga/precipitation drying out plus foehn effect described above. Mitigated by lower heights and a lighter wind?

Convective precipitation rather than frontal = much lower risk of shield effect due to more instability, e.g. Feb 2005, Feb/March 2018. In fact Pennines can enhance the showers. 

Feb 96 even though it was a polar continental airmass I don’t think the wind was actually a SE’ly in Manchester? Plus a very active front. One day we’ll see a repeat. Maybe. Just maybe. 

All interesting stuff and that complex you could probably write a dissertation on it. Historical G Manchester snow events and how the shield has played a part (or not). 

Edited by Joe Bloggs
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Joe Bloggs said:

I’d love to do a bit of research on easterly frontal events of the past in G Manchester and the effects of the shield. It’s a shame for us ALWAYS to miss out as if the conditions are right it should be one of our best snow makers. I know for a fact Manchester has had big easterly frontal snow events as @Weather-history has posted the articles. 

Some musings from me @Kasim Awan please correct me here if necessary.

Any easterly vector, whether SE, E or NE across Pennines- slight foehn effect, will increase temp by a degree or so, makes a big difference in marginal conditions, would be mitigated by a colder airmass.

A SE’ly - kinder scout plateau, longer pennine/peak track = more chance of virga/precipitation drying out plus foehn effect described above. Mitigated by lower heights and a lighter wind?

Convective precipitation rather than frontal = much lower risk of shield effect due to more instability, e.g. Feb 2005, Feb/March 2018. In fact Pennines can enhance the showers. 

Feb 96 even though it was a polar continental airmass I don’t think the wind was actually a SE’ly in Manchester? Plus a very active front. One day we’ll see a repeat. Maybe. Just maybe. 

All interesting stuff and that complex you could probably write a degree on it. Historical G Manchester snow events and how the shield has played a part (or not). 

SEly here in glossop is a dead cert there will be shadow here… yep Kinder scout to blame 👍👌

• Like 2

Posted

That's me completely exhausted with aching legs 😄 5 hours and 11.2 miles from Whaley to the top end of the Goyt (and back) this morning, trudging through  waist-height deep snowdrifts at times, and a few towering 7 meters down Bunsall Cob. I got about 50+ pics to sort through but first I need food, Ibuprofen, and a few hours rest.

• Like 3

Posted
31 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Saw this  post in the Yorkshire thread 

"Measured 17cm of snow. A bit deeper on the grass. Was hoping for more tbh."

Hoping for more? There are a lot of snow lovers on this side of the Pennines would bite their arms off for that amount, lol  

Ha! 

I'm not happy. I was expecting double. 

Anyways I'm heading back to Manchester now so I'll be joining you lot in no snow land. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Park road Hadfield earlier… 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Car, Vehicle, Wheel, Scenery, Snow, Ice, Weather

Lol, looks like someone has had a giant foam party.

3 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

We had loads this morning 

Could contain: City, Road, Urban, Freeway, Overpass, High Rise, Terminal, Train Station, Metropolis, Apartment Building

Trains off for the day then?

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

We had loads this morning 

Could contain: City, Road, Urban, Freeway, Overpass, High Rise, Terminal, Train Station, Metropolis, Apartment Building

Yayyyyy 

I'm hopping we'll get some snow showers in the notherly. 

Could contain: Furniture, Outdoors, Chair, Nature

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Feels very spring-like out. The sun is really packing a punch now. It's only 4.4C, but you  wouldn't know it without checking. 

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Scuba steve said:

3 to 4 inches overnight let dog out for a pee at 3 am and thought I was in the arctic ,lol a rapid thaw setting in 

Really? There was absolutely nothing of note here(not even on the grass) and even in Lancaster there was barely anything although snow patches were more notable and it did look more white towards Williamsons park which is no surprise. Didn't think near Heysham(which I think you said your near) was all that much higher up but I remembered an event last year where there was heavy snow but very little accumulated in Morecambe and Lancaster but Heysham had a covering of sorts. Shows how a bit of height makes all the difference.

• Like 1

Posted

Definitely one of the better winter storms of recent years. Difficult to measure but 10 to 12cm here in the end. Memorable for a 1st 12hrs that didn't put a flake on the ground for more than 5 seconds and a 12hrs that was as blizzard like as I can remember. Beautiful March sun today. Time to look forward to the first 20c of the year. Great to see that, on the whole, the region did pretty well. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheshire snow said:

Tomorrow evening would imagine 200m plus cannot see it affecting low ground.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation

BBC forecast saying not exclusively for higher ground.

• Like 1