Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
33 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

In a nutshell cold dry winters but with more snow and hot dry summers.

Bank 😁

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

Right fine people! Taking 3 kids sledging tomorrow, as its baron here lol! Where is the best place to take them in the North West? We are about 30 mins from Pennine areas.

Higher routes locally still have a good covering ..

Doverstones will be good or if you travel another mile up Holmfirth Road it's 400m asl..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted

Happy to experience a snowy walk this season, was wondering if 2022-23 would deliver, but I should know not to dismiss the chance until April is out.. March can and often does pack a mighty punch every bit as potent as Dec- Feb, something to remember when Feb ends and you think that's it... do we ever learn!

Alas no disguising the warmth in the March sunshine, it put pay to snow cover very quickly, even on ground above 300m the snow was stripped clean quickly by 12pm as evidenced in the walk I did today. Not far from here 200m level there were deep drifts of a couple of feet. Unusually I think it was a NW wind last night, snow drifts all on western aspects... strange as I thought it was a NE flow.. eastern aspects had no drifts at all, not often we see such depths from a westerly flow.. the Lakeland topography is complex!

Turned into a cold sunny early Spring day, is it winter still until 21 March? I always say so.. with that in mind, a very cold night ahead.. could be significant lows in the snow fields, below -10 degrees possibly Pennine locations. We maxed on just 4 degrees today despite the sunshine, and temp dropping quick now, down to 2.8 degrees.

Any more snow chances, I count 3 possibly in the next week, tomorrow evening, then a mild blast Sunday into Monday, before the cold returns for Tuesday - more possible snow in the form of convective showers, then possibly another rain/snow battleground scenario Wed/Thursday.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Happy to experience a snowy walk this season, was wondering if 2022-23 would deliver, but I should know not to dismiss the chance until April is out.. March can and often does pack a mighty punch every bit as potent as Dec- Feb, something to remember when Feb ends and you think that's it... do we ever learn!

Alas no disguising the warmth in the March sunshine, it put pay to snow cover very quickly, even on ground above 300m the snow was stripped clean quickly by 12pm as evidenced in the walk I did today. Not far from here 200m level there were deep drifts of a couple of feet. Unusually I think it was a NW wind last night, snow drifts all on western aspects... strange as I thought it was a NE flow.. eastern aspects had no drifts at all, not often we see such depths from a westerly flow.. the Lakeland topography is complex!

Turned into a cold sunny early Spring day, is it winter still until 21 March? I always say so.. with that in mind, a very cold night ahead.. could be significant lows in the snow fields, below -10 degrees possibly Pennine locations. We maxed on just 4 degrees today despite the sunshine, and temp dropping quick now, down to 2.8 degrees.

Any more snow chances, I count 3 possibly in the next week, tomorrow evening, then a mild blast Sunday into Monday, before the cold returns for Tuesday - more possible snow in the form of convective showers, then possibly another rain/snow battleground scenario Wed/Thursday.

Wind from the east strips east facing slopes and deposits if on west facing slopes (or where sheltered), so I think your message has the wind direction wrong?

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

Are these areas accessible? Got a Model Y Performance AWD ..?

Yep, might be a bit busy at Dovestones but theres hills everywhere you look up there and loads of snow .

Main roads cleared ..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Maz said:

Wind from the east strips east facing slopes and deposits if on west facing slopes (or where sheltered), so I think your message has the wind direction wrong?

Ah that makes complete sense, hence normally snow from frontal events deposits snow on eastern aspects and drifting.. as usually associated with an atlantic feed, not often we see frontal events with snow from the east, normally happens from troughs and convective activity.

Just watching BBC news and just as I expected, drivers caught out by heavy snow on M62, caught out, or just ignored the warnings I wonder... mmm..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Day 10 said:

ECM tomorrow 🤔

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Plant, Vegetation, Outdoors, Nature, Rainforest, Map, Sea, WaterCould contain: Chart, Plot, Plant, Vegetation, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Atlas, Rainforest, Tree

May catch out a few Saturday night revellers, but equally could just be a high ground event, anyhow there is a significant mild up on the back of the front, and it may take a bit of time to get going given there will be some heating from the afternoon warmth, although there will be cloud cover, so the sun warming the ground will have less impact and following on from a cold night. If I was to pinpoint when I would prefer a snowy front to arrive it would have to be just before dawn... coldest part of the day, and can then see it falling in the daylight hours and enjoy it more!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Surely snow showers will start packing in from this setup?

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Purple, Plant, Outdoors, Nature, Vegetation, Map

• Like 4

Posted

BBC has us for -7C tonight, and that's without any snow cover. Quite impressive and would be the lowest March min since 2010. 

Could contain: Text, Symbol, Number

meanwhile, the met only going for a low of 0c 😂

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
36 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Its interesting isn't it. Yes Ive noticed times where manchester can fair well from the Irish Sea but not all Manc though.  You're so right about last night's weather pattern. All my life weather systems mirroring last night have never delivered for Manchester areas. Occasionally we may get a centimetre or 2 from them.  I stuck my neck out when my friends were all saying we would have a lot of snow and said it wouldn't happen. Glad I was right!😄 like you say its got to be a true easterly or North easterly or the very rare depression moving north south like 63 and 2010. Other than that we're screwed for mega snowfalls!!! Lived in West Yorkshire in 90's. Now they really cop it from last nights type of pattern. Think these forums have helped me understand why though a lot to learn still 

An inch is a lot in Stockport 🤣 Looked on the traffic cams this morning and there looked like nothing at all had settled in Stockport. I remember it was like that in 2013. Good snow in Tameside but bizarrely none in Stockport. We did much better here last night with a full cover. I always look at traffic cams when snow is about and often there's nowt there in Stockport....but a few miles up the road here a decent enough covering. Last night no exception 😂

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

An inch is a lot in Stockport 🤣 Looked on the traffic cams this morning and there looked like nothing at all had settled in Stockport. I remember it was like that in 2013. Good snow in Tameside but bizarrely none in Stockport. We did much better here last night with a full cover. I always look at traffic cams when snow is about and often there's nowt there in Stockport....but a few miles up the road here a decent enough covering. Last night no exception 😂

You're telling me. I'm nearly 60 and its never been any different! The classic snowy breakdowns are the worst. 10 minutes of snow then back to rain. Only 3 big falls in my lifetime and none from last nights type of event. I like our short but sharp snow showers off Irish Sea which I'm sure are happening more often now. 6 in last 3 years. Never leaves much though but pretty.  When I was younger we could go 5 years sometimes with nothing. The 80s might have been cold but delivered little here. Anyone from Manchester that's says the winters were snowing  then is rememering 79, 81 and I think 85. It was so cold in the 85 one but still turned to rain. I do remember though that the slush froze for about a week!!!

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

You're telling me. I'm nearly 60 and its never been any different! The classic snowy breakdowns are the worst. 10 minutes of snow then back to rain. Only 3 big falls in my lifetime and none from last nights type of event. I like our short but sharp snow showers off Irish Sea which I'm sure are happening more often now. 6 in last 3 years. Never leaves much though but pretty.  When I was younger we could go 5 years sometimes with nothing. The 80s might have been cold but delivered little here. Anyone from Manchester that's says the winters were snowing  then is rememering 79, 81 and I think 85. It was so cold in the 85 one but still turned to rain. I do remember though that the slush froze for about a week!!!

And am sure in 2001 we had snow showers on off for  week which left good coverings. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Fabulous picture postcard scenes to start the day here, but the snow cover melted quickly during the day. Pretty much just remnants left in shaded areas now. An absolutely glorious day though with plenty of sunshine and actually felt a lot warmer than the air temperature suggested when in the sun, very spring-like. A high of 5.9C. Clear skies this evening and hopefully a decent frost tonight.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A nice view through to the Peak District in the sunshine whilst out this afternoon, which was still snow capped.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Scenery, Plant, Vegetation, Weather, Countryside

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
8 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

86 especially the February was a sub zero CET month, like Dec 2010 was and of course Jan 87 very cold too. After that though the late 80s was very mild. But yeah it's a strange place Stockport. If you get a good cover it's must be snowmageddon elsewhere in the city 🤣. In all serious though if we get a NW'ly you should do ok. It's probably your best direction to be fair. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
3 hours ago, Day 10 said:

GFS has upgraded for Sat.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Purple, Outdoors, Nature, Person, Plant, Vegetation, Map, FaceCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Purple, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Diagram, PersonCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Person, Atlas, Diagram

What’s the wind direction?

2 hours ago, Day 10 said:

Tuesday

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Purple, Nature, Outdoors, Map, PersonCould contain: Purple, Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Art

Thankfully showing rain at Cheltenham.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Day 10 said:

Bank 😁

Me too, but we're well overdue another summer like 2007 and 2008 ☹️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob 79812010 said:

It's been like this for 100,000 years. (Not during ice ages as ice covered Cheshire).

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Ah that makes complete sense, hence normally snow from frontal events deposits snow on eastern aspects and drifting.. as usually associated with an atlantic feed, not often we see frontal events with snow from the east, normally happens from troughs and convective activity.

Just watching BBC news and just as I expected, drivers caught out by heavy snow on M62, caught out, or just ignored the warnings I wonder... mmm..

Yep, exactly.  In my younger days I went snow and ice climbing in Lake District, Snowdonia and Scotland.  Knowing how snow behaves in the wind was essential for staying safe from avalanches and finding the best conditions.

In those days most snow in Lake District came from a Westerly direction.  All the snow blew off Helvellyn plateau onto the east facing scarp slopes and gullies.  Being inland and high and having a big plateau to source snow from, meant it was the most reliable spot in the Lakes.  Often “in condition” for weeks at a time.  Last 15 years it’s only a few days each winter sadly.  The High Raise ski area was good in similar weather, and again is far less often useable now.  

Sad really.  Had loads of great Winter climbing days up there in 80s and 90s and early 00s though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Interesting post.

I was born in 76 and lived in Stockport until 87 before moving to Mossley until my mid 20’s. I don’t remember 81 and in my infant years Snow was something I loved but we never got. Until one morning mid 80’s when I woke up to what was several inches for the walk to school. Spending my teenage years in Mossley was a different matter. Very little in the late 80’s but the 90’s delivered some beauties, even a Sunday morning in June we had a blanket of snow until the afternoon. Our weather is so extraordinary when it comes to unpredictability, places do have their own climate.

• Like 5

Posted
24 minutes ago, Ramp said:

Interesting post.

I was born in 76 and lived in Stockport until 87 before moving to Mossley until my mid 20’s. I don’t remember 81 and in my infant years Snow was something I loved but we never got. Until one morning mid 80’s when I woke up to what was several inches for the walk to school. Spending my teenage years in Mossley was a different matter. Very little in the late 80’s but the 90’s delivered some beauties, even a Sunday morning in June we had a blanket of snow until the afternoon. Our weather is so extraordinary when it comes to unpredictability, places do have their own climate.

They really do! The 90's were brilliant for East of pennines and higher parts of NW! In June! That's fantastic!! 

• Like 3