Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
8 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

After this period we then look for signs of re amplification and a pattern similar to the one we just had, but without them stubborn euro heights this time!

I think the Euro heights may be the thorn in the side for this winter and (think) it was shown by many long range models in the lead up to winter?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
5 minutes ago, Scandinavian High. said:

Any chance Scandinavia high anytime soon met office not backing away from cold yet.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

It’s the uks safest route to cold and snow a la feb 96 all this Greenland stuff just too risky

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
35 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The latest ECM 06 hrs control run to day 6 delays the exit of the ne Canada troughing.

Additionally the ECM 06 hrs op to T90 hrs has edged that trough a smidge further west .

As you can see I’m doing my best here to scratch around for some crumbs of hope ! 

Think Cyprus may have a better chance ….tongue and cheek of course. I am still hoping for an Xmas period miracle 

Edited by goosey007

Posted
2 minutes ago, goosey007 said:

Think Cyprus may have a better chance 

Very funny ! 

The cold can stay away from here . Cold set ups in the UK often deliver lovely warm weather down here so that way UK coldies win and I win down here .

As you know I’m an ardent coldie  when in the UK but here in Cyprus warm, sunny and dry is my hope.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

The actual back edge of the Atmospheric River (AR) loops back slightly according to the GFS and dumps a lot of precipitation (that could fall as snowfall as this part of an AR is typically colder) for our Scottish members and maybe our Northern members. A few hundred miles South and this could have been a significant snow event for a lot of the UK. It also draws up a lot of precipitation from more of a southern tail of the Atmospheric River, whether this is still the colder tail or just the main part of the Atmospheric River we'll have to work out closer to time but if it is still part of the tail, it is possible that these boxing day snow events on the models are accurate it just depends on a few miles and the exacts of the AR. Could we be saved (ish) by an Atmospheric River?

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Very funny ! 

The cold can stay away from here . Cold set ups in the UK often deliver lovely warm weather down here so that way UK coldies win and I win down here .

As you know I’m an ardent coldie  when in the UK but here in Cyprus warm, sunny and dry is my hope.

Yes it’s commendable you are watching developments so closely for uk cold when your not in the country ! I cursed my luck when to Florida on 06th feb 2009 ! I was pig sick 😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express
6 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

Icon looks interesting very interesting 

How? Looks like an occasional chilly incursion with not enough amplification to generate any sort of sustained cold to me - am I missing something?

Edited by supernova

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
1 minute ago, supernova said:

How? Looks like the occasional chilly incursion and not particularly cold to me - am I missing something?

Given the Met Office day 6-15 forecast, I think we may all be missing something...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Not much for most?!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Outdoors

Perhaps he's referring to Scotland?!

3 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

Given the Met Office day 6-15 forecast, I think we may all be missing something...

Hopefully!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Not much for most?!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Outdoors

I don't trust accumulation charts at that range although I confess I'm unaware of Irish Sea SSTS - the uppers are -5/6 so altitude will be required ..

At a rough guess 200m+

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

ICON on all 3 runs out so far today has no interest in that low that forms NW of Iberia and heads to southern Britain on Boxing Day showing on GFS and EC. So not sure it's worth looking too much in detail from Xmas Day. Though we'll see if 12z GFS maintains that low from the SW for Boxing Day soon ...

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

Perhaps he's referring to Scotland?!

Hopefully!

Only Scottish highlands though, so not even populous areas in Scotland?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Tim Bland said:

That's why I want to move to the Highlands, you often win when 90% of the UK doesn't!

1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Seems not many understand that icon struggles with precip.

Meteociel icon algorithm is not able to process snowfall thats why my previous (accurate) post received so much backlash.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm, Person, Map

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express
9 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

I'd love you to be right!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I don't trust accumulation charts at that range although I confess I'm unaware of Irish Sea SSTS - the uppers are -5/6 so altitude will be required ..

At a rough guess 200m+

Below average going by Crosby Liverpool

Could contain: Text

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or dry, warm and breezy.
18 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Very funny ! 

Off topic but I am sure you have been skiing at Troodos. I remember sliding all over untreated roads there in sub-zero temperatures one April. I have Greek Cypriot roots.