Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

You keep on raving about scandy Heights and lack of em...voila....boom mm...theres ya ruddy scandy Heights!  

Boxing day?? Hmm what's it mean? Personally after having the inlaws round and the utter jive they speak about everything in general...I would say this day means to end up getting in a sparring match with em...winner takes all...you know what I mean 😉 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
15 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

And it hasn't for a lot more.

The cold was there for all, just not the snow. It delivered cold for at least a week and a half. The luck off ppn being present, or sea temps keeping coastal stuff as rain or sleet was just that, bad luck. May be next cold spell you might get the luck, and others might not.

• Like 7

Posted
41 minutes ago, MJB said:

Who said it does ?

I am pointing out pattern matching and saying Decembers do this and Januarys do that is pointless 

Reading it, it seems you are saying the opposite

Posted
32 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

The cold was there for all, just not the snow. It delivered cold for at least a week and a half. The luck off ppn being present, or sea temps keeping coastal stuff as rain or sleet was just that, bad luck. May be next cold spell you might get the luck, and others might not.

But the vast majority in winter on here want snow do they not? I live in the North East of England and didn't see any at all. Also it wasn't just about me, but a lot of people who didn't see anything. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything other than drizzle
3 hours ago, bluearmy said:

Sometimes …… at the moment I’d think of this analogy - Scott is thinking about putting his team together ……. It’s a very long way to the South Pole and he’s going to lose at the end anyway 😄

I like that analogy! Its good to prepare to fall, softens the blow a little. I'll still secretly get excited behind closed doors for no reason and prepare family for a white out that will never happen. I'm a sucker for false hope, keeps the world spinning 😅👍

• Like 1

Posted

It's looking very, very stormy next week according to the GFS, something which will have to be watched!

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Hurricane, Storm, Art, Person, Modern Art

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Pc, Electronics, Computer, Hurricane, Storm, Cat, Pet, Mammal

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Edited by cyclonic happiness
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
12 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Will we get another cold spell before March🤔

Our next proper cold spell will be just when we don't need it, and just after it becomes more or less impossible to snow in the south. How about May? 😉

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 hour ago, shawty1984 said:

Reading it, it seems you are saying the opposite

Not really 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Well, the time has come for the MJO to stand up and be counted.  Here’s ECM take (GFS similar):

Could contain: Plot, Chart

At the moment as of now we are in phase 5 with decent amplitude, but the model hits the COD by 27th.  If this proves by actual data not to be correct, then we can expect some more amplified solutions appearing in the model output, so I will be keeping my eye on this chart for the next few days.  

Meanwhile, the extended T264+ clusters shows promise right at the end with the demise, one way or another, of the southern euro heights.

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Person

Cluster 2 has most promise, but all continue to show evidence of blocking of some sort.

They all look OK to me Mike.

Fingers crossed..

Edit actually 2 and 4 preferred for me..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 hour ago, shawty1984 said:

But the vast majority in winter on here want snow do they not? I live in the North East of England and didn't see any at all. Also it wasn't just about me, but a lot of people who didn't see anything. 

I wouldn't disagree with that , what use is cold without the snow . We were lucky to have snow on the Sunday and then the Monday , no great shakes but enough to make everywhere white . The main roads cleared very quickly but elsewhere was left picturesque . 

Snow can be localised which leaves some rather frustrated .

I personally think we have had our best chance of snow for the Winter ( nothing scientific ) 

Posted
4 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

Wave-2 tries to initially dominate as the Eddy's increase into the Strat but its clear that Wave-1 should be the clear 'winner' and increase pressure on the Eurasian-North American side of the Vortex. The main problem is how long we can keep up the Eddy's from the Trop.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Atlas, Diagram

There may be a slight downturn in the strength of the upwelling of Eddy's by mid month. We may need to get a SSW by then as the refraction of Strat Wave(s) may be less helpful beyond that. Also the strength of downward reflection of the possibly weaker zonal wind may be less if the downturn in upward wave flux does verify.

Less upward wave flux activity would mean if a SSW does happen it may not end up being able to properly downwell -VE zonal winds into the Trop. That's something to discuss properly closer to time though as I don't know any numbers to put to it and that of course relies on a SSW happening in the first place.

After all there's signs that this still won't be enough to stop a neutral/slightly positive Northern Annular Mode (or the Arctic Oscillation) long-term according to the GFS though the GEOS does support it decreasing nearer the surface/lower to mid Trop and moving up slowly with the increasing upward wave flux activity that may be more realistic than the GFS but that's just some Christmas bits probably.

Hence why we may be relying on the Strat though because note the development of -VE NAM in the upper Strat at the end of the GFS run, we need at least some downward reflection into the Trop pattern (doesn't necessarily need a SSW) and relying on large upward wave flux activity for that. So we need to keep up a +VE AAM and hence poleward Eddy's or at least get a few rebounds as keeping up a +VE AAM for as long as previous is very unlikely.

Posts like these should go in more detailed model thread

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Tidal Wave said:

New Years Eve snow for northern England on the 12z GFS at 114 hours - big changes in the minor details making big differences.

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Nature, Outdoors Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Hurricane, Storm

Was just about to post the same but you saved me the trouble 😀

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

New Years Eve snow for northern England on the 12z GFS at 114 hours - big changes in the minor details making big differences.

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Nature, Outdoors Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Hurricane, Storm

GFS was showing 'runner' for today earlier last week, but was so far wrong