Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
10 minutes ago, swfc said:

Looking in the reliable time frames it all looks again bog standard weather. Dry is good granted but barring the 10hpa outlook its just an area of high pressure drifting about? Does anyone think cold without snow is like heat without subshine😒😒

No

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

On the face of it this doesnt look like a bad EC 500 anom 12z..10 day

1991945532_EDH101-240(18).thumb.gif.7ca58b0f14e7848e37b4af49b4c1275d.gif

...higher than average heights stretching from south of Greenland accross the Pole to the Aleutian side with lower than average heights in most of med and to the west of Spain..helping to weaken or split the trop vortex??....however we know that anomalies can be deceptive ... except that the actual mean i think is not a million miles away from this...

1756094646_EDH1-240(2).thumb.gif.1a6dcdf995ea48c2cdc5eda3ef35c509.gif

...mmm....

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, swfc said:

Looking in the reliable time frames it all looks again bog standard weather. Dry is good granted but barring the 10hpa outlook its just an area of high pressure drifting about? Does anyone think cold without snow is like heat without subshine😒😒

Won’t take a lot to draw in a more “ moisture based sourcing. I can understand the emphasis/ frustration in the Synoptics! - 1 thing is nailed pretty much... is an expansive HP rounding itself from biscay upto Iceland into the Atlantic!.. I don’t think I need to go in-depth much more  for the notions of the different play outs should (which is likely)- the switch n, direction of the placed high would make!!.. we’ll watch with interest... I certainly will 🤘

• Like 5

Posted
26 minutes ago, swfc said:

No it's far better than that, albeit I get it's very frustrating!!

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, RhHh said:

Where do we get the snow depth charts from please? I know they are pure rubbish but I need some hope to cling to!

There are no snow depth charts for Gatwick that are going to give you any hope at the moment !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
8 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Definitely one of the first focus points continues to be the block retrogression then linkup to the Pacific blocking leading to that elongated trop vortex extending in our direction from the NE 

gensnh-11-1-258-1.png gensnh-16-1-330.png

gensnh-21-1-348.png gensnh-42-1-282.png

gensnh-36-1-312.png gensnh-43-1-318.png

Yes, I agree, it is the one clear signal in amongst the noise from T240 onwards.

I am struggling to get a feel for the timescales over which I expect to see some results of the strat malarkey in the output for down here in the trop.  There is both the flushing down of westerlies, followed by downwelling of easterly winds - potentially, but it is confounded by the warming seeming to occur in the strat in several stages leading to (most likely?) a gradual displacement (rather less of a sudden SSW, if the 60N zonal wind reversal does happen with that scenario), then there’s what happens if a split occurs - something more dramatic.  

I think I’m sort of saying that I’m not sure the timing’s right for those charts you post to be a direct result of the strat warming, rather too quick, but I’m not sure.  On the other hand, the other members that cap us off at a UK high may be seeing the flushing of westerlies.  

Anyway, just musing - wonder what the pub run has in store?

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.
39 minutes ago, RhHh said:

Where do we get the snow depth charts from please? I know they are pure rubbish but I need some hope to cling to!

If you go on Meteociel and go to GFS click on Hauter Niege 

• Like 3

Posted
29 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

There are no snow depth charts for Gatwick that are going to give you any hope at the moment !

Almost as bad as here!! 😒

• Like 1

Posted

Heights building into Greenland at T186, could be better this run 

Could contain: Graphics, Art

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

Is it looking dire again🤮 When is this scandi high going to turn up fgs

April?! 🤔

Just now, Tidal Wave said:

The trend in the 10 day period is clearly towards a UK high so lots of dry and quiet weather coming our way:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

At least pressure remains lower over the Med.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes, I agree, it is the one clear signal in amongst the noise from T240 onwards.

I am struggling to get a feel for the timescales over which I expect to see some results of the strat malarkey in the output for down here in the trop.  There is both the flushing down of westerlies, followed by downwelling of easterly winds - potentially, but it is confounded by the warming seeming to occur in the strat in several stages leading to (most likely?) a gradual displacement (rather less of a sudden SSW, if the 60N zonal wind reversal does happen with that scenario), then there’s what happens if a split occurs - something more dramatic.  

I think I’m sort of saying that I’m not sure the timing’s right for those charts you post to be a direct result of the strat warming, rather too quick, but I’m not sure.  On the other hand, the other members that cap us off at a UK high may be seeing the flushing of westerlies.  

Maybe we won’t see a large enough reversal high up (ref size and affecting below 70N) to downwell easterlies into the trop - however, if we see enough of a reversal to force some westerlies down then perhaps we could then expect the strat profile to imprint onto the trop?? I’d take that for early feb at the moment 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

April?! 🤔

At least pressure remains lower over the Med.

Yep. No Euro high gives us a fighting chance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I seem to remember from previous events that the impact on the trop was not initially well modelled by any of the models and led to periods of volatility in output before things settled down.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Interesting period of model watching. Most roads lead to some form of UK high around days 9 to 10. At odds with the Exeter update today. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Major northerly plunge coming?  Or a big fat HP over us…with very chilly nights

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4

Posted

After day 10. Who knows? I suspect very few, if any have a scooby. Hopes will be high no doubt but it could easily be a case of limpet UK high giving some tepid frosts, slowly sinking south east. I will expect this but hope for so much more. Best way to keep grounded and avoid disappointment. 

• Like 2