Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Last time had a foot or more of snow from a single fall?

damianslaw

Posted

February 1991 34cms

January 1987 30cms

Feb/March 2018 16cms

December 2010 15cms

Generally other falls in the 90's and 2000's between 5 to 10cms.

Not sure about December 1981 lots of snow but individual falls in the 10 to 15cm range.

Jan 82 lots of drifting so difficult to tell how deep but about 15cms I think.

Jan and Feb 1979 lots of snow and drifting again but probably individual falls if around 15cms.

Posted
1 hour ago, Rob 79812010 said:

I don't remember Jan 2001. Was it the one that built up over the week from easterly showers? 

Apologies, it was late December, just before new year. Can't remember if it was 2000 or 2001 - both were cold.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
2 hours ago, Rob 79812010 said:

I don't think Manchester has ever had a foot from one fall or a build. 63 had 9 inches in Wythenshawe recorded and 6 inches in MC centre. Can't find anything for 47 but may have done then. I remember 5 inches Jan 79, Jan 96 (bizarrely from an Easterly) and Jan 2010. None of then ever quite hit 6 inches. I live 5 miles out of Manchester 50 metres

Less than 6 inches even during Jan 2010? wow that's not heavy at all, surprising to hear when the entire city was practically shut down for a full day, where abouts are you? I remember on Granada reports on the roof of the old studios before they moved to the new one they had a bit of a garden up there where they was filming and there was definitely at least 6 inches on the surfaces, more like 10 you could tell a mile off. And that was near the city centre in a built up zone, Fred the weatherman said he never seen it so bad in the centre since working there, they dedicated the entire program to the snow which is unusual so shows how bad it was. Where I was in the Tameside area of the city we had 14 inches, that was at 165m so quite high up though but even so I'd still have expected most of the lower parts of the city to have easily got to 6 inches. Maybe you was just unlucky or not under the heaviest band?

This below was at the Etihad stadium in Jan 2010 about 60m asl so not high up at all but clearly a very decent dumping.

manchester_city2_1553684c.jpg

Edited by Dark Horse
  • Thanks 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Less than 6 inches even during Jan 2010? wow that's not heavy at all, surprising to hear when the entire city was practically shut down for a full day, where abouts are you? I remember on Granada reports on the roof of the old studios before they moved to the new one they had a bit of a garden up there where they was filming and there was definitely at least 6 inches on the surfaces, more like 10 you could tell a mile off. And that was near the city centre in a built up zone, Fred the weatherman said he never seen it so bad in the centre since working there, they dedicated the entire program to the snow which is unusual so shows how bad it was. Where I was in the Tameside area of the city we had 14 inches, that was at 165m so quite high up though but even so I'd still have expected most of the lower parts of the city to have easily got to 6 inches. Maybe you was just unlucky or not under the heaviest band?

This below was at the Etihad stadium in Jan 2010 about 60m asl so not high up at all but clearly a very decent dumping.

manchester_city2_1553684c.jpg

January 2010 was disappointing for snow levels, although we still got a covering in central London, but nothing compared to the previous winter in February 2009, and better snowfall would hit central London again in December 2010.

We were spoilt back in those late 2000s and early 10s years.

• Like 1

Posted
On 14/01/2023 at 09:55, Alexis said:

Feb 96, Jan 2001 and Jan 2010 are the three major snowfalls I can remember. Seems like we only get one a decade!

Winter 2000/01 was one of the better ones of the time it was in after the rather poor 1990's winters (exceptions 1990/91, 1995/96 and 1996/97)

The late December 2000 cold spell was arguably the best one of the winter and the coldest one.

The only cold snap I can think of in January 2001 was around the 18th to 21st. Synoptically looked quite good but actually delivered a lot less than the charts suggest.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Sea, Nature, Water, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Atlas, Person, Face

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Sea, Nature, Water, Atlas, Face, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Person

The 21st was meant to be the frontal snow event which did deliver snow but was a let down as low lying areas saw none of it settle.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Person, Map, Face, HeadCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram

February 2001 looked poised to deliver something remarkable with a lot of cold air to the NE but in the end we never really tapped into this until well into March.

We did however get another cold period back end of February and into early March.

Edited by SqueakheartLW

Posted
59 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Winter 2000/01 was one of the better ones of the time it was in after the rather poor 1990's winters (exceptions 1990/91, 1995/96 and 1996/97)

The late December 2000 cold spell was arguably the best one of the winter and the coldest one.

The only cold snap I can think of in January 2001 was around the 18th to 21st. Synoptically looked quite good but actually delivered a lot less than the charts suggest.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Sea, Nature, Water, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Atlas, Person, Face

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Sea, Nature, Water, Atlas, Face, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Person

The 21st was meant to be the frontal snow event which did deliver snow but was a let down as low lying areas saw none of it settle.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Person, Map, Face, HeadCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram

February 2001 looked poised to deliver something remarkable with a lot of cold air to the NE but in the end we never really tapped into this until well into March.

We did however get another cold period back end of February and into early March.

Winter 00-01 reminded me a lot of winter 05-06 so much potential, but synoptics never quite aligned to deliver a notable wintry spell, until end of Feb and through March - which were both cold and snowy. Late Dec 05 delivered a weak easterly, late Dec 00 was very snowy here, we had about 5 inches which stuck around until New Years Day.

Jan 01 was quite cold and frosty but little snow, quite similiar to Jan 91. 

Posted

December 2009 and January 2010 we had a lot of snow, followed of course by late November 2010.

The most snow I can recall seeing on the ground however were both in March, 2013 and then the BFTE in 2018. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

get at least one major snowfall every season.. for example from memory only had one in the winter 2020-21 and 2011-12..other years can have multiple like 2010-11 when must have had at least 10 that season...this winter have had 2 thus far 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Without having to dig out my records here are some that easily made it or were very close.

March 2013

January 2010

february 2009

December 1995

January 1995

February 1991

January 1984

January 1982

December 1981

April 1981

December 1978

February 1978

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days
On 16/01/2023 at 22:15, Mapantz said:

Nothing remotely close to it since.

even further back than my location, 1982 here, looking a photographs taken back then and some new archives, it was pretty special, I have recollections of 1987/1991 but I doubt that was a foot, been a decade since the last proper covering of all surfaces with an inch of snow. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The largest single event I experienced was 6th January 2010, 10 hours, 21cm.

Also saw 29cm on the ground that day, followed by 23cm in Dec 10. There's a chance that 01 and Jan 13 may have breached 20cm but in Jan 13 I missed the final snowfall.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

Late March 2013 for me, when Eastern County Down received over 6 feet of snow, more in drifts from the bitter South Easterly winds picking up moisture from the Irish Sea. Truly memorable.