Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, markyo said:
_130495437_p0g2hs9v.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Tourists returning to the UK from Rhodes describe people being covered in ash and still smelling of smoke.

Looking grim in parts of the med at peak summer. The heat is certainly causing the issue.

There is evidence now emerging that the fires were deliberately started, of course made that much worse by the tinder dry conditions. What an awful, irresponsible thing to do

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
51 minutes ago, StingJet said:

Sorry bud ,  just to substantiate the "disagreement" on your post.
A difficult subject and very sad to hear reports of the devastating consequences of both wildfires and severe flooding close to home and around the world.
Whist the prolonged heat and tinder dry landscapes will significantly increase the risk of wildfires,  they in themselves are not the issue.   85% of all global wildfires are human induced, only 15% are down to natural causes, typically "hot lightning". 

Doesn't matter how they first start, if the area is dry, it will spread fast and be come a wild fire following the wind direction. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Doesn't matter how they first start, if the area is dry, it will spread fast and be come a wild fire following the wind direction. 

Of course it matters how they start, if its done on purpose my man! 🤔

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Wold Topper said:

Of course it matters how they start, if its done on purpose my man! 🤔

If it's done on purpose, some will get in trouble, but it is still a wild fire, it's not under control, right?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

If it's done on purpose, some will get in trouble, but it is still a wild fire, it's not under control, right?

It wouldn't develop into a wild fire if somebody hadn't of started it on 'purpose' was my point, 🤷‍♂️

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:
_130495437_p0g2hs9v.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Tourists returning to the UK from Rhodes describe people being covered in ash and still smelling of smoke.

Looking grim in parts of the med at peak summer. The heat is certainly causing the issue.

I’m gonna spend the entire winter posting articles about how the deep cold is affecting people in northern Canada and Alaska 😜

Today was quite nice - went to longleat today instead of yesterday because of the god awful weather. Stayed quite sunny for most of it though the heavens opened around 3ish.

What struck me on the drive down and back is the extent of the autumn colours beginning to appear. Easily the earliest I can remember seeing that. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine
1 hour ago, markyo said:

And your point is?

The risk for wildfires there must be a yearly occurrence. They do after all have 300 days of sunshine. Surely climate change has made no difference to their risk of wildfires.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Lovely Cirrus clouds at about 35.000 ft 

Could contain:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Hey guys, quick question - Dad is going Glasgow on Thursday morning via the WCML from the Midlands and was wondering if there is any threat of disruption due to heavy rain that day? 

Earlier today, the WCML was shut between Preston and Lancaster due to flooding. 

Thanks. 

Edited by JR319

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Think I've lost count of the amount of crepuscular rays this week, 😂 at least 4 out of the 7 evenings they've been seen. Tonight's definitely looked the best.

Reached about 25°C today; good deal of sunny spells, probably amounting to an acceptable value of 7-8 hours, with a little bit of cloud at times especially morning time. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
2 hours ago, markyo said:

You are entertaining i'll give you that...back so soon.🤣

Yeah I know, what can I say, I like this forum! Lol

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
50 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Lovely Cirrus clouds at about 35.000 ft 

Could contain:

My favourite cloud type! Caught a cirrus cloud last year shaped like a pair of angels wings. Gutted I forgot to snap a picture of it!

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Wold Topper said:

It wouldn't develop into a wild fire if somebody hadn't of started it on 'purpose' was my point, 🤷‍♂️

True, however I don't subscribe to the idea, a purposefully started fire, once out of control, and spreading through the countryside and people's house's, isn't a wild fire. It is.

Posted
9 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

True, however I don't subscribe to the idea, a purposefully started fire, once out of control, and spreading through the countryside and people's house's, isn't a wild fire. It is.

I don't disagree with what 'constitutes' a wild fire aj9 🙄, that wasn't/isn't and never was my point 👍

• Like 1

Posted

Royally Soaked-on-Trent. Can’t wait for a few drier days so I can once again see people desperately crying out that we all need ‘welcome’ rain when it’s inevitable that at any moment the rain will return for months on end.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:
_130495437_p0g2hs9v.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

I’m sorry I couldn’t actually stay away.

Is it hot there? Yes but remember Rhodes has one of driest summer climates in all of Europe averaging only 2.5mm across all three summer months. 5 out of 10 Junes pass completely rainless, 8 out of 10 July’s rainless and 9 out of 10 Augusts.

In any climate like that fire is an inherent risk so whether it’s 20C, 30C or 40C it won’t make any difference especially if fires are started by accident or deliberately they will always be severe. 

• Like 1

Posted

Shocking weekend on the East Coast side of the Yorkshire Wolds, nearly constant rain and grey clag, July my 'arris 🤔😔

Edited by Wold Topper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
26 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

No it hasnt. Wildfires are part of the Greek summer. Always have been, always will be. They are started deliberately and the police on Rhodes have stated that they are near to arrests of the fire starters.

In the high summer months any wildfires are made worse by the Northerly winds that sweep down from the Balkans;

the winds are known as the Meltemi.

One of the issues in some parts of Greece is the reluctance of local authorities to flatten vegetation and fell trees. If they did it they'd create natural firebreaks.

Edit: Parts of Northern Corfu on fire now. I know that part of Corfu v well; used to holiday in San Stefanos over a number of years.

Well said☺

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We’ve now exceeded 100mm for the month after 30mm fell today. First summer month to exceed 100mm since the abysmal June 2012. Worst 48 hours of summer weather in years. 

Thankfully this stubborn front moves south overnight. Somewhere tomorrow will get stuck with our leftovers. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2