Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Back to dull and chilly today after the one niceish day yesterday. Low teens max isn't disastrous for the time of year, but with no sun and a brisk easterly it's still much too cold for me to go out without a coat or sit outside for a coffee. Naturally now it's blue skies and sunshine, but it felt as though it was on the verge of raining for much of the afternoon.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Despite sunshine today I noticed it seemed to be blowing a gale and the wind has a noticable chill to it. It actually felt colder in the sun than some recent cold days.

• Like 2

Posted

Just got back in and wearing t shirt, thick woolly jumper, track suit top , fleece, track suit bottoms and thermal socks. Cranked the central heating up to 17c to takd the edge of the cold. Still awaiting a temperature above 16c. 50 days in to spring. Awful. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Not bad at all today. Sun was out basically all afternoon, appreciating any mild dry days with sun we can get these days!

Noticed a lot of forecasts for some horrible looking days about 4 days out, only for the day itself to actually end up being quite pleasant! This April is unfairly hated so far imo

Edited by plymsunshine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
6 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I don't understand it either. Even in the middle of winter, there is always that one person. No matter how cold it is.

You also always get someone during high summer wearing a long thick winter coat when it is 30 Celsius.

The latter is par for the course at my local bridge club. Last Thursday I'm sat at the table in short sleeves whilst my right hand opponent is wearing a coat. Last Monday evening it was so stuffy it felt like a July Spanish plume event. I don't understand how some people think they need it to be that warm and airless indoors when they seem to be able to survive the UK's outdoor temperatures which are well below 20C for the vast majority of the year.

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Methuselah said:

I just spotted one of my neighbours sitting in his garden in full sunlight wearing an overcoat. Why, you'll nae get vitamin D when you're wearing an overcoat! 🤔

Desperation. I WILL sit outside and enjoy the sun because IT'S SPRING FOR GODS SAKE!

There were probably people having barbeques in some of the worst of May-July 2012.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, plymsunshine said:

This April is unfairly hated so far imo

I don't hate this month but it is far from ideal as far as weather goes. Soil saturated and boggy all month so far. I have cancelled one walk this spring because of the sodden conditions and reccying another walk last weekend the ground was once again sodden. After the wet weather last week which pushed the month to date well above average my allotment is once again very hard to cultivate. I am leading a walk this coming Sunday through some local woodlands which have a carpet of bluebells at this time of year, and I will be embarassed if they are not in flower yet which they should be by now. They were starting to bloom in places last weekend so my fingers are crossed. I was hoping for some good spring warmth and sunshine to bring them on but that seems to be like asking for the moon on a stick this season. I don't expect 20C and wall to wall sunshine for the whole month but surely hoping for weather better than early November is not asking too much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

12C and dull today with heavy rain in the afternoon. Not very inspiring but much warmer than this day in 2017 when higher parts of Bratislava received 15-20cm of snow. The maximum at Koliba station in the city was a mere 1.8C:

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Person, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Weather

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Handbag, Car, Person, Winter, Weather, Blizzard, Snow, Storm

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, AderynCoch said:

12C and dull today with heavy rain in the afternoon. Not very inspiring but much warmer than this day in 2017 when higher parts of Bratislava received 15-20cm of snow. The maximum at Koliba station in the city was a mere 1.8C:

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Person, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Weather

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Handbag, Car, Person, Winter, Weather, Blizzard, Snow, Storm

It looks like Global Warming is on hold in Europe at the moment. A very slow start to spring. Perhaps 18c on 23rd December is incoming ???

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, al78 said:

The latter is par for the course at my local bridge club. Last Thursday I'm sat at the table in short sleeves whilst my right hand opponent is wearing a coat. Last Monday evening it was so stuffy it felt like a July Spanish plume event. I don't understand how some people think they need it to be that warm and airless indoors when they seem to be able to survive the UK's outdoor temperatures which are well below 20C for the vast majority of the year.

I know someone, quite old that struggles with keeping warm, always seems to be in a jacket most of the time, on hotter days perhaps just a jumper without the jacket.

It’s a beautiful start to Thursday down here on the south coast. Made it to 17C yesterday, probably similar today. Hopefully once I’m checked out of hospital later I can sit in the garden for an hour of two. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Yesterday was glorious sunshine, today, although a nice sunny start, will cloud over very shortly according to the cloud satellite. Well its to be expected, living in the North West UK (formerly South East until the country was flipped 180 after the SSW).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Apart from today, ( just been out to feed birds and the wind is very cold, but blue skies for a change) I try and keep a cheerful outlook on the weather. But the next 7 days just look like the most depressing weather forecast I have ever seen for this time of year! Cold, wet, temps  surppessed and only a very gradual gradiant of getting back to where we should be.

I think my cycling trip will again be canceled this weeekend because of rain, cold, wind. Jeeze UK weather please give us a break!

Edited by Andrew Hurcomb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Updated map of the UK! As I mentioned, the former south east is now the cloudiest place in the UK. Places in the southern quarter of UK like Scotland etc, with plenty of sunshine as you'd expect!

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Coast, Peninsula, Shoreline, Plot, Map

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Not so bothered about the upcoming northerly but hope we don't get too much influence from the Atlantic low next week, otherwise it really will be dismal and a return to the conditions of March.

Some contradiction between the Met Office text forecast (which suggests that the damp dismal conditions might dominate most of next week towards the southwest) versus the GFS (which keeps the northerly going for three days and when the Atlantic low does start moving in, pressure builds and it weakens - with the GFS 00z going for some benign weather late next week).

Heard someone in the shop today suggesting it was going to be wet from tomorrow until the end of next week - I'd presume this was from a worst-case-scenario forecast which has the Atlantic low dominating from early next week and bringing a whole week's worth of conditions resembling this March.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
17 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Updated map of the UK! As I mentioned, the former south east is now the cloudiest place in the UK. Places in the southern quarter of UK like Scotland etc, with plenty of sunshine as you'd expect!

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Coast, Peninsula, Shoreline, Plot, Map

It's been glorious here the last couple of days, with today and tomorrow set to be the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Beautiful sunny morning, crystal clear blue skies. Some cloud will be rolling in off the continent though later. 

Posted
58 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

It's been glorious here the last couple of days, with today and tomorrow set to be the same.

Well since Scotland is now in the Southern half of the UK I'd expect no less! Amazing to think that it costs more to travel to Scotland than it does to Southern Spain. If it were cheaper, I'd have spent a few days in Scotland today and tomorrow as I'm off work for a few days.

54 minutes ago, danm said:

Beautiful sunny morning, crystal clear blue skies. Some cloud will be rolling in off the continent though later. 

We had the cloud roll in at 9am sharp. Worst area of the UK today, as was the case Tuesday lol.

Posted
5 minutes ago, SunSean said:

We had the cloud roll in at 9am sharp. Worst area of the UK today, as was the case Tuesday lol.

Not too surprising given we are under an easterly. 

• Like 1

Posted

Stunning again here today- the strong breeze isn't ideal but it certainly makes the sky clearer and more blue.

Out of the wind it feels warm in the strengthening sun. Hard to complain about the last 3 days.

Posted
22 minutes ago, danm said:

Not too surprising given we are under an easterly. 

The sunny period of March 2020 was easterly as was most of April 2020 and the first and last part of May 2020 and yet it was glorious almost everywhere. Not the case this time. I wonder what other factors are causing so much cloud in the south east?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

Now you know how we feel... vivid memories of May last year when the SE was having clear blue skies and 25C while we were stuck with drizzle and 18...

Posted
4 minutes ago, plymsunshine said:

Now you know how we feel... vivid memories of May last year when the SE was having clear blue skies and 25C while we were stuck with drizzle and 18...

Well it hasn’t been that bad at all to be fair. It’s beautiful and sunny right now:

Could contain: Plant, Tree, Tree Trunk, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Neighborhood

Monday was also sunny, it got to 17.5c. Tuesday started sunny but became cold and cloudy, and yesterday we had plenty of sunny spells too. 

• Like 1