Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer Solstice 2023

Posted

Nearly there, not much more daylight to come - maybe a minute or two until the nights start drawing in again for Winter in a week's time (Yessss !!!)

image.thumb.png.38f2df0729e2ff27057c495f2a127377.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I can't believe we are coming up to the midpoint of the year already. Another year that's flying by.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Frostillicus said:

Can't wait for true nights to return. 

True night returns here around the 28th July

• Like 3

Posted

Warmest part of the year still to come. Depression kicks in when clocks go back end of October. Looking at doing a couple of test matches India v England in Jan/Feb 2024. Will put a dent in the cold wet and darkness. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Just a week to the solstice. I was actually thinking about christmas for the first time this year yesterday!

I feel like winter was only yesterday as we had no Spring!

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Winter was spring 😂

1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Warmest part of the year still to come. Depression kicks in when clocks go back end of October. Looking at doing a couple of test matches India v England in Jan/Feb 2024. Will put a dent in the cold wet and darkness. 

Whilst I'm not hardcore enough to want it dark at 4pm, the return of proper nights cant come soon enough. Who wants broad daylight at 4 am?

Edited by Frostillicus
Typo
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Winter was spring 😂

Whilst I'm not hardcore enough to want it dark at 4pm, the return of proper nights cant come soon enough. Who wants broad daylight at 4 am?

I can agree with that. It's weird.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
52 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Winter was spring 😂

You may not want dark at 4pm or light at 4 am but for me they are both naturally equal having said that i would choose summer solstice nights without having to think about it.

51 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I can agree with that. It's weird.

Nothing wierd about light at 4 am,it happens every year for a few weeks anyway!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

We had our spring in February. 😁

• Insightful 1

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Yes doesn't seem long ago I was commenting on the earliest sunset.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Frostillicus said:

Winter was spring 😂

I'm asleep at 4am. I don't notice so it doesn't bother me! However in winter I am wide awake at 4pm so that does bother me!!

• Like 1

Posted

As uncomfortable as having a western-facing window can be for the evening indoors heat, I must admit that the long daylight hours and weather like we've had this year with endless blue skies (minus one or two day exceptions) has been a welcome relief. I think it was 2008 when we had that summer of nothing but cloud and rain, for those with S.A.D. it was a struggle to find any optimism that year given the winter had equally been filled with endless cloud, rain, and low light.

This year i've been getting as many miles under the feet as possible whether it's been for a local walk or somewhere a bit further away for new views, winter for me starts on the Autumn Equinox in mid-September when we lose the last 12/12 daylight hours. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

As uncomfortable as having a western-facing window can be for the evening indoors heat, I must admit that the long daylight hours and weather like we've had this year with endless blue skies (minus one or two day exceptions) has been a welcome relief. I think it was 2008 when we had that summer of nothing but cloud and rain, for those with S.A.D. it was a struggle to find any optimism that year given the winter had equally been filled with endless cloud, rain, and low light.

This year i've been getting as many miles under the feet as possible whether it's been for a local walk or somewhere a bit further away for new views, winter for me starts on the Autumn Equinox in mid-September when we lose the last 12/12 daylight hours. 

I don't mind light per se, I just don't like the heat that comes with it. Nothing better than a sunny day in the winter 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
43 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

That 2007-2012 period was a nightmare for summer lovers. I remember people wondering if we’d ever see a hot summer again… then came along July 2013. 

My bedroom, kitchen & living room windows all face west so it doesn’t take long for the indoor temperature to skyrocket.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
17 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

. Who wants broad daylight at 4 am?

yes please😎

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

I suppose where you live, you would 😂

one of the advantage of returning home to the UK when i retire ...sunrise at 4am in the summer and not being dark at 10am in the morning in winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
16 hours ago, hillbilly said:

You may not want dark at 4pm or light at 4 am but for me they are both naturally equal having said that i would choose summer solstice nights without having to think about it.

Nothing wierd about light at 4 am,it happens every year for a few weeks anyway!

Yep it does, just a few weeks time though and the darkness will be creeping in at that unearthly time once again on a rather slow descent initially to the shortest day🤣

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Blackout blinds are useful at this time of year, if you don’t like the early sunrises. I love the light evenings, I can get so much work done outside. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
On 14/06/2023 at 18:36, CreweCold said:

True night returns here around the 28th July

15th August here - right now we have twilight between 00.30 and 02.30 before the sky lights up ahead of sunrise

Thank goodness for blackout curtains !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning all. 🙂

Well, this is it… 21st of June 2023… The day of the summer solstice. 15:57 is the time when it happens… I’ll see you all on the other side of it.