Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Perceptions of summer 1991.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

Hi everyone I was wondering what your perceptions of summer 1991 were?  

June was dreadful and probably the worst since 1972, so much rain, cold and miserable, only 2012 could really rival June 1991.  

July was much better though still changeable at times and think the temperatures broke into the 30s as well, not too bad a summer month really.  

August carried on in the same vein as August really and pretty respectable though August of the previous year was better.    

Altogether summer 1991 wasn't too bad, but the lousy June let it down.    

Posted

June 91 stuck in my memory as being a long cold grey month.

I was on work experience then, and remember working for a decorating firm. I was painting outside, and the wind was bloody cold. Mind you, I had the radio on to cheer me up. Nothing like a bit of Incognito, Erasure and Lenny Kravitz to keep me motivated lol.

July did improve, as it started off quite warm, turned hot with some thundery activity on the first Friday. 

August was mixed with warm and sunny days, but also cool wet ones.

It got better as it went along, but was a disappointment after 89 and 90.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

1989 and 1990 had some exceptional summer moments I have to say, even though there was more rain in Summer 1991 it wasn't enough to alleviate the drought.    

Posted
3 minutes ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

1989 and 1990 had some exceptional summer moments I have to say, even though there was more rain in Summer 1991 it wasn't enough to alleviate the drought.    

91 was a bit meh. It did have some late summer warmth going into September. 

I have mixed feelings about it, because I was unwell during the late august and early September hot spell. I had summer flu, so that kind of tainted it a little. 

It kind of fell into that period of mediocre for me, along with the poor 92 and 93 summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

think it was better in the south, agreed about june, but july and august werent bad, dry, warm, but in derby no heatwave and hot sun.

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

And Bryan Adams was number 1 for eternity.

Why did people buy that for so long lol.

I bought his 'Waking up the neighbour's' album which featured that song.  However, I did get fed up with it in the end lol! 

As for the summer, I seem to remember it being a rather cloudy affair and hot at times in August.

I'll leave you with this!  Enjoy!! 🤣

Posted
19 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

August was mixed with warm and sunny days, but also cool wet ones.

Couldn't have been that many wet ones. It's one of the driest Augusts on record. 10th driest on record for England and Wales and 4th driest for the SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

At Heathrow, June 1991 was the coldest June on record. July was an average month, and August slightly warmer than average and sunny. 

It reminds me of the 2016 summer, but June that year was exceptionally wet and dullest on record, rather than cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

The only poor summer in the 90s was 1998.June 1991 may not have been good but for me brought up as a farmer Summer is July and August and June does not matter so much.July and August 1991 were in fact quite decent and overall the Summer was fairly average despite June.

Posted
53 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

The only poor summer in the 90s was 1998.June 1991 may not have been good but for me brought up as a farmer Summer is July and August and June does not matter so much.July and August 1991 were in fact quite decent and overall the Summer was fairly average despite June.

92 and 93 were also poor, but 92 had some hot weather and lots of thunderstorms.

96 was also mixed and 97 was very wet and cloudy in between the warmer periods.

98 was the worst summer overall.

The summers of 90, 94 and 95 were the best from memory.

Posted
32 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I would go along with that.  Summer 1999 was reasonable I think with a hot late July to early August period?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
26 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

92 and 93 were also poor, but 92 had some hot weather and lots of thunderstorms.

96 was also mixed and 97 was very wet and cloudy in between the warmer periods.

98 was the worst summer overall.

Maybe different for you in the South but here in the hilly Pennines 1992 was very decent takingaway a few very wet days,1993 was average althoug cool,1994 average and three good or exceptional Augusts from 1995 to 1997.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i liked the summer of 1991 weather wasn't bad either 😉

Posted
On 15/07/2023 at 22:53, Don said:

I would go along with that.  Summer 1999 was reasonable I think with a hot late July to early August period?

Yeah 1999 had some good spells, but I also remember it being a very thundery summer. Lots of overnight storms in the London region. Similar to 1994.

Posted
On 15/07/2023 at 22:53, hillbilly said:

Maybe different for you in the South but here in the hilly Pennines 1992 was very decent takingaway a few very wet days,1993 was average althoug cool,1994 average and three good or exceptional Augusts from 1995 to 1997.

92 was good early on. I remember it being quite pleasant in April, and May was very warm and sunny, while June was more mixed but still hot at times. 

July and August had spells of hot days, but it was also very unsettled and on the cool side at times.