Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Prediction/discussion of European heatwave.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Penguin16 said:

What’s your prediction? Could the highest temperature ever recorded in Europe be surpassed?

In a warming world, anything is possible. 🤔

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Thankfully we might miss the worst of it here in northern Greece (I like summery weather, but would be quite happy to never see 40C in my lifetime; highest temp I've ever experienced is about 37, both here and on Aug 10 2003 in the UK, and happy to see it stay that way!)

Thessaloniki has three difficult (38+) days forecast Fri-Sat-Sun, with one 40C on the Sun, the same as Fri just gone. Here, out in the country a bit at 300-400m altitude, temps tend to be around 3C lower so presumably maxing out at around 37C. And that's plenty hot enough!

I'm glad I'm not in Italy, or southern Greece, in all honesty.

Even out of these extreme heat bursts, the "normal" temp seems to be around 2 or 3C higher than the long term averages, and this was the case last year too; my guesstimate for the mean max for this location is 29-30C (3C lower than Thessaloniki's 32-33), yet days below 30 are rare in settled weather and 32 seems to be the norm for this year and last. (On the other hand the second half of Aug last year was very unsettled and thundery for here which kept temps mostly in the 20s).

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Some meteorologists saying there's a chance, albeit small at the moment, that the heat will push northwards towards the UK at some point in August. I'm not sure how much I believe that but considering the expected developments in the Pacific and their theorised impact on our current stagnant Jet Stream, I guess it's not out of the question that we could see some very serious heat next month. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
49 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Some meteorologists saying there's a chance, albeit small at the moment, that the heat will push northwards towards the UK at some point in August. I'm not sure how much I believe that but considering the expected developments in the Pacific and their theorised impact on our current stagnant Jet Stream, I guess it's not out of the question that we could see some very serious heat next month. 

Hopefully as the dome bursts like last time and not prolonged, if it does happen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
Just now, alexisj9 said:

Hopefully as the dome bursts like last time and not prolonged, if it does happen.

Seems we only get extremes in this feast or famine climate so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just persistent heat throughout august to balance out what we've had in July 

Posted
15 hours ago, razorgrain said:

Seems we only get extremes in this feast or famine climate so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just persistent heat throughout august to balance out what we've had in July 

You mean vastly overcompensating this rather average, wet July?