Storms and Convective discussion - September 2023

Supacell

Posted
3 hours ago, Biggin said:

Majorca about to get battered by the huge storm coming out from the main land

My mum's there. She said it missed 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

I believe this is the area to watch on Satellite and eventually radar this evening: 

image.thumb.png.5b2aeb20c35416daf1ce2c9214dc6992.png

It's going to take until the early hours for that to crawl its way to the UK mainland. New Arome rolling out now...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
6 minutes ago, ChannelThunder said:

I believe this is the area to watch on Satellite and eventually radar this evening: 

It's going to take until the early hours for that to crawl its way to the UK mainland. New Arome rolling out now...

Good stuff, the latest UKv is a peach for Sunday morning,  it'll probably be totally different on the next one of course 

BTW Is the Arome free to view?

Edited by Southern Storm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
17 minutes ago, Southern Storm said:

Good stuff, the latest UKv is a peach for Sunday morning,  it'll probably be totally different on the next one of course 

BTW Is the Arome free to view?

Morning is quite possibly the worst time for storms 😭

It's free on a few sites, yeah. My go-to for ease-of-use is WXCharts - that link should take you straight to the 'Radar Reflectivity' chart for England & Wales. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
2 minutes ago, ChannelThunder said:

It's free on a few sites, yeah. My go-to for ease-of-use is WXCharts - that link should take you straight to the 'Radar Reflectivity' chart for England & Wales. 

Thanks for that, added to bookmarks 👍

3 minutes ago, ChannelThunder said:

Yeah I was thinking the same but beggars can't be choosy can they, if it's light then so be it, at least sunrise is later now, we only need a couple of hours swing in the timings and we may be in luck 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!
33 minutes ago, ChannelThunder said:

Yep absolutely bang on the money.... and right on cue the radar is coming to life for northern bay of Biscay... 👍

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
8 minutes ago, ChannelThunder said:

Looking at that wxchart...precious little for the south east as things stand...btw...sorry for sounding silly but what is radar feflectivity exactly and how does it differ to precipitation rate...thanks..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Hoping for morning thunderstorms on Sunday...that's our best chance here I think

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Quite the active day across Iberia this afternoon. That instability heading north over the next 48 hours and eventually reaching the channel by Sunday.

Remains to be seen which exact areas see some juicy storms, but the south could be in for a chance potentially!

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!
2 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Quite the active day across Iberia this afternoon. That instability heading north over the next 48 hours and eventually reaching the channel by Sunday.

Remains to be seen which exact areas see some juicy storms, but the south could be in for a chance potentially!

Could contain:

Could contain:

Absolutely, as per 2 mins ago it's all eyes to the south... 🙃

Could contain:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, minus10 said:

Looking at that wxchart...precious little for the south east as things stand...btw...sorry for sounding silly but what is radar feflectivity exactly and how does it differ to precipitation rate...thanks..

Think of it like the model's version of how it 'thinks' the rain radar will look at a certain point in the future, i.e. blues as light rain, up to reds as torrential. That's probably the simplest way of explaining it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Eagle Eye with what I think will be an accurate forecast yet again. Him and Nick F on here are excellent. Really missing Dan Holleys forecasts. Also Paul Sherman had excellent input. Does anyone know if he’s ok? Haven’t seen him on here for ages. 

Sunday is still a very mixed picture. Looks like a more evening, early part of the night event now, rather than a 1-4AM job. Quite a few runs showing something quite significant heading through NE France maybe Kent on early Monday morning. Still not nailed down whatsoever as to what we will actually see. The instability is certainly still showing however, which is the main thing.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Arome 12Z is a big messy mess! That’ll be now fun if that much drizzly turns up tomorrow.

I'm calling tomorrow a right off claggy mess Thanks to the French. You mark my words.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Must admit I’m not as optimistic as I was based on the latest models - but by no means a right off 

• Like 5

Posted
10 hours ago, It's a Philcast said:

Ahhhh trainspotting.....I loved it myself standing out in all weathers underscoring class 37's, HST's and the like in my trainspotting booklet.....reminds me when I watched a triple header of 37s head up the lickey incline in the early 80s during a summer storm...my family called me nuts......no change there then!! 🤪 If only i'd taken a camera to capture the Lightning at Lickey incline.....food for thought for a future storm ayyy??

3rd Railway buff on here, I model the western region 1967 westbury way so got westerns (all lima inc 1 resprayed to blue half yellow panel), class 41 warships x3 silverfox on lima chassis , normal warships (lima), hymeks mostly triang and 1 hornby), 2 class 22s silverfox on hornby 29 chassis plus steam (all my tender locos are tender driven), dmus (all lima), blue pullmans etc, plenty of milk traffic as well mixed rake mk1s etc, as layout is 4 tracked (hornby steel austria track) with branch line and milk depot, plus through station (my first set was in 1991 intercity 225), I dont have time to go spotting anymore due to work commitments etc as too busy on the water but my old haunt with dad and grandfather was the bridge next to cardiff canton diesel depot also cardiff central when i was younger, I love the manors and 43xxs though due to their bark 

Anyway back to weather, 

be interesting to see the forecasts tomorrow for sun. luckily i got nothing planned this weekend but working following weekend at cbyc as regatta on.

Edited by viking_smb
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

The ESSL going for quite a widespread 50% risk. Obviously it is no time to judge yet and high-res models will start to become useless in the next 24 hours. Anyways good luck to anyone wishing about getting a glimpse of a storm to finish off this poor season.

Could contain:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I've already thrown in the towel for this weekend. Once again it looked good 2 days ago on the models for tomorrow night, but now we're seemingly down to a band of rain at 9am on Sunday which will likely contain lightning in the channel, but die off as it comes in here.

• Like 4