Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cool/cold but sunny months

SunSean

Posted

April 2021 again was far and away the best example I could think of- the double of over 200 hours of sunshine and a day with lying snow was not something I expect to see round here very often to say the least. All those frosty nights and glorious sunny days as well, it was a great month.

December 2001 was the other I immediately thought of. Although it had some freezing fog that I remember it was still significantly sunnier than average and was similarly frosty and went very cold at the end with some snow.

In sharp contrast to the two very dull months either side, I'd say February 1996 also qualifies. As well as having a low mean temp it was quite a bit sunnier than average round here.

It's harder to find a summer month, that combination seems elusive then. But one notably sunny summer month did just make it as colder than average- June 2015. The mean max was slightly above but the mean min a bit more below. Many days were around 20-21 by day dropping to single figures at night, only the last couple reached 25, it had an impressive 237 hours of sun. Actually a perfect month for being dry, sunny, warm by day, cooling down at night. Easily forgotten because the rest of the summer and May were so poor.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
1 hour ago, Frigid said:

April 2021 has been mentioned many times, and it's not hard to see why.  It was seriously cold by night, lowest record CET minimum in the entire series. It also had record breaking amounts of sunshine (223hrs).. just 10hrs less than April 2020. April 2021 was also drier than 2020, just 18.8mm fell.. and most of it was in snowfall. One of my most favourite months, up there with December 2010 and March 2013. 

September 2015 has been mentioned a few times, but I haven't seen anyone talk about Sep 2020. For here it was both drier and sunnier than 2015.. and was also quite cool. Second half was quite chilly with a few frosts near the end of the month. 

September 2020 was great, although it was more of a warmer month in my area. Would love a November version of April 2021- say 145 hours of sun, dry but 15mm in precipitation of snow and crisp temps. Sunny Novembers seem to very rare, although 2021 wasn't too shabby of recent times.

31 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

December 2001 really stands out for me. Lots of crystal clear blue skies and temps in low single figures.

I was young but I distinctly remember thinking this must be what continental winters are like.

Yeah, I don't remember it unfortunately but it definitely looks decent looking at the stats. Gotta be due another December like that hopefully!

Posted
31 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

April 2021 again was far and away the best example I could think of- the double of over 200 hours of sunshine and a day with lying snow was not something I expect to see round here very often to say the least. All those frosty nights and glorious sunny days as well, it was a great month.

December 2001 was the other I immediately thought of. Although it had some freezing fog that I remember it was still significantly sunnier than average and was similarly frosty and went very cold at the end with some snow.

In sharp contrast to the two very dull months either side, I'd say February 1996 also qualifies. As well as having a low mean temp it was quite a bit sunnier than average round here.

It's harder to find a summer month, that combination seems elusive then. But one notably sunny summer month did just make it as colder than average- June 2015. The mean max was slightly above but the mean min a bit more below. Many days were around 20-21 by day dropping to single figures at night, only the last couple reached 25, it had an impressive 237 hours of sun. Actually a perfect month for being dry, sunny, warm by day, cooling down at night. Easily forgotten because the rest of the summer and May were so poor.

Yeah June 2015 doesn't get talked about much but I do remember it being pretty enjoyable.

Posted

for me locally 

January 2019 - Sunniest on record for me. Not especially cold but did have a notable cold snap.

February 2013 - Third coldest in 20 years generally cold and sunny the whole month, very little snow or rain.

March 2020 - Can’t think of any other March’s that were cold and sunny. March 2020 wasn’t especially cold nor sunny but do remember it being cold and sunny just before lockdown. 

April 2021 - First April I’ve recorded that had a average minimum below freezing, second sunniest on record as well. 18 air frosts I recorded that month. That’s six more than a typical January. Maxima was only a little below average but with many, many very frosty mornings it’s very noticeable as a cold and sunny month. 

May 2010 - Did have a very warm spell but prior to that it was often quite cool, particularly in the first week. Lots of sunshine during the month.

June ??? - Can’t think of a cool and sunny June in the last 20/25 years or so for Scotland. 

July 2000 - Again grasping at straws but from memory it was often very cool in the first half but dull. The second half was very sunny though. Not got many memories of that month but I do think it was one of the sunniest Julys in Scotland. 

August 2007 - Coming after a very poor July, august felt like a really good summer month even though it was cool, felt like early May much of time. Very sunny and quite dry though.

September 2012 - Definitely the coolest September for temperatures I can think of. Mainly around the low teens for most of the month. Many cold mornings with some frost. 

October 2003 - Very dry but often very cool and sunny. Felt like late winter.

November 2013 - probably one of the frostiest months I can remember. Very sunny most days and very crisp.

December 2022 - temperature didn’t rise above 0.C for a week between the 9th-16th. Sunshine in abundance all month.

Other than June have some memories of weather like that for all months.

• Like 1

Posted

January 2022 - Frosty nights, but mild days. Very very sunny and dry
February 2016 - Often forgotten due to that horrific December, but was similar to Jan 2022
March 2010 - First half felt like Winter, and came with wall-to-wall sunshine. Second half was average
April 2021 - Cold frosty nights but temepratures more appropriate by day. 2nd sunniest on record
May 2005 - Wasnt interesed in weather but i remember how cool it felt in the second week, depsite wall-to-wall sunshine. It felt like March
June 2015 - A springlike June rather than summer, but very sunny and dry
July 2007 - An infamous terrible month, with maximum temperatures 2c below average and a washout. However, Sunshine was near average. Cant think of others
August 2007 - Once again, very cool and felt like September, however, the month was at least sunny and dry
September 2015 - Anticyclonic, sunny and cool. End of the month was wamrer with foggy nights. The month felt more like April
October 2003 - Sunniest on record, along with many chilly nights. That month felt like early Spring, not Autumn
November 2017 - Once again,  very sunny, dry and perhaps my favourite November. Would easily pass for an average March
December 2022 - Cold up until the 18th, as well as being sunny. All came to a halt on the 19th

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
On 02/10/2023 at 16:28, SunSean said:

Damn, I always imagine Ireland as exceptionally cloudy but you got some good totals in there! Some of the worst months in my area (May 2021, August 2010, June 2013) you got great levels of sunshine! You even beat us for December 2010 & 2022, quite surprising. Thanks for the info.

There is an amusing tendency for Ireland to "behave different" at times. I mean look at that sunshine total distribution in May 2021 in the map below of Ireland vs Great Britain generally. August 2010 we were fortunate to find ourselves in a clearer arctic maritime airmass, pretty unusual and rare for a summer month. Didn't get that lucky in rubbish like summer 2020 or July 2023 though 😏 

Screenshot2023-10-08at11_05_39.thumb.png.2fdc1b4cd7784510dbd709633430fa1b.png

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, BruenSryan said:

There is an amusing tendency for Ireland to "behave different" at times. I mean look at that sunshine total distribution in May 2021 in the map below of Ireland vs Great Britain generally. August 2010 we were fortunate to find ourselves in a clearer arctic maritime airmass, pretty unusual and rare for a summer month. Didn't get that lucky in rubbish like summer 2020 or July 2023 though 😏 

Screenshot2023-10-08at11_05_39.thumb.png.2fdc1b4cd7784510dbd709633430fa1b.png

What's that website? Looks pretty useful for stats!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
44 minutes ago, SunSean said:

What's that website? Looks pretty useful for stats!

The best stats site around, made passionately by one of our Mets in his free time!

http://starlingsroost.ddns.net/weather/ukobs/sun_month_summary_map.php

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
On 08/10/2023 at 01:12, baddie said:

January 2022 - Frosty nights, but mild days. Very very sunny and dry
February 2016 - Often forgotten due to that horrific December, but was similar to Jan 2022
March 2010 - First half felt like Winter, and came with wall-to-wall sunshine. Second half was average
April 2021 - Cold frosty nights but temepratures more appropriate by day. 2nd sunniest on record
May 2005 - Wasnt interesed in weather but i remember how cool it felt in the second week, depsite wall-to-wall sunshine. It felt like March
June 2015 - A springlike June rather than summer, but very sunny and dry
July 2007 - An infamous terrible month, with maximum temperatures 2c below average and a washout. However, Sunshine was near average. Cant think of others
August 2007 - Once again, very cool and felt like September, however, the month was at least sunny and dry

September 2015 - Anticyclonic, sunny and cool. End of the month was wamrer with foggy nights. The month felt more like April
October 2003 - Sunniest on record, along with many chilly nights. That month felt like early Spring, not Autumn
November 2017 - Once again,  very sunny, dry and perhaps my favourite November. Would easily pass for an average March
December 2022 - Cold up until the 18th, as well as being sunny. All came to a halt on the 19th

Agree wholeheartedly on both July and August of 2007, it made the summer at the time ⏲️ seem like a complete mockery and it was a start of a climate change pause which lasted until June 2013.