Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cool/cold but sunny months

SunSean

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I have been thinking lately, what are some cool or cold months that were also really sunny? April 2021 springs to mind for the abundance of sunshine and moderate temps yet often ice cold nights. This combined to make for a really unique and memorable month which I, even as a heat lover, enjoyed incredibly. There is something about that kind of alpine feel I really enjoy, with the crisp cool sunshine! I have always said that sunshine is my most important attribute for a month and I love warm sunshine but also even cool or cold sunshine! What are some cool or cold sunny months that come to mind for you?

Just for fun, here is a cool/cold but sunny year-

January 1980? Average max of 6 degrees with a highest temp of 11c but significantly above average for sunshine (I wasn't alive for this month so no idea how it was other than the stats!) Jan 2017 is one I remember for having some chilly days but also periods of sunshine.

February 1988? Bang on average for temperature (8.7c) so not particularly cold I guess and 14c was the highest temp but impressive sunshine total of 116 hours. Again, before I was alive, what was this like?

March 1995? A single decimal point below average (11.2c) but a whopping 195 hours of sunshine! 16c was the highest temp recorded. I would have been 6 years old so no recollection! March 2020 I remember for being quite cool but sunny- we never got past 15c that month.

April 2021- Already mentioned but an extremely sunny month (232 hours at Shoeburyness) and a max temp of 18c with the average max being just 13.1c for a taste of alpine goodness!

May 2005? I was only a teenager so no recollection but a respectable 228 hours of sun and with an average max of 17.7c, slightly below average. Probably not the best example as 30c was reached if I remember correctly but it's the only sunny one I could see with a lower average max temp.

June 2001? 0.5c below average max but a decent 248 hours of sunshine. Only breached 25c 4 times the whole month.

July 1997? Again, no recollection but the highest temp was only 27c and the average max was 0.2c below average, with a decent 241 hours of sun.

August 2007- Don't remember it much but the average max is way below at 21.5c (1.7c below average) and again only breached 25c 4 times but it was much on the sunnier side.

September 2015- Only breached 20c 5 times with a max of 22c. The average max was 1.5c below average with 18.6c but the sunshine levels were much above average. Cool, crisp and sunny.

October 2003- 1.3c below average max (14.5c) but highly impressive sunshine levels with 161 hours at London & 166 at Southend! 2008 could also be used but was slightly warmer and slightly less sunshine but still a great crisp & sunny month.

November 2005? 0.5c below average max (10.7c) and highly sunny with an impressive 93 hours at London but I don't remember this month. I do remember November 2021 being cool, crisp & sunny however with a lovely 105 hours being recorded at Shoeburyness.

December 2001? I was only 12 so once again don't remember but 1.4c below average (7.3c) and an impressive 93 hours of sun, which for December, is really impressive!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

I think September 1986 is one of the classic go-to months for this.

I remember the month and it was very fine and sunny. Don't remember it feeling cold, probably because the cold was focused on night-time and the afternoons were reasonably warm. I did go to school on the train at this time, though, and do remember frequent frosty mornings quite early in the season were a not-so-rare feature of my schooldays.

It's interesting that cool by day, sunny periods from around mid-May to mid-September are practically unheard of, presumably because the sunshine lifts the daytime temps above average. I remember one rare case in early June 2005 when it was sunny (as in, clear blue skies) for about three days and the maxima remained below 20.

Down here July 1997 was rather warm, with a mix of warm sunny periods (often with flabby highs, so some large Cu buildup) and rather humid southwesterlies which produced average day temps and warm nights.

February 1988 was a month of two distinct parts. I remember the first part was wet and windy, a continuation of January's conditions, before it turned sunny and dry shortly before midmonth. The latter part was somewhat on the cold side, if I remember right: the half term (we were short-changed with only two or three days) was sunny and dry.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I think September 1986 is one of the classic go-to months for this.

I remember the month and it was very fine and sunny. Don't remember it feeling cold, probably because the cold was focused on night-time and the afternoons were reasonably warm. I did go to school on the train at this time, though, and do remember frequent frosty mornings quite early in the season were a not-so-rare feature of my schooldays.

It's interesting that cool by day, sunny periods from around mid-May to mid-September are practically unheard of, presumably because the sunshine lifts the daytime temps above average. I remember one rare case in early June 2005 when it was sunny (as in, clear blue skies) for about three days and the maxima remained below 20.

Down here July 1997 was rather warm, with a mix of warm sunny periods (often with flabby highs, so some large Cu buildup) and rather humid southwesterlies which produced average day temps and warm nights.

February 1988 was a month of two distinct parts. I remember the first part was wet and windy, a continuation of January's conditions, before it turned sunny and dry shortly before midmonth. The latter part was somewhat on the cold side, if I remember right: the half term (we were short-changed with only two or three days) was sunny and dry.

Thanks. I wonder if there are many sunny but snowy months! December 2022 wasn't too bad for this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
54 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Thanks. I wonder if there are many sunny but snowy months! December 2022 wasn't too bad for this.

February 1895 comes to mind. It had a significant snow event in the beginning, and then turned extremely dry and cold as a deep Scandi high moved over - Daily lows were widely below -20C for over a consecutive week, even in England. I assume the deep Scandi high would've brought high sunshine levels while it was also a very snowy and icy month due to the extreme cold, but I don't actually know for certain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

April 2021.  Maximum temperature wasn't far from average but the minimum was the coldest since 1922.  Almost as sunny as April 2020 IIRC. 

June 2015

September 2015

April 2017?

A while ago, but IIRC October 1992 was very cool, but quite sunny 

December 1992 (albeit some areas probably suffered persistent fog around xmas)

December 2010 was quite sunny (not the sunniest but probably firs this category somewhat)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Yes i agree with September 1986,not sure i have seen frost in September since.

Also May 1996 ,there hasnt been a cooler May since but it was reasonably sunny.

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

February 1895 comes to mind. It had a significant snow event in the beginning, and then turned extremely dry and cold as a deep Scandi high moved over - Daily lows were widely below -20C for over a consecutive week, even in England. I assume the deep Scandi high would've brought high sunshine levels while it was also a very snowy and icy month due to the extreme cold, but I don't actually know for certain.

Interesting, sounds like a Canadian style winter month there!

39 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

April 2021.  Maximum temperature wasn't far from average but the minimum was the coldest since 1922.  Almost as sunny as April 2020 IIRC. 

June 2015

September 2015

April 2017?

A while ago, but IIRC October 1992 was very cool, but quite sunny 

December 1992 (albeit some areas probably suffered persistent fog around xmas)

December 2010 was quite sunny (not the sunniest but probably firs this category somewhat)

December 2010 was very cloudy in my area but sounds like it was much sunnier in other regions? Would be awesome to have a December 2010 style month but with 100 hours of sunshine!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

April 2010 was a very sunny month,  cool at times, especially at night. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
14 minutes ago, sundog said:

April 2010 was a very sunny month,  cool at times, especially at night. 

Both springs 2009 and 2010 were very sunny and average-temperatured, although 2010 to a lesser extent. Lots of cool, sunny mornings in both years, but especially 2009. I remember March 2010 being sunny and fresh in particular. Both seemed to have warmed up going into the second half of May, as well. Not often you get two nearly identical springs in a row.

I'd also nominate July 2013 as a near miss. Big high pressure block, and winds were a tad northeasterly, but it was just easterly enough for the strong July sun to heat the ground up to consistently above average temperatures. Had winds been a bit more northerly then we could've ended up with a cool/dry spell. May and June 2013 look like they were quite sunny, high pressure dominated months, but they were also quite cool. 2013 looks like it was overall a failed attempt at 2018.

• Like 1

Posted

December 2001 springs to mind. Though not especially cold, it was often frosty. Anticyclonic conditions prevailed. 

Northerly months tend to deliver abundant sunshine here. Winter 09-10 was very sunny here. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, damianslaw said:

December 2001 springs to mind. Though not especially cold, it was often frosty. Anticyclonic conditions prevailed. 

Northerly months tend to deliver abundant sunshine here. Winter 09-10 was very sunny here. 

Yeah, looks like a December that I would have definitely enjoyed.

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

June 1962

Liverpool highest temp that month was just 22.3°C but there was 215.3hrs of sunshine.

Some places on the south coast recorded over 300hrs of sunshine, for instance Torquay with 312 hrs.

Thanks for the info. 300+ hours of sun too, sounds awesome 👌

Posted

October-February 2018-19 were all quite sunny and dry IIRC, although they weren't that cold... February 2019 reached >20C for two days in a row...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Cool, sunny months in Dublin's records since 1942.

December 2022 76.2 hrs with a tmean of 4.4C.

May 2021 214.2 hrs with a tmean of only 9.2C.

April 2021 209.9 hrs with a tmean of only 5.6C, the coldest on record. 

February 2018 108.9 hrs with a tmean of 3.4C.

November 2016 97.5 hrs with a tmean of 5.6C.

June 2015 204.3 hrs with a tmean of 12.9C.

June 2013 210.4 hrs with a tmean of 12.7C. 

December 2010 60.3 hrs with a tmean of -0.1C. Not a very sunny month but sunnier than average and warrants a mention.

August 2010 216.0 hrs with a tmean of 13.9C.

May 2010 234.7 hrs with a tmean of 9.6C.

January 2010 86.3 hrs with a tmean of 1.7C.

October 2008 120.9 hrs with a tmean of 8.9c.

October 2003 115.6 hrs with a tmean of 9.0C.

September 1986 195.4 hrs with a tmean of 11.8C. The sunniest on record.

May 1975 255.8 hrs with a tmean of only 9.4C.

June 1962 202.8 hrs with a tmean of 12.4C.

March 1962 128.8 hrs with a tmean of 3.5C. Second coldest on record.

December 1961 76.5 hrs with a tmean of 4.0C.

January 1959 99.3 hrs with a tmean of 3.1C. The sunniest on record.

October 1955 139.7 hrs with a tmean of 8.7C.

March 1955 171.7 hrs with a tmean of only 4.2C. 4th coldest on record and 3rd sunniest.

September 1954 161.4 hrs with a tmean of 11.7C. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

October-February 2018-19 were all quite sunny and dry IIRC, although they weren't that cold... February 2019 reached >20C for two days in a row...

Was a nice period of weather that and made the darker half of the year seem very short.

Posted
5 hours ago, BruenSryan said:

Cool, sunny months in Dublin's records since 1942.

December 2022 76.2 hrs with a tmean of 4.4C.

May 2021 214.2 hrs with a tmean of only 9.2C.

April 2021 209.9 hrs with a tmean of only 5.6C, the coldest on record. 

February 2018 108.9 hrs with a tmean of 3.4C.

November 2016 97.5 hrs with a tmean of 5.6C.

June 2015 204.3 hrs with a tmean of 12.9C.

June 2013 210.4 hrs with a tmean of 12.7C. 

December 2010 60.3 hrs with a tmean of -0.1C. Not a very sunny month but sunnier than average and warrants a mention.

August 2010 216.0 hrs with a tmean of 13.9C.

May 2010 234.7 hrs with a tmean of 9.6C.

January 2010 86.3 hrs with a tmean of 1.7C.

October 2008 120.9 hrs with a tmean of 8.9c.

October 2003 115.6 hrs with a tmean of 9.0C.

September 1986 195.4 hrs with a tmean of 11.8C. The sunniest on record.

May 1975 255.8 hrs with a tmean of only 9.4C.

June 1962 202.8 hrs with a tmean of 12.4C.

March 1962 128.8 hrs with a tmean of 3.5C. Second coldest on record.

December 1961 76.5 hrs with a tmean of 4.0C.

January 1959 99.3 hrs with a tmean of 3.1C. The sunniest on record.

October 1955 139.7 hrs with a tmean of 8.7C.

March 1955 171.7 hrs with a tmean of only 4.2C. 4th coldest on record and 3rd sunniest.

September 1954 161.4 hrs with a tmean of 11.7C. 

Damn, I always imagine Ireland as exceptionally cloudy but you got some good totals in there! Some of the worst months in my area (May 2021, August 2010, June 2013) you got great levels of sunshine! You even beat us for December 2010 & 2022, quite surprising. Thanks for the info.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

January 2023 - a bit of a mixed month but I can recall some cold sunny days and frosty nights.

February 2008 - felt more like spring rather than winter, but cool nonetheless with plenty of sunny days and cold nights sometimes dropping to below freezing.

March 2017 - had some very pleasant sunny days in the early to mid teens.

April 2021 - cool and sunny. I found the lack of rainfall along with the frosts so late in the month kind of frustrating as a keen gardener.

May 1996 - unseasonably cool but reasonably sunny.

June 2001 - quite cool for June at times, but did well for sunshine.

July - not sure.

August 2023 - probably not the best example, but it was coolish compared to other summer months these days, and there was some sunshine.

September 1986 - cool and anticyclonic for much of the time. Temp even dropped below freezing on a few nights.

October 2017 - I can recall some sunny days with temps in the low to mid teens followed by single digit nights.

November 2012 - despite some wet days, sunshine totals for the month was at 110% with fairly typical November temps.

December 2022 - very cold and sunny up until around mid month.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

January 2023 - a bit of a mixed month but I can recall some cold sunny days and frosty nights.

February 2008 - felt more like spring rather than winter, but cool nonetheless with plenty of sunny days and cold nights sometimes dropping to below freezing.

March 2017 - had some very pleasant sunny days in the early to mid teens.

April 2021 - cool and sunny. I found the lack of rainfall along with the frosts so late in the month kind of frustrating as a keen gardener.

May 1996 - unseasonably cool but reasonably sunny.

June 2001 - quite cool for June at times, but did well for sunshine.

July - not sure.

August 2023 - probably not the best example, but it was coolish compared to other summer months these days, and there was some sunshine.

September 1986 - cool and anticyclonic for much of the time. Temp even dropped below freezing on a few nights.

October 2017 - I can recall some sunny days with temps in the low to mid teens followed by single digit nights.

November 2012 - despite some wet days, sunshine totals for the month was at 110% with fairly typical November temps.

December 2022 - very cold and sunny up until around mid month.

Yeah some nice examples there. Shame February 2008 happened when I wasn't interested in weather and sunshine, I would have loved that month!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
39 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Yeah some nice examples there. Shame February 2008 happened when I wasn't interested in weather and sunshine, I would have loved that month!

I enjoy these kind of threads. 😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Definitely easier to achieve a cool sunny month in winter than in the warmer months. Lots of recent examples of that - ie Dec 2010, Feb 2018, Feb 2008, Dec 2022, even Jan 2023 was cold and sunny in the second half.

It's a lot rarer to see in the spring summer or autumn, but June and September 2015 spring to mind with frequent sunny northerlies and high pressure to the west of us. Both nice and sunny but both rather cool.

April 2021 being the obvious example of course! Though out west by daytime its temperatures were very much average rather than cool with many late teens days. April 2017 would be a less extreme example too.

October 2018 for autumn! A very sunny month but generally cool, especially with a cold frosty end. Enjoyed this one

20 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Funny you should say this on this thread as in the SW (where I lived in August) 2023 was rather average temperature wise but was the dullest August since 2008, beating out the infamous 2010 and 2021. Basically the complete opposite!

• Like 2

Posted

April 2021 has been mentioned many times, and it's not hard to see why.  It was seriously cold by night, lowest record CET minimum in the entire series. It also had record breaking amounts of sunshine (223hrs).. just 10hrs less than April 2020. April 2021 was also drier than 2020, just 18.8mm fell.. and most of it was in snowfall. One of my most favourite months, up there with December 2010 and March 2013. 

September 2015 has been mentioned a few times, but I haven't seen anyone talk about Sep 2020. For here it was both drier and sunnier than 2015.. and was also quite cool. Second half was quite chilly with a few frosts near the end of the month. 

• Like 1

Posted

December 2001 really stands out for me. Lots of crystal clear blue skies and temps in low single figures.

I was young but I distinctly remember thinking this must be what continental winters are like.

• Like 1