Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - mid Autumn

Posted

Looking further into November.. conflicting signals from the models at present, atlantic high, scandi high, azores high influence, take your pick.

I suspect mid atlantic heights of some sort will eventually come into play, but whether they build north and hold the atlantic trough and energy from the canadian lobe of the PV at bay.. or topple quick, or even advect NE to scandi with a euro trough scenario who knows. All to play for.

In the meantime, it stays wet, windy with temps not far off average, typical early November fayre. We may next week see some clearer brief colder incursions meaning some chillier but not frosty nights away from sheltered northern spots.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
40 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Less said about EC46 the better...

Are you sure? 🤪

image.thumb.png.9d6c938d5efd038ab910f1efa380a053.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

Doesn't it come out tomorrow🤔

Winter-only posters may not yet be aware that the ECM ensembles got a big upgrade in June: the 15-day ensemble now has all 51 members running at the same high resolution as the deterministic run, and the 46-day ensemble now runs at 0z every day and has been doubled to 101 members (with a lower resolution than the shorter-range ensemble).

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted
10 hours ago, LRD said:

The ECM does turn out to be a very mild run at the end compared to its ensembles, though. Could be a trendsetter, of course

image.thumb.png.7b19d962ac86c995f3fe3b0b76310d44.png

The proper cold can wait another 6 weeks but it'd be nice to have a cold, frosty high sat over us for a change in November. +5 by day, -5 by night. The days of those conditions in November appear to, largely, be a thing of the past in my neck of the woods, however

Same up here unfortunately. I remember as a kid in the late 70's and early 80's wading through piles of dried up leaves through many autumns. No chance these days. Anyway, at least the gfs and ecm 12z runs trended away from the awful flat 00z runs. Much more meridonal which is always good news going forwards. 

1 hour ago, Don said:

Will you ever learn?! 🙄 🤣

In a word..... 😂 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Less said about EC46 the better...

You've already said too much.....

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Don said:

You've already said too much.....

Doesn't look too much different to me. The early December warming up top looks to be as strong as ever anyway. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, blizzard81 said:

Doesn't look too much different to me. The early December warming up top looks to be as strong as ever anyway. 

Indeed, I was referring to the weekly anomaly charts.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

I looked at them earlier and didn't see much of a downgrade. I will have another look. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Don said:

The brief pressure rise over southern Europe looks to be transient. Plus, the run is off the back of the crud, flat 00z run which has been binned by the 12z runs..... For now anyway lol. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

The 12z EC has a Scandi high in the making at day 10...

ECH1-240.thumb.gif.f5c55574d2eac906322fb492f2fc3413.gif

totally different to  this mornings run,...a trend?

It's the hope that will kill you, when was the last time  the models showed a Scandinavian hiigh at 10 days and it happens? rare as hen's teeth. I do think that NWP has not adjusted to our warming climate in Winter

Edited by near northampton

Posted
9 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

ECM 0z and GEFS 6z at day 10 (Sat 11):

image.thumb.png.2a522eb4ec1bec0d1e8b02b3dc36d340.png...image.thumb.png.5af8e9fa77fbd68146ebacd01f2b620f.png

ECM 0z and GEFS 6z at day 13 (Tue 14):

image.thumb.png.eba2c84746dfb036649ad972dd0da48c.png...image.thumb.png.52ad2da165c136eded0465708e2ca0c3.png

The GEFS had been weakening its support for an Atlantic ridge leading into the second weekend of November, but its 6z run this morning pivots back the other way and offers much strengthened support - and this run also shows an Azores high ridge early the following week, which is also favoured by the ECM 0z ensemble.

The ECM ensemble cluster analysis shows the Atlantic ridge towards the end of next week as featuring in the largest cluster of member runs, although it is not quite a majority.

image.thumb.png.61bb90dc9d4e0a821ac0d478b06d91d3.png

Here are the individual members from those two ensemble runs, at day 10. The members which show an Atlantic ridge don't show it to be particularly robust-looking - but at least it's not a trough!

image.thumb.png.e7cc5c081fcb2c82e79f225d85e04f4e.pngimage.thumb.png.b52ea3a4efdad409fed26b265d9b7dbd.png

The Atlantic ridge anomaly at the end of next week is now showing consistently on all runs of all three ensembles with long enough range, so I would be surprised now if something of that nature does not verify, even if it is only a transient interlude between Atlantic lows.

The ECM follows this up a few days later (approaching mid-month) with a decent Azores high ridge anomaly - as it had also done on its two previous runs - but it is still awaiting consistent support from either the GEFS or GEM.

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

Winter-only posters may not yet be aware that the ECM ensembles got a big upgrade in June: the 15-day ensemble now has all 51 members running at the same high resolution as the deterministic run, and the 46-day ensemble now runs at 0z every day and has been doubled to 101 members (with a lower resolution than the shorter-range ensemble).

Thanks for this. Good to know, cheers for thinking of us part-timers! 😅

• Like 3

Posted

Thought I would use ECM and the machine learning models to illustrate the possible evolutions of the little ridge coming in from the Atlantic at the end of next week. Note that these charts are showing MSLP + 200hPa wind (jet stream), not the more familiar MSLP + 500hPa geopotential height, as the ECMWF website does not offer that combination.

All agree that it will begin on Thursday with a northwesterly/northerly for us from the previous trough departing to the east.

image.thumb.png.cef5804599129d67fcbd0f86fd652646.png

That's still ongoing on Friday, and by then you can see disagreement developing over exactly how much of a gap there will be between the trough existing eastwards and the next one coming in from the west; Pangu-Weather is the most pessimistic here.

image.thumb.png.08588ac250f8946076c8b9d6f416372c.png

By Saturday, we've got either a thin wedge of high pressure over the UK - meaning this could be a usable dry Saturday for us all - or one of two alternatives: Pangu-Weather has a little low sliding over us underneath some cut-off HP over Iceland, and FourCastNet is building a little Scandi high which looks like it would keep further Atlantic lows away from us for longer.

image.thumb.png.14b8669833916728a49a974165d63a65.png

Sunday, day 10 and thus the end of these 0z runs, just showing a continuation of the above; on the AIFS, the Atlantic has broken back through.

image.thumb.png.5d72c1891a9d626be1105ad9cc5e228b.png

For balance, I should mention that there has not been consistent support for any of the more positive outcomes suggested above on recent deterministic runs of the GFS, GEM or JMA models.

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

Thought I would use ECM and the machine learning models to illustrate the possible evolutions of the little ridge coming in from the Atlantic at the end of next week. Note that these charts are showing MSLP + 200hPa wind (jet stream), not the more familiar MSLP + 500hPa geopotential height, as the ECMWF website does not offer that combination.

All agree that it will begin on Thursday with a northwesterly/northerly for us from the previous trough departing to the east.

image.thumb.png.cef5804599129d67fcbd0f86fd652646.png

That's still ongoing on Friday, and by then you can see disagreement developing over exactly how much of a gap there will be between the trough existing eastwards and the next one coming in from the west; Pangu-Weather is the most pessimistic here.

image.thumb.png.08588ac250f8946076c8b9d6f416372c.png

By Saturday, we've got either a thin wedge of high pressure over the UK, or one of two alternatives: Pangu-Weather has a little low sliding over us underneath some cut-off HP over Iceland, and FourCastNet is building a little Scandi high which looks like it would keep further Atlantic lows away from us for longer.

image.thumb.png.14b8669833916728a49a974165d63a65.png

Sunday, day 10 and thus the end of these 0z runs, just showing the continuation of the above:

image.thumb.png.5d72c1891a9d626be1105ad9cc5e228b.png 

Yes, looking at the ECM Operational for Saturday next, talk about a thin end of the wedge. The oddest looking surface Azores high ridge up into the arctic. Naturally this doesn't inspire me as a likely outcome, but at least it's trying and something may be afoot.

image.thumb.png.c6f9464a86422b131e6c1dd7c1d8344a.png

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Downburst said:

Yes, looking at the ECM Operational for Saturday next, talk about a thin end of the wedge. The oddest looking surface Azores high ridge up into the arctic. Naturally this doesn't inspire me as a likely outcome, but at least it's trying and something may be afoot.

image.thumb.png.c6f9464a86422b131e6c1dd7c1d8344a.png

A weird ridge from the Azores up to the Arctic... time to post this again, think it's been posted in this thread three times in the past 24 hours now 😂

image.thumb.png.6e22b089ff5659a1dca12af12d5a2c72.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

A weird ridge from the Azores up to the Arctic... time to post this again, think it's been posted in this thread three times in the past 24 hours now 😂

image.thumb.png.6e22b089ff5659a1dca12af12d5a2c72.png

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
2 hours ago, Downburst said:

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!

Its gone😂