Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - mid Autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
8 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

UKMO T168:

IMG_7645.thumb.png.f0d829d96d0cb2d14142689c1c6e1923.png

In the GFS camp on this one, or at least edging that way.

@Mike Poole For some reason I cannot access UKMO  T168  over hereat the moment. Can you post the 300mb flow for T168 ?

Cheers,

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
3 minutes ago, carinthian said:

@Mike Poole For some reason I cannot access UKMO  T168  over hereat the moment. Can you post the 300mb flow for T168 ?

Cheers,

C

Hi, sorry, I can’t find that chart on Meteociel, I think UKMO has the most limited range of charts of all the models, just 500hPa heights and temps at 500hPa and 850hPa.

Link:

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Météociel propose le modèle UKMO jusqu'à 168h. Cartes de prévision des précipitations, du vent, des températures

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Without putting to finer point on it ,gfs 12z is a cold lovers early winters dream ! What possibly go wrong!  Snaaaawww ,frost and everything else wintry thrown in ,even for the south.....Will be interesting what ecm has to say , but are we on a wild goose chase or being led up the garden path, we have been here many times before,  but IF these charts came off ,it would be an early Christmas presant for many.....😀⛄

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Just now, ICE COLD said:

Really hope the gfs and UKMO have got this . Mean while the gfs is still going for it at day 12 🥶

F4846F9C-B5AC-43BE-BC3D-9871CDDB11F8.png

1CF90D19-6FA1-49B6-8DAD-A0E653A29BE8.png

Would expect some very cold temps at this stage, early December sun very weak, no snow melt, hard frosts. 🥶

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
4 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Hi, sorry, I can’t find that chart on Meteociel, I think UKMO has the most limited range of charts of all the models, just 500hPa heights and temps at 500hPa and 850hPa.

Link:

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Météociel propose le modèle UKMO jusqu'à 168h. Cartes de prévision des précipitations, du vent, des températures

OK THANKS. It will come through a bit later on the Wetterzentrale site .

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

Would expect some very cold temps at this stage, early December sun very weak, no snow melt, hard frosts. 🥶

Would ground temperatures not need to fall alot for no snow melt? ( if there was snow about ). All the wettness in the ground would produce some latent heat also I presume. Need the ground to dry up somewhat over the next while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers

😍100% will take this over what weve all had recently, lets see what the euro makes of all this.

image.thumb.png.3153f3a69b8cca516bd9c39366658bc4.pngimage.thumb.png.212ac12542e257793d823c881eef4b1e.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
5 minutes ago, sundog said:

Would ground temperatures not need to fall alot for no snow melt? ( if there was snow about ). All the wettness in the ground would produce some latent heat also I presume. Need the ground to dry up somewhat over the next while.

Depends if the ground freezes if we get some ice days, and quantity of snowfall. The GFS keeps most of the ppn just clipping the coast on the 12z run, but if we saw some heavy snowfall could turn very cold in them slack easterly winds and cold uppers, particularly at night. Maybe a December 1981 re-run, when we saw lots of snow and extreme cold at times but upper air was not even particularly low.

• Like 1

Posted

This 12z was beautiful run to the end and it would all fallen apart if the low pressure at day 5 did not play ball.. the run was against what is expected from current teleconnections.. so I’m left wondering what value we should place upon them if they can negated by a relatively small low pressure behaviour.

or maybe the gfs is not playing in the teleconnections in correctly and what is progged on this 12z is worthless…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
12 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

Why can I see the ecm coming on board and then the gfs climbing down 🫣😂

ha ha, I was just thinking that...!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
3 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

This 12z was beautiful run to the end and it would all fallen apart if the low pressure at day 5 did not play ball.. the run was against what is expected from current teleconnections.. so I’m left wondering what value we should place upon them if they can negated by a relatively small low pressure behaviour.

or maybe the gfs is not playing in the teleconnections in correctly and what is progged on this 12z is worthless…

The value to place on it imo is that it is another run and fi holds interest for coldies. We will see where it goes on future runs and enjoy these for now until they get in the reliable or bust.👍

IMG_9362.png

IMG_9361.png

• Thanks 1

Posted

Good evening all 

be prepared for next week...... it can be a thriller in weathermodel land 

good weekend all

first we get a NE wind ,image.thumb.png.797e19f1bc9ec4ec4e9f26cb6c068c5a.pngimage.thumb.png.ddecf6861af2a0c8eb4a254848888302.png

and after......image.thumb.png.e196257e65be1fd761e3b88f96a76126.png

but then is the main question for now 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Unless the background drivers are broken & something else is driving this amplification I just can’t see how we end up with a Greenland high as per GFS suggestion. 

The forcing just isn’t there.. fascinating early season drama this! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Unless the background drivers are broken & something else is driving this amplification I just can’t see how we end up with a Greenland high as per GFS suggestion. 

Could it be that perfect tripole in the atlantic?!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Could it be that perfect tripole in the atlantic?!!!

It’s weak at best, I can’t imagine that alone is enough to drive the pattern being shown by the GFS

Posted
6 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Indeed. I’ve posed a similar question on this.. maybe one of the teleconnections folk might be able to offer a view please?