Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - mid Autumn

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

NWP is carnage.. 

I don't even think we can have much confidence beyond Saturday right now..

good.. far better that, than locked in vortex / azores high and sine wave zonal pattern.. 🙂

• Like 8

Posted

There is an opportunity to develop the Scandinavian high as the upstream flow amplifies .

This carves more energy se to the west , the jet then bounces ne and then tries to cut back sw .

Alot depends on events in Canada here , you can see that wave moves east , this helps to amplify  the down stream pattern .

The UKMO is flatter and this then pushes low heights into Greenland .

GFS 06 hrs run to T138 hrs 

IMG_0689.thumb.PNG.26016ec27cf6b56f05657a32512ccbbb.PNG

Associated jet forecast .

IMG_0687.thumb.PNG.8afcbdc2a786e7f50e0c1eb58db41403.PNG

Now the UKMO 00 hrs to T144 hrs .

IMG_0691.thumb.PNG.4f683d5c3e43d5e1cc247f3a7407037e.PNG

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Not surpised by the 6z Scandi high, worth noting that while early days in the ensembles there is definite uptick in pushing heights NE already..

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

I might regret saying this.. but I just have gut feeling that this Scandinavia high option will gain traction...

1st mooted with surprise yesterday ecm seems to be firming up   and Scandinavia highs are notoriously difficult to model..

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The flattest upstream is the UKMO . All the other models have varying waves , the GFS being the most amplified .

I’m pretty certain the UKMO is wrong here . It looks much too flat against the others .

This often happens with the ukmo doesn't it? Trouble is it can get things right quite often, especially when it's going against wintry heaven 🙄

Posted

Morning all,ECM GFS UKMO all have one think in common high pressure it’s positioning and orientation key to every door regarding mild cold effecting our shores.GFS keen on transferring the high from Atlantic to Scandinavian based bringing a possible very cold N/easterly to the UK.All to play for at present great watching nothing boring about the weather pattern at present.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

First indications of the long standing easterly wave triggered by the -IOD in the Indian Ocean is coming to an end. This should help with the next MJO cycle & indeed help switch the AAM into +ve territory more concretely. Late Dec/early Jan continues to look interesting.

u_anom_30.5S-5N.thumb.png.c19f6d9fc1801748e1490523563ff9ae.png

Tropical forcing whilst not currently supportive of blocked patterns looks to switch around somewhat through December.

Interesting thanks.

If we could squeeze a week or so of anticylonic ascendancy in the meantime that would be great.

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

First indications of the long standing easterly wave triggered by the -IOD in the Indian Ocean is coming to an end. This should help with the next MJO cycle & indeed help switch the AAM into +ve territory more concretely. Late Dec/early Jan continues to look interesting.

u_anom_30.5S-5N.thumb.png.c19f6d9fc1801748e1490523563ff9ae.png

Tropical forcing whilst not currently supportive of blocked patterns looks to switch around somewhat through December.

fun there we go mate 

image.thumb.png.4f2a8c20fb32a7e6ac91b243f1e18295.png

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, winterof79 said:

In early winter, North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) forces a North Atlantic sea surface temperature (SST) tripole, which persists and tends to induce a nearly reversed NAO pattern in February.

Plain Language Summary

The North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) is a crucial atmospheric system that significantly impacts the weather and climate of the surrounding regions during winter. However, it often reverses between early and late winter, and the reasons for its mid-winter reversal remain unclear. The NAO behavior can be influenced by multiple factors, such as atmospheric internal processes, underlying surface, and remote climate system, which makes the issue more complex. This study highlights the role of underlying sea surface temperature anomalies (SSTAs) in the mid-winter reversal of NAO. The North Atlantic SSTAs are closely associated with the NAO and exhibit a tripole pattern. For strong sea surface temperature (SST) tripole events, the NAO primarily induces the early winter North Atlantic SST tripole. The SSTAs develop in early winter, peak in January, and feedback on the atmospheric circulation in late winter. The atmospheric circulation anomalies exhibit an almost reversed NAO pattern in February, forming a wavetrain that propagates above the Gulf Stream to the Middle East. As a result, during the warm phase of the SST tripole, Europe experiences colder temperatures, and the Caspian Sea experiences warmer temperatures in February than usual, as opposed to the positive NAO’s control over warm Europe and cold Caspian Sea in December.

Courtesy of AGU😄

I'll be looking at a glut on Mediterranean/mid east area early crops for Spring now. Thanks for the tip 😁

GFS 06z and it's high pressure near or over the top nearly all the way. Great news for farmers who in many cases can't get into fields etc. Rainfall accumulation looks great

image.thumb.png.93ead64a13531b7302bff2f4022c03f5.png

Interesting that the charts at the beginning and the end of the run seem very similar indeed, at least in north atlantic and it was the same on the 00z run, given the total lack of confidence in the end of course, but isn't this suggesting not much forcing is happening. 

Beginning and End side by side

image.thumb.png.3382b9dccc708c907b4b7ba0fd507161.pngimage.thumb.png.250b9aa6ac12d6ff48f073157df5de17.png

• Like 4

Posted

Quite often over the years we regularly say the long term models look better after Christmas, February will be the month etc that everything swings in our favour! The reality that transpires is usually a bust. I guess the point I'm making is let's hope for a Scandi high now, a Greenland high now. In weather slow moving highs can repeat over a Winter cycle so what's being shown now for next week is not bad. In fact a Scandi high so early in season would be great news!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Here's a gallery of all the T+168h frames from the last four sets of model runs, for anyone else who like me has been struggling to keep up...

image.thumb.png.c60ac8379d903083ed3cbadc539c107d.png

This morning's UKMO sticks out like a sore thumb!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.95e9bb513a2589bac50567fb4bd857d9.png

6z looks very cold next week..

9pm isnt that?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Plenty of good stuff to look at on the ECM ensemble forecast for my south coast location this morning:

image.thumb.png.464c066632975a24d0b967596f362360.png

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 4