Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
21 hours ago, carinthian said:

That is quite amazing stat. Looking at the fields and rivers on my current visit I am not surprised.  Shock, horror , no clouds on view at the moment !  I am just wondering what the what sunshine hours are in comparison? I would expect well below normal for the same period ?  Off to Stockholm on 29th , where I am told they are in still in a deep freeze after one its coldest December for a number of years.

C

I am going to be a bit blunt  with my post but there was some absolute twaddle IMO posted in the "worringly dry" thread back in May and that thread has been made to look more and more ridiculous as the passage of this year has gone by.

Some of the comments

"More reservoirs are no good if it doesn't rain often. Stating the obvious but you need rain to fill them."

"We don't even have proper Atlantic weather systems anymore. It's been dead for ages"

I posted  rainfall stats of recent years compared to those when there was a proper  protracted dry period at the end of the Victorian era and I wasn't surprised that they were largely ignored because they didn't fit with the narrative of the thread but it is a fact that wetness has dominated dryness since 2000 and 2023 has followed suit.   There have been drier periods but wetness has held the dominance.

Will 2024 turned out to be a much drier year?

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Just posting the obvious and a similar scenario regionwide, but it's wet, very wet.  Temp sneaking into the mild zone at almost 8°C.  All seems calm here though currently wind wise.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

20mm in the last 6 hours at our local rain gauge and flood warnings are already out for the Upper Irwell and Upper Calder catchments.

certainly horrible though and I can tell the direction of the wind by the need for a bucket where it drips from under the eaves.

Edited by iand61
  • Like 6

Posted
22 hours ago, carinthian said:

Shock, horror , no clouds on view at the moment !  I am just wondering what the what sunshine hours are in comparison? I would expect well below normal for the same period ?  Off to Stockholm on 29th , where I am told they are in still in a deep freeze after one its coldest December for a number of years.

Autumn 2023 was around average believe it or not for most parts of the region for sunshine. July was very dull and August was average to dull, so the nett effect is that July-December is going to be duller than average. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Eased of now here but almost 27mm since it started with the heavier stuff for now at least on the Yorkshire side of the Pennines.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
59 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Autumn 2023 was around average believe it or not for most parts of the region for sunshine. July was very dull and August was average to dull, so the nett effect is that July-December is going to be duller than average. 

I sure there will be zero sunshine today ! Pouring down again in Skipton. Two more days of this then off to Stockholm to get my snow fix . The models showing New Year starting as the old one ends , WET,wet wet in the Northwest and continuation of the winter cold in Sweden. Surley the Weather Gods will give you good folk some rest bite from this awfulness soon !

C

• Like 9

Posted

A few days break from the forum.. alas the weather continues to remain very unsettled and wet, with the UK a magnet for low pressure.

Its going to be one of those hazy non entity days between christmas and new year thanks to incessant rain. A drab dark wet one.

Yesterday gave a reprieve at least from the rain and felt more seasonal.

Sadly the rest of this week staying wet. Always want one cold dry day with frost/ snow for winter fell walking.. not this year.. it has turned into a right miserable December weatherwise, barely any full dry days. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 7

Posted

Well I hope you all had a magical Christmas, quiet here I had tonsillitis, covid and just found out the joint pains I've been having are arthritis at the grand old age of 34 🤣.

Anyway very wild out there today, rightly a named storm. Strong winds and very heavy rain, river levels along the Eden and Caldew are rising quite quickly now

• Like 6

Posted

Off to see the grandchild shortly so just hope that the Calder is still on its own side of the flood walls and not happily wandering down the road.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Finally got house back all departed back to their homes ,bliss in house now lol  Quick dog walk in the abysmal weather then a couple of movies 👍

• Like 4

Posted

57mph gusts hitting Buxton so-far as Gerrit ramps up, the squall line looks to be quite pronounced on RADAR with the strongest of the gales yet to enter the Irish Sea before impacting NW coastal & high areas into the late evening.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Hope all well. Here you go. A usual Fylde Green Christmas 🌲

IMG_7960.thumb.jpeg.fa90975da5ef8c8e44cddc09750836ef.jpeg

IMG_7983.thumb.jpeg.81a42d1e0fb99a2a4e6455335ca363ef.jpeg
GFS 06z Best on offer  

Dont know where the sustained cold is coming from. Maybe Jan the 8th but that’s light years away. Dartboard for Hogmanay 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

IMG_7984.thumb.jpeg.f57e1c642cdc9951f06ebd488fc7d4a8.jpeg

Gorms place to be especially on a Bibbys trip 👍🏻 good effort. 

IMG_7985.thumb.jpeg.b8e2d1dc379bc5ae93086236fc05fe32.jpeg

IMG_7986.thumb.jpeg.0ebd8e94865cc4e8253adff00f8964db.jpeg
Westruck images 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
2 minutes ago, toggerob said:

57mph gusts hitting Buxton so-far as Gerrit ramps up, the squall line looks to be quite pronounced on RADAR with the strongest of the gales yet to enter the Irish Sea before impacting NW coastal & high areas into the late evening.

98mph recorded Helvellyn

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Brief but intense squall just moved through. Really torrential for a time. 🌧️🌧️🌧️🌧️

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Now under a nice squall line.

Hail and torrential rain but no thunder yet.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Squall line has past through here the last half hour or so - everything is so dark and damp despite Boxing Day's drier respite. Would be nice if we can catch a break and get some bright frosty weather into the new year at least, January cold prospects look and remain interesting but not yet fully subscribed to the noise around a January cold spell - xmas was supposed to be cold a few weeks ago, then New Year, you get the picture... 

• Like 5