Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted

Temps possibly on a par with the cold spell of Dec 2022 when we had a run of ice days, though mins tonight look colder than then. Long time since Jan has delivered very low minima, obviously 2010, 2013 didn't really, or 2021. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

Had a job today in Workington on the Cumbrian coast.  Got past the Lancaster- Morecambe junction on the M6 and the snow covered fells came into view. All the way to junction 40 Penrith,  the views were stunning. Still a fair bit of snow on the ground just north of Keswick and the Temp in my van was saying -4.5 at 10:30 am.  Got to sub-Tropical Workington, no sign of any frost and a temp of 3c. 

we really do have some stunning beauty on our doorsteps in the North West.  
Just wish I could have took some photos. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A really cold day today, warmest part of the day was actually just after midnight, at 3C. Dipped down to -1.8C this morning and then struggled up to 0.9C this afternoon. A superb sunny day.

The temperature is now dropping steadily, currently -2.7C. I just went for a run and ended up doing more sliding than running, the roads pavements are lethal with compacted snow and ice.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
1 minute ago, Gary L said:

-6.2c in Diggle. We do tend to get frost hollow behaviour in the valley 

It's a decent spot there. Good for both snow and frost. Elevated but in a valley.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
6 minutes ago, Gary L said:

Aye I'm reading -6.4C in Greenfield now. Dropping so fast!

• Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

It's a decent spot there. Good for both snow and frost. Elevated but in a valley.

Yeh, had a nice walk this evening in the frozen snow. Amazing what a couple of cm can do if it sticks around 🙂

IMG_6661.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
7 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Well if you live Liverpool Cheshire NW midlands the forecast on just now on the BBC was fantastic 

presenter stated that the snow showers could turn heavy tomorrow evening and amounts will depend on were the snow showers aline.

This is my thought also. hopefully I'm not too far north east.

• Like 5

Posted

BBC said don't be surprised if some of the snow showers over N Scotland make it down into N Eng overnight to leave a cover. I assume it means Northumberland and NE england coastal areas. 

Aa said tomorrow could throw up many snowy surprises to the region especially western parts and Cheshire. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
26 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Well if you live Liverpool Cheshire NW midlands the forecast on just now on the BBC was fantastic 

presenter stated that the snow showers could turn heavy tomorrow evening and amounts will depend on were the snow showers aline.

Looking good - BBC NW Tonight not mentioning it though 🤔 - I’m guessing it’ll be a local 1-3cm covering affair if it materialises? ❄️

From snow watch to temperature watch -3c here forecast low of -7c by early morning 🥶🥶 Coldest nights recently I’ve seen locally here in SE Cheshire has been: 

-9c (Dec 22, no snow cover)

-12c (Big Freeze Dec 10, deep snow cover)

-14c (Big Freeze Jan 2010, deep snow cover)  

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 9

Posted
26 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

Had a job today in Workington on the Cumbrian coast.  Got past the Lancaster- Morecambe junction on the M6 and the snow covered fells came into view. All the way to junction 40 Penrith,  the views were stunning. Still a fair bit of snow on the ground just north of Keswick and the Temp in my van was saying -4.5 at 10:30 am.  Got to sub-Tropical Workington, no sign of any frost and a temp of 3c. 

we really do have some stunning beauty on our doorsteps in the North West.  
Just wish I could have took some photos. 

Yes, I grabbed a screen shot from this web cam about 8am this morning, it took my breath away.  I would love a view like this.  

Been some great pics posted today.  Blencathra is stunning.

Screenshot_20240117_081129_Chrome.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, Kasim Awan said:

The climatic snow increases as you go east in the region is very bold. I'd say every mile and 30ft of altitude gets you an extra 15 minutes falling snow per Winter.

If I go 5 miles to the East, staying on the same road my altitude increases by 200 metres.

30 minutes ago, Gary L said:

It’s -5 in Newhey 

• Like 7

Posted
15 minutes ago, Rush2019 said:

Yes, I grabbed a screen shot from this web cam about 8am this morning, it took my breath away.  I would love a view like this.  

Been some great pics posted today.  Blencathra is stunning.

Screenshot_20240117_081129_Chrome.jpg

Yep that’s the views I was seeing. I don’t think any photos could have done any justice. You had to be there and see with your own eyes. 

• Like 5

Posted
17 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Looking good - BBC NW Tonight not mentioning it though 🤔 - I’m guessing it’ll be a local 1-3cm covering affair if it materialises? ❄️

From snow watch to temperature watch -3c here forecast low of -7c by early morning 🥶🥶 Coldest nights recently I’ve seen locally here in SE Cheshire has been: 

-9c (Dec 22, no snow cover)

-12c (Big Freeze Dec 10, deep snow cover)

-14c (Big Freeze Jan 2010, deep snow cover)  

January 2010 wasn't that also the big freeze at Woodford, got to - 17.6°C

Dec 2022 froze my washing machine pipe, water would not empty, -10°C

Currently -3°C.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

@raul_sbd indicating -6.2øC

• Like 6

Posted

Stunning photo of the Mecca of football last night. My part of Horwich, top right of the photo 

IMG_3335.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

-4.6C, somewhat chilly out.

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

Stunning photo of the Mecca of football last night. My part of Horwich, top right of the photo 

IMG_3335.jpeg

Fantastic pic, lovely part of the region to live.  Can see Winter Hill from a number of elevated spots above Macc.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
32 minutes ago, Rush2019 said:

January 2010 wasn't that also the big freeze at Woodford, got to - 17.6°C

Dec 2022 froze my washing machine pipe, water would not empty, -10°C

Currently -3°C.

Yeah Jan 2010 was the big freeze that saw BAE Woodford get as low as -16/-17c it’s a bit of a frost hollow there I think on relatively low ground at the edge of the nearby Peak District. You can get a great view of the Peaks on a clear day from the new Woodford Garden Village they have built there bet they had a gorgeous view in the Winter sunshine this afternoon. 

We are at -5c here now 🥶🥶 

Whilst all eyes are on the cold & snow this week a likely named storm is creeping up on us for Sunday - looks particularly nasty for Cumbria/ North Lancs with 70-80mph locally 90mph+ on the latest UKV. Widely 50-65mph further south with heavy potentially squally outbreaks of rain pushing through. 

BA831DA9-9697-41A9-A7AA-B612B6FED0A4.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
11 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Yeah Jan 2010 was the big freeze that saw BAE Woodford get as low as -16/-17c it’s a bit of a frost hollow there I think on relatively low ground at the edge of the nearby Peak District. You can get a great view of the Peaks on a clear day from the new Woodford Garden Village they have built there bet they had a gorgeous view in the Winter sunshine this afternoon. 

We are at -5c here now 🥶🥶 

Whilst all eyes are on the cold & snow this week a likely named storm is creeping up on us for Sunday - looks particularly nasty for Cumbria/ North Lancs with 70-80mph locally 90mph+ on the latest UKV. Widely 50-65mph further south with heavy potentially squally outbreaks of rain pushing through. 

BA831DA9-9697-41A9-A7AA-B612B6FED0A4.jpeg

Probably overcooked wind speed but certainly a nasty system inbound to spoil the weekend 

Edited by Scuba steve
  • Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

BBC said don't be surprised if some of the snow showers over N Scotland make it down into N Eng overnight to leave a cover. I assume it means Northumberland and NE england coastal areas. 

Aa said tomorrow could throw up many snowy surprises to the region especially western parts and Cheshire. 

Yep coldest January night since 2010 looks likely.. already -4C here with 12 hrs of cooling left. 

• Like 6

Posted

Temperature moving steadily down, -5.1C.

• Like 5