Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

4 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

Sorry, Kasim 

having 350M+ does not guarantee you gold medal every snow event. By the looks of things, you did not get anywhere near Bronze medal in this cold spell. 
that’s life ! 

November 2021 and March 2023 were really decent snow events with severe drifting snow 20ft drifts in the area, to have those two events in these mild times in close succession is very good achievement. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
3 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

November 2021 and March 2023 were really decent snow events with severe drifting snow 20ft drifts in the area, to have those two events in these mild times in close succession is very good achievement. 

I was not having a dig, Kasim. 
just saying having great elevation does not always give you top spot.. this week winner on Tuesday was Preston. 

• Like 5

Posted
18 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

November was a Sunday event yes? Me and my mates struggled to get back from Edinburgh that day! Don't remember a march 23 event. I'm staggered there were 20 ft drifts. Am I missing something here???

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
12 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

November was a Sunday event yes? Me and my mates struggled to get back from Edinburgh that day! Don't remember a march 23 event. I'm staggered there were 20 ft drifts. Am I missing something here???

I can’t beat 20ft drifts but we did have a decent snowfall around 10th March here with approaching a foot of level snow and plenty of drifting in the lanes.

IMG_2181.thumb.jpeg.7dad98885d6acf6cd1e24b23dc31e0dc.jpegIMG_2182.thumb.jpeg.e47f8227d94fe8df3595638ba9855ffb.jpegIMG_2186.thumb.jpeg.34065e015f52e1647044731296cbeec2.jpeg

TBH I’d forgotten about it until I read the posts and I don’t think it stuck around for that long but it was easily the heaviest snow of last winter and joins a list of years where the best is saved for the end.

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Thunder Snow said:

Looking at the forecast there is a hell of alot of rain coming this weekend especially for Cumbria 

Yes no great, combined with snow melt, watch the rivers rise rapidly and cause localised flooding. Not looking forward to the next week one bit really. A good week to go away to sunnier drier climes..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

12z +99 Irish Sea 90mph+ 👹

IMG_8288.thumb.jpeg.75db395dc8ea203449662d06f583df47.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
1 minute ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Looks warm though 😂

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes no great, combined with snow melt, watch the rivers rise rapidly and cause localised flooding. Not looking forward to the next week one bit really. A good week to go away to sunnier drier climes..

Yer and with the ground frozen we could see quite abit of flooding 

• Like 3

Posted
35 minutes ago, iand61 said:

I can’t beat 20ft drifts but we did have a decent snowfall around 10th March here with approaching a foot of level snow and plenty of drifting in the lanes.

IMG_2181.thumb.jpeg.7dad98885d6acf6cd1e24b23dc31e0dc.jpegIMG_2182.thumb.jpeg.e47f8227d94fe8df3595638ba9855ffb.jpegIMG_2186.thumb.jpeg.34065e015f52e1647044731296cbeec2.jpeg

TBH I’d forgotten about it until I read the posts and I don’t think it stuck around for that long but it was easily the heaviest snow of last winter and joins a list of years where the best is saved for the end.

Blimey! Was it rain in Manchester or a shadow thing?? Can't remember anything decent! Love the photos!

• Like 5

Posted
10 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Shame the wind farms can't operate in such high winds

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
12 minutes ago, SnowThunder said:

Shame the wind farms can't operate in such high winds

Just as well the whole country might take off 😂

• Like 5

Posted
50 minutes ago, iand61 said:

March 2023 brought the snowiest spell of last season. A polar maritime blast. March can and often packs a snowy punch, and we are still 6 weeks away.. lots of winter season left for snow. February has in recent years been very poor for snow, one brief wet fall 23 Feb 2020, a few snow showers Feb 2021, nothing last 2 years. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 5

Posted

Snow patches defiantly clinging on here.  Cling ons.  Clear sky and temp 3.2°C (8pm).  Not looking forward to the weekend weather, it's the wind, wind is my least favourite, it fears me when it's really gusty.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
26 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Blimey! Was it rain in Manchester or a shadow thing?? Can't remember anything decent! Love the photos!

Here in Cheshire we had a few wet cm so imagine MCR saw similar. High ground to the west and east saw the majority of the 'proper' snow I think. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Here in Cheshire we had a few wet cm so imagine MCR saw similar. High ground to the west and east saw the majority of the 'proper' snow I think. 

Yes, snow fell east of Macc early hours 10th March, chaos over the tops Buxton, Sheffield due to drifting.  Macc had very little,  the sun melted it later that day.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Winter Hill said:

I was not having a dig, Kasim. 
just saying having great elevation does not always give you top spot.. this week winner on Tuesday was Preston. 

Yeah I know you wern't haha, just saying high ground to the West of Buxton is very good for snow, moreso than Kinder area in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Rob 79812010 said:

People don't believe but I get the perspective living here I see the drifts that are usually out of main view.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Scuba steve said:

Looks warm though 😂

They built it on rock, it will stand 🤞

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & storms. Or very hot. None of this raining when it's sunny rubbish

Looks like this is a good* time for snow historically. 

*for low lying areas of the NW 

IMG_3422.png

IMG_3423.png

IMG_3424.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winter, Hot Summer

Dunno about this cold spell but the arctic air was so clear I got this picture from phone of the night sky. It will no doubt look plain black unless you enlarge it. Galaxy filaments /clusters? I don't know but someone will

Screenshot_20240119_211940.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

I've been out to the Roaches & Blackshaw Moor today to soak up a bit more VitaminD before the westerlies arrive again with a vengeance and there's still plenty of lying snow left on the moors and sheltered valleys which will all soon be gone by Sunday. Some good news is the few folks with cars/vans stuck in the Goyt Valley over the last 48hr have finally managed to get towed out by Peak 4X4 Volunteers as the slightly higher temps today allowed for enough ice thaw to get some of their vehicles in.

All eyes to the West from late tomorrow as Isha arrives.

190.thumb.jpg.221ee90ffc859720f75854491c682bfa.jpg191.thumb.jpg.f8950a16b8cb1156186cf94a6642060a.jpg

193.thumb.jpg.69e17051901f8332ba61468876265e80.jpg194.thumb.jpg.62da79ce80586103836728d320bc8cf4.jpg

Edited by toggerob
  • Like 8

Posted

Its been a very enjoyable 7 days overall weatherwise, proper winter conditions slap bang in the depths of winter.. as it should be. The outlook is unpalatable for cold snow hunters, but made more tolerable given the calm cold conditions of last 2 weeks. I'm hoping it blows itself quick and in a week's time there will be change of fortune on the cards back to more colder settled conditions at least, as I expect an exceptionally wet period ahead, and we won't want more rain for a while, combined with strong winds. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

And its back to good old rain 😫

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Wind is getting up, milder air has arrived and the snow melt has begun.

just need the rain to arrive and the weekend ruiner can be welcomed in.

looks like a day for some inside jobs.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Normal servicev is imminent. The rain is almost here.

Any surviving ⛄ are on borrowed time.

• Like 4