Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
49 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Erm, you are a weather frogs so you already have webbed feet?

You have got a point there - I'd better get higher up my ladder to keep them dry!🤣🐸

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Nothing of note yet in Barry, id expect that if we see gusts of 60-70mph then my sheltered location would get 40-55mph (which are still strong enough) normally 15-20mph less than the rest of Barry which I am thankful of in these situations. I love a good windstorm as I love most weather but they do make me nervous. Will be interesting to see how the evening progresses.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

On my other main source for weather info I have just spotted a list of real time trends of surface level pressure which tells me that in the three hours to 14.00 on Tiree island the barometer fell by 10.9 hPa and that may not be the steepest fall yet! Down here in Hen Gymru the notorious hot spot of Capel Curig has now reached gust of 80 mph.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Well me and Penny the dog were almost Dorothy and Toto on the howlingly  windy walk this pm.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun

The Pencaer peninsula is 1st in line for this... 

Winds SW/SSW gusting to 74mph at 5.15pm.

Showers at times heavy and persistent all day. 

I give up growing grass ...paddy fields the way to go....

No chance of spreading slurry for at least 2 to 3 weeks here at any rate. 

Door blown off the back of the shed. Thankfully it's only an average door. 

Secured everything we can. 

Hold on roofs 🙏

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow.

Feels fairly mellow here. Hasn't seemed very windy.

There were some sizeable surf down the beach earlier, but aside from rain, it doesn't feel very stormy. Definitely counting ourselves lucky (at least so far!).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Nothing major here still, can here the wind picking up outside but the garden is very sheltered from current wind direction so not recorded more than 14.8mph lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Fed up with the Storm Isha thread as it’s getting a bit daft.  So a question to the knowledgeable ones here.  Given that we got burnt so badly with Storm Arwen in 2021, albeit at in November, do you think Amber warning is valid?   I do, myself.  The bypass routes over the Dee bridges by Chirk have been closed because of the wind earlier and apparently we haven’t reached peak gust.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Fed up with the Storm Isha thread as it’s getting a bit daft.  So a question to the knowledgeable ones here.  Given that we got burnt so badly with Storm Arwen in 2021, albeit at in November, do you think Amber warning is valid?   I do, myself.  The bypass routes over the Dee bridges by Chirk have been closed because of the wind earlier and apparently we haven’t reached peak gust.

I'd say so, whilst the wind speeds are not exceptional for a winter storm (though don't get me wrong still very strong and capable of causing damage) I'd say the duration of the winds is more unusual and what could cause more damage from trees, structures etc getting a more prolonged battering and weakening risking damage and disruption. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

I think the amber warning is more to do with the gusts of 50-60mph being more inland than perhaps usual, nothing exceptional here in Swansea gusts may peak at around 70mph in a few spots (mumbles for example)

Still a powerful winter storm none the less with greater impacts towards NW Wales where peak gusts around 80-90mph. 

Posted

Nearest weather station from my house is Caernarfon airport which has now reached 81 mph gusts, not surprising really as it's right next to the beach which I am luckily not and I'm noticing the difference. Had the car out at lunch time for a test drive after a repair and it was already buffeted by the wind, so by now high sided lorries will be rather vulnerable on open roads and on bridges. Therefore, the amber warning is out for a good reason imo.

• Like 3

Posted

Poped my head out the back door and can hear the wind roaring away probably towards Barry Island but oddly barely a breeze by me still, I had expected to be getting some strong winds by now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Big big gusts here now and again, got to be +70mph

Posted
3 hours ago, Marcus_surfer said:

Big big gusts here now and again, got to be +70mph

Quite right, Mumbles got up to 77 mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Highest gusts so far here in the last 10-15 minutes. They seemed to be associated with the squall line that was by Swansea earlier on the radar below, but has since weakened as it moved east.

Luckily nothing unusual here so far, but sounds like it’s been nasty in some areas. Red warning just issued for NE Scotland too.

IMG_6852.jpeg

Much calmer here now after that went through. 

Edited by bradymk

Posted

Had a max gust of 22.8mph, my street was very sheltered from the sw wind last night.

Posted

That was the worse winds I’ve heard last night! How scary,it has calmed now,still windy but not the extent of last night, even the glass in the windows rattled! don’t want anymore storms like that!😩

Posted
4 minutes ago, whiskers said:

That was the worse winds I’ve heard last night! How scary,it has calmed now,still windy but not the extent of last night, even the glass in the windows rattled! don’t want anymore storms like that!😩

Agreed!  Went to bed about 10.30 last night, and it was wild!  I was just dozing off when there was the most incredible noise, like a tornado was rampaging down the street!  Honestly, I thought the windows were going to come in 😵 

Very scary!

Edited by lynncradick
  • Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, lynncradick said:

Agreed!  Went to bed about 10.30 last night, and it was wild!  I was just dozing off when there was the most incredible noise, like a tornado was rampaging down the street!  Honestly, I thought the windows were going to come in 😵 

Very scary!

That’s exactly how it was!😩 I was 🙏that nothing was going to come off the house!

can’t imagine other areas that had it worse than that!😩😩😩

• Like 1

Posted

Here 77.2 km/h was the highest gust last night and Rain :31.6 mm Since midnight hardly any 2.8 mm highest gust since midnight  68.5 km/h 00:16 now 20.4 km/h

• Insightful 1

Posted

Had expected more moderation in the wind by this point of the day, but, still pretty gusty. 

Tomorrow's wind kicks off mid morning and carries on until, mostly, breakfast time Wednesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I still think storm Arwen back in November 2021 is the worst winds i have seen since moving here as that must have had frequent inland gusts of 50-60mph with peaks possibly being 60-70mph.

There were a lot of proper big trees down from that one and i had never seen that before then. Normally its always weaker trees or ones that are shallow rooted.

I can say having been out in Isha last night that it wasn't at the level of Arwen like i thought it was going to be but still bought two gusts in the mid 50's which to me reminds me more of a storm we must of had in the early hours and morning sometime in the Autumn or Winter of 2019.

Overall the max gusts last night were probably the same as Arwen but were far more shortlived and gustier so its this that probably makes it feel like it was less severe.

• Like 3

Posted

Is it not a little late for the MetO to issue their yellow rain warning? Imo it was clear days ago that we would get another soaking today, made even more worse by the preceding storm related rainfall totals.

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

11 years ago today...haven't seen much like it since

Screenshot_20240123_162128_Photos.jpg

• Like 2