Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London and East Anglia Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 on

Posted
2 hours ago, DJ Fart said:

Ha ha!  I wouldn't read too much into car temperature readings.  It is very cold but I'm not sure it's reached -11 up the road in Sible.

That was the van. Car said -9c at 9am.

Posted
1 hour ago, MAF said:

are you not even allowed to put 'secondary' windows in? basically a window in front of the building's windows on the inside. some planning rules are quite archaic. even where i live in SE London there are restrictions to what householders can do to their property. after all 'their property' is the operative words

We used to live in a place like that, in winter we placed strong transparent plastic over the windows, it really helped.

• Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, snowray said:

Heavy looking showery PPN just NE of Norwich moving south, is it snowing up that way?😉

With these low temps and dew points would have been a winter wonderland this morning in the SE if we had got some of that snow inland yesterday. 

Any really small sowflakes blowing in the wind are being melted by the quite strong sunshine, its melted the snow off the roofs, grass is still white.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Just want to post up a few charts that illustrate how an unhelpful looking Northern Hemispheric profile synoptically, can eventually lead to a very helpful one, if a Snow laden Easterly, "floats your boat".

As am an old f--t, I can remember the Christmas of 1984 and how the Synoptic charts were looking back then:

Christmas Eve 1984, looking pretty "naff" but hang in there!! Christmas Day 1984 pretty mundane, too.

image.thumb.png.52bb1e04e2425687612d03766014dc5c.png image.thumb.png.d76042ddb9e4bd16faa3c88ab899f2af.png

But by Boxing Day 1984, the Atlantic seems to be slowing down? By the 28th, some W.A.A. [Warm Air Advection], is in evidence:

image.thumb.png.e978b60fcd6637b5cf7037e1a3a331c0.png /  image.thumb.png.d2035f8db2932ada53b838eb1e7f05f4.png

The following Day [29th], the core of heights are transferring  across the U.K., towards Scandinavia.

On New Year's Day 1985, there was a further bout of Warm Air Advection, surging Polewards: 

image.thumb.png.e50329deb269559f63d40fbfc5dd9950.png image.thumb.png.9750071ee903ecdb92b2ef6f393dd16f.png

By the 3rd January, the core of heights is in charge between Iceland and Svarlbard. The following Day [4th Jan], the Synoptics to our N.E., started to look very favourable: 

image.thumb.png.1dc1aebaf7dd3271a31f08c4596e2e3d.png image.thumb.png.27be3f655e284535d22d6f6db2b2acff.png

Then on the 5th January 1985 a bitterly cold flow from the N.E., was knocking on the door of our Region: 

image.thumb.png.b2214ff64766ac0c5f7954700a81beea.png       

I had just moved back to S.E. London, after living in Lincolnshire for a Year and seeing a few inches of settling Snow outside my Maisonette, was a perfect welcome home present, for this Snow Lover.     

It is quite an unusual Synoptic evolution and by no means am I suggesting the same is going to happen, this Winter.

But it does illustrate how a not very interesting Synoptic profile, in terms of a Wintry prospect for our Region, can become very interesting in terms of seeing Snow for our Region, if all the pieces of the Synoptic jigsaw fall into place.

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍

Edited by Tom Quintavalle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 hours ago, Methuselah said:

Not so much as a snow grain up here!

What a carp cold spell, I judge cold spells by the amount of snow grains that hit me in the eyeballs 👀 I am afraid to say that frost is very uninteresting lol. Let's hope we don't hear the phrase 2010 redux ever again this winter from all the experts in the thread 🙄

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 4

Posted

Well this has been a pretty non-descript cold spell in South Essex. Not a flake of snow and not even a frost (air too dry). Cold by day, some sun and some pretty chilly nights, but overall just the run of the mill winter cold spell. Not unexpected though considering it's a Northerly influence.

Eyes now on week 1/2 of February before any hope of another cold shot. Hopefully this one delivers and comes from an Easterly/North Easterly direction.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
49 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

It's snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :cold-emoji:    

image.png

That's a lively little blob south of Norwich.. Are you under it?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Can we get explosive/ ppn expansion?.. a rare breed- however it’s possible.. some surprises dustings/ coverings likely regional…

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, Gowon said:

That's a lively little blob south of Norwich.. Are you under it?

Not yet, but an anvil seems to be coming over. Meanwhile, it's all melted.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Can we get explosive/ ppn expansion?.. a rare breed- however it’s possible.. some surprises dustings/ coverings likely regional…

Unfortunately the wind is veering offshore over Norfolk and showers seem to being fed down the centre of the North Sea. Ostend looks to be in the firing line currently 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
15 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

I love that we are still hanging on by our fingernails for something out of this spell!

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

I love your sprit 🙂

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, throwoff said:

I love that we are still hanging on by our fingernails for something out of this spell!

it's over lol it is going to be double-digit temperatures all next week and the trees will start to bud 2023 redux style😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, fine wine said:

Ha ha ha!  My bad!  Trust me, don't pay attention to cars/vans/lorries/motorbikes/scooters temperature readings.  Get a proper station set up in the garden.

Posted
42 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

What a carp cold spell, I judge cold spells by the amount of snow grains that hit me in the eyeballs 👀 I am afraid to say that frost is very uninteresting lol. Let's hope we don't hear the phrase 2010 redux ever again this winter from all the experts in the thread 🙄

Oh yes, totally agree.  While sunny and cold is quite nice to look at, I'm not such a fan of having to have the heating on all day (working from home).  I've said it on the model thread plenty of times, but the "Get the cold in first!!!" and "Once the cold is in, it can be hard to shift!!!!" lot are just repeating tropes they've picked up from others.  How many times now have we had very cold, but very dry spells?  With all the advancement in technology and, alleged, understanding, we're still no better at predicting the weather, not really.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Been a bit busy last couple of days trying to keep warm working outside!!

What's the latest regarding that storm that was showing for Sunday?

Posted

^ might be a bit wet and windy for the SE... it's winter though 😉

No warning out yet from Met O for SE

Posted
2 minutes ago, DJ Fart said:

Oh yes, totally agree.  While sunny and cold is quite nice to look at, I'm not such a fan of having to have the heating on all day (working from home).  I've said it on the model thread plenty of times, but the "Get the cold in first!!!" and "Once the cold is in, it can be hard to shift!!!!" lot are just repeating tropes they've picked up from others.  How many times now have we had very cold, but very dry spells?  With all the advancement in technology and, alleged, understanding, we're still no better at predicting the weather, not really.  

and if you post that the cold block is going to get pushed away rapidly, then you are being negative and ruining the mood of the thread🙄 I wasn't aware that positive thinking could influence the weather lol

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

and if you post that the cold block is going to get pushed away rapidly, then you are being negative and ruining the mood of the thread🙄 I wasn't aware that positive thinking could influence the weather lol

Indeed.  If it could we'd all be under 12 foot drifts!  Honestly, the ignore user feature is great over there.  Anyone asking "Will it snow in..." gets blocked.  Anyone trying to use reverse psychology gets blocked.  Anyone crowing that they called it weeks ago, or says "As I predicted" (before it's even happened) gets blocked.  It does make the whole thing so much more enjoyable.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

well computer models do 😜 😄 

Posted
6 minutes ago, MAF said:

well computer models do 😜 😄 

yes they make the weather do the opposite to what they show when it comes to cold weather 😳

Posted
1 hour ago, fine wine said:

Here you go.  This was your nearest station's data:

0600: -6.2 deg C

0630: -6.5 deg C

0700: -6.2 deg C

0730: -6.2 deg C

0800: -5.9 deg C

0830: -5.3 deg C

0900: -4.1 deg C

Posted
17 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Been a bit busy last couple of days trying to keep warm working outside!!

What's the latest regarding that storm that was showing for Sunday?

Looks like we will miss the worst of it, not much rain but still pretty windy with gusts up to about 50mph Sunday night into Monday morning.

Still -1.6 rising slowly. Lovely and sunny.

Temperature for Saturday has been trending down now only predicted to reach 5. So hanging onto the cold for one last day.

Edited by snowblind