Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London and East Anglia Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.

Ah, that's a brilliant album, Tom. I have the vinyl original. So how was it down in the coast? It certainly got a bit breezy; I heard the wheely bin lids bang a couple of times but other than that we really didn't get much. It started getting blowy at around 16:00 but it was a little unusual in that we had just sustained wind, not particularly with gusts. Peak gust recorded at 05:27 was all of 21.4mph. It has stayed for about 14 hours and has only just settled a bit; currently around 6mph. Isha brought a lot of warm air with it, and I recorded 11.4 deg C at 5am! Lowest pressure was 991 hPa at 01:27. Could have been worse; I'll report back after the dog walk with the beach state as those winds will have driven high tides ashore.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Managed to survive the worst of that wind mostly unscathed. Lost a bit of bamboo screening in the garden but nothing major. 

A neighbour has lost their entire chimney which was scarily close to coming down where I had parked last night.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Here's the Region's max wind gusts for yesterday and today (up to 07.00). Pretty much as per the model forecasts for gusts up to 100 kmh (62 mph) anywhere across the Region. So far it appears the strongest gust in our locale (taken from the official automated station network) was recorded at Odiham, North Hampshire, yesterday evening with 112 kmh (70 mph).

Sun 21st Jan Eastwindgusts21Jan24.thumb.jpg.6765cd908a5af6b6174af803efaea085.jpg Mon 22nd Jan Eastwindgusts22Jan24.thumb.jpg.b84398caaa600d52421e85bb3abecc7d.jpg

Source: Starling Roost Weather

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Odiham is an RAF base ( I've worked there) and quite a flat part of the area, so i can see why the gusts were high there.

I live about 1.5 miles from city airport, but the other side of the river, and although it is a recording station at the airport i tend to dismiss it a bit as the site is pretty much sea level where readings are affected by the amount of structures around it and the low level. can be quite a difference from LCA readings to my address which is some 40M ASL. fortunately we had a reasonably calm night last night, but thats most likely due to the wind direction. my front of the house faces East, and halfway down a terrace the wind was getting blocked by the houses across the road from my back. 

i can see how many others suffered though and feel for them. the walk across Westminster bridge this morning was blustery but the walk through the park was a mission of avoiding loads of branches.

so, glad to hear there are no casualties this morning for our regional posters and, finger crossed, Tuesday will be not so ferocious 😄

Edited by MAF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
45 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Managed to survive the worst of that wind mostly unscathed. Lost a bit of bamboo screening in the garden but nothing major. 

A neighbour has lost their entire chimney which was scarily close to coming down where I had parked last night.

Bloody  hell! .. My chimney is big that if it came down I imagine it would cause a lot of damage to my roof.. 

There must have been lack of maintenance done on it. I've been thinking of getting rid of my one to save money in the long run.👍

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
4 minutes ago, Gowon said:

Bloody  hell! .. My chimney is big that if it came down I imagine it would cause a lot of damage to my roof.. 

There must have been lack of maintenance done on it. I've been thinking of getting rid of my one to save money in the long run.👍

It seemed to have done quite a bit of damage to the roof, if I had parked 2 cars further forward I doubt I would have a windscreen this morning. 

A tiny reminder that while we all love the weather, the chase and the thrill, it really can be a powerful and dangerous force. Had someone been walking along there in the early hours I have no doubt that would have been fatal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Here's the Region's max wind gusts for yesterday and today (up to 07.00). Pretty much as per the model forecasts for gusts up to 100 kmh (62 mph) anywhere across the Region. So far it appears the strongest gust in our locale (taken from the official automated station network) was recorded at Odiham, North Hampshire, yesterday evening with 112 kmh (70 mph).

Sun 21st Jan Eastwindgusts21Jan24.thumb.jpg.6765cd908a5af6b6174af803efaea085.jpg Mon 22nd Jan Eastwindgusts22Jan24.thumb.jpg.b84398caaa600d52421e85bb3abecc7d.jpg

Source: Starling Roost Weather

Just 49mph here at shoreham, a lot lower than I was expecting.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, throwoff said:

It seemed to have done quite a bit of damage to the roof, if I had parked 2 cars further forward I doubt I would have a windscreen this morning. 

A tiny reminder that while we all love the weather, the chase and the thrill, it really can be a powerful and dangerous force. Had someone been walking along there in the early hours I have no doubt that would have been fatal.

Indeed, and also people need to stop with the constant " it's all hyped up" or " i've seen worse".

That is the reason why they put warnings out.👍

• Like 5

Posted

I am sick and tired of Met O bashing where it comes to their weather warnings. Quite simply, if a person feels they are not warranted, then why bother discussing them. 

Personally I think the Met O are an organisation for the meteorological recording/forecasting/warning/etc etc and they are no doubt doing the best they can. why knock that? 😄

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
9 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Just 49mph here at shoreham, a lot lower than I was expecting.

It's interesting that - contrary to the Met Off amber warning - a stretch of South Coast (South Hampshire, West Sussex and East Sussex) missed the strongest winds, whilst inland the gusts were stronger. A great example of this in Hampshire where the max gust on the coast was 49 mph whilst Odiham in North Hampshire recorded 70 mph. If Nick is looking through the thread he may have a view about what caused this. Maybe a squall line passing across the Region was less organised in southern locations?

• Like 2

Posted

I think geography plays a part too. Hills/plains/urban/built up all probably affect the outcome of a gust depending on the geographical contours of the lay of the land. Just me thinking aloud. 😄 

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

It's interesting that - contrary to the Met Off amber warning - a stretch of South Coast (South Hampshire, West Sussex and East Sussex) missed the strongest winds, whilst inland the gusts were stronger. A great example of this in Hampshire where the max gust on the coast was 49 mph whilst Odiham in North Hampshire recorded 70 mph. If Nick is looking through the thread he may have a view about what caused this. Maybe a squall line passing across the Region was less organised in southern locations?

Yes it's very bizarre, considering this location is fairly exposed to the south-westerly winds with the channel on the doorstep. It'd be interesting to hear an explanation.

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

I can confirm NW London is still standing.

As is Bedfordshire. Absolutely no talk in the office this morning of last nights wind gusts. No wonder Joe public don't take warnings seriously, when the impact across the country is isolated incidents. 

Wish we could go back to the good ole days when a Windy day was just a Windy day instead of the media hype and naming windy periods as a storm.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, Polaris said:

As is Bedfordshire. Absolutely no talk in the office this morning of last nights wind gusts. No wonder Joe public don't take warnings seriously, when the impact across the country is isolated incidents. 

Wish we could go back to the good ole days when a Windy day was just a Windy day instead of the media hype and naming windy periods as a storm.

They should stick to warnings, naming storms is just plain daft.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Pressure was down to around, 940s or 950s was it? That's a storm in any day and age.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.

Update on the beach. It's still there, although as may be expected with the storm surge, low tide is  almost where high tide normally is, with big rollers pounding in.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Just because it didn't impact your area as much doesn't mean it wasn't a storm.

Should we not consider the great storm of 87 a storm just because it had a greater impact in the south?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

And the next one is incoming for tomorrow, Oh joy

image.thumb.png.52d96c974272d5c5a708578be29ba8ae.png

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Gowon said:

Just because it didn't impact your area as much doesn't mean it wasn't a storm.

Should we not consider the great storm of 87 a storm just because it had a greater impact in the south?

Yes it was bad in places but they should drop naming them, nobody remembers the names anyway lol

Posted
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Yes it was bad in places but they should drop naming them, nobody remembers the names anyway lol

I agree.👍

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Gowon said:

I agree.👍

How is it looking in the MOD thread, is it still doom and gloom, I dare not look.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

How is it looking in the MOD thread, is it still doom and gloom, I dare not look.

It's not looking good. We might be stuck with this pattern until March🤮

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters
1 hour ago, Polaris said:

They now name Storms as the States do, This is for a number of reasons, but mainly in Tracking on Social media etc and to compile Historical records.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The latest list of storm names for winter 2023-2024 have been announced but why do we give storms names and who choses them? Find out more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1