Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The Icelandic wave still niggles  but as former the breakaway relative shortwaves look better tracked..

397BEB96-9680-4B55-AD10-375854C9D37E.png

EA431453-469F-49A3-801C-E12802C5553B.png

47EDEFA5-D28C-4E53-BA8A-57CF401ADDF8.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted

Cold is 150 miles further south on the GFS so far at 102h

• Like 7

Posted
18 minutes ago, Paul said:

Not wanting to pee on anyone's parade here, but proper analysis would surely be far more nuanced than that, especially going beyond the weekend in terms of specifics of the cold's longevity, how far south it reaches/stays & any snow risk around that. All the data points don't point in one direction. Many point in a similar direction, but there are operational runs (namely the GFS today) and plenty of ensemble members from various models which show differing solutions.

Yes, the colder outlooks in the shorter to medium term do look more likely right now and I'd certainly take the UKMO and ECM above the GFS 9 times out of 10, but that's not the same as the colder/coldest options being the only possibility on the table. 

Oh I agree this morning I posted that a cold spell with some snow was nailed on and that the only thing to sort out was how severe and how long. That’s the bit now coming into the reliable timeframe but I certainly feel confident considering the 60-75% ensemble support depending on if you look at GEM or EPS ensembles that some of the horror runs showing one day of cold and transitional snow is highly unlikely 

• Like 3

Posted
38 minutes ago, LRD said:

Scott - got to challenge this. EC46 has been consistently showing a mild week 22 Jan. It's also been consistently showing colder potential after, too, which I've pointed out most evenings on here too. 

It's a model from the respected ECMWF and this is the model thread.

It's funny that people are allowed to look miles in the future for cold but we're not allowed to look at what might happen after the cold (I was actually looking for signs that it might extend into the week of the 22nd)

The irony is that I've been one of the most steadfast on this cold spell happening when others have panicked and given up at the slightest hint of things going wrong in the day-day runs!

I’ve never said it won’t turn mild after the 22nd LRD I’ve been focused on a pattern change to snow and cold from the 15th which is now coming into the semi reliable. 15th to the 22nd has been a big win for those who use gdsm products to predict this some 3 weeks ago.  The 22nd is all to play for but we do have support from the met office. This week is a watching brief. Like I say all to sort out is severity and longevity

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Much better at t132.

IMG_0967.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

GFS isn't having it.

Onto the overnight runs.

Posted

This is a tad worrying now, I was expecting at least moderate change earlier in the run. Not looking forward to tomorrow morning's runs with my usual anticipation. 

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

The Icelandic wave still niggles  but as former the breakaway relative shortwaves look better tracked..

397BEB96-9680-4B55-AD10-375854C9D37E.png

EA431453-469F-49A3-801C-E12802C5553B.png

47EDEFA5-D28C-4E53-BA8A-57CF401ADDF8.png

Shutdown time again.. the gfs is either seriously misfiring on the polar field.. or it’s steadfast with the new by road!!@simple…

686BCCFA-ABE6-4B7D-B1F5-D5A3848A32EC.png

D09983D5-9AE6-40E7-8F0E-713EF4FB0B25.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.
Just now, Rocheydub said:

This is a tad worrying now, I was expecting at least moderate change earlier in the run. Not looking forward to tomorrow morning's runs with my usual anticipation. 

Comment just above you says much better at 132 than I read yours. Confused.com here. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Either MOGREPS, UKMO and the ECM/EPS all have this wrong and somehow the GFS det is correct despite the GEFS being a complete and utter mess with no discernible signal, or the GFS is just rather useless. 

I know which camp I'm in. We'll see on the overnight runs, can't discount the GFS but the evidence is certainly against it.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very cold.

GFS not budging.....surely this can't be ignored. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Oh I agree this morning I posted that a cold spell with some snow was nailed on and that the only thing to sort out was how severe and how long. That’s the bit now coming into the reliable timeframe but I certainly feel confident considering the 60-75% ensemble support depending on if you look at GEM or EPS ensembles that some of the horror runs showing one day of cold and transitional snow is highly unlikely 

Theres a fine line between being over confident and coming across as  arrogant, simply just dismissing other peoples views when they show charts backing up that point with a sweeping remark cutting them down is a bit low!... but there you go each to their own!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Well that went wrong  quick. T132 it looked better to me and then……

IMG_0955.png

IMG_0957.gif

IMG_0969.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Wow it's really not budging..still turning out rubbish!

Rubbish!? -10hpa into Scotland, plenty of snow showers in favoured spots for a time. Do accept in terms of longevity it might not be as good but there is hints the colder air is being further forward and the transition day could be the 14th.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Bartlett High said:

GFS not budging.....surely this can't be ignored. 

No don’t ignore it. Just accept that it is different to majority of the rest of the outcome.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
Just now, Met4Cast said:

Either MOGREPS, UKMO and the ECM/EPS all have this wrong and somehow the GFS det is correct despite the GEFS being a complete and utter mess with no discernible signal, or the GFS is just rather useless. 

I know which camp I'm in. We'll see on the overnight runs, can't discount the GFS but the evidence is certainly against it.

If it was the other way around with the GFS showing the cold solution and the other major models not we wouldn’t even give it 10% chance . But this is the UK and if it can go wrong it will

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Met4Cast said:

It’s a case of looking at its emsembles again vs ensembles for all the other models (which are out and very good) and if the gfs ensembles again show little support it’s just another run in an atmosphere that has a shed load of things going off. Like you say onto tomorrows runs now

• Like 3

Posted

The good point in basis.. when the American mod op/raw- is up against most/ all other raws at given time stamps!! And also starts shortwave/ lps ejection from the weaker lobe… it’s failing..🏃‍♂️🤘..  so the gfs is on dynamic .. playing catch up.

7A6575E0-62F7-4353-9292-E8F71DDE2224.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 4