Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

deep low for southern england\east anglia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Don't think I've seen continuous rain for this long, this intense in winter before.  Usually reserved for the warmer seasons.  The roads are flooded everywhere.

Certainly been an interesting start to the year here, with Tuesdays storm as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
43 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Don't think I've seen continuous rain for this long, this intense in winter before.  Usually reserved for the warmer seasons.  The roads are flooded everywhere.

Certainly been an interesting start to the year here, with Tuesdays storm as well.

I thought that earlier. Had been inside for a while without a window so didn't know how heavy the rain had been until I came out to se what seemed more like torrential rain you'd get in heavy showers. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

This evening's weather in the SE just shows the professionals still can't a handle on this sort of set up. 

Imagine if the air had been much colder and this was all snow.

No play if this had been early July on outside courts

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

An amber warning was needed.

I agree wih you. The Thames burst its banks here overnight, so flooding was already an issue. Combination of run off and storm drains blocked by debris from Henk has made for very hazardous road conditions this evening. Thought tonight's rain had stopped, but looks like it's pivoting over me and coming back! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Here's a snapshot of the accumulations over the past 12 hours:

Screenshot2024-01-04213151.thumb.png.d32c8372f75a0ef35ae18344c19f219e.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Absolutely pouring down still here.  Been pouring since 1430hrs

BFTP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Having seen the rain in West London earlier, I'm not at all surprised by that

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Torrential all afternoon around Esher today must be pushing 50 mm since around 2pm today and it’s just started up again !

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Frosty hollows said:

I agree wih you. The Thames burst its banks here overnight, so flooding was already an issue. Combination of run off and storm drains blocked by debris from Henk has made for very hazardous road conditions this evening. Thought tonight's rain had stopped, but looks like it's pivoting over me and coming back! 

Nearly every road is either impassable due to flooding or accidents - not me trying to move my car btw..sent by a friend

Edited by Frosty hollows
Typo
  • Like 4

Posted

Chaos around North Hampshire area. 3 of the 4 roads out of my village blocked by flood water and multiple abandoned cars.

M3 closed due to flooding and mainline from Basingstoke to Southampton blocked by landslip at Micheldever.

WWW.BASINGSTOKEGAZETTE.CO.UK

Road closures have affected a number of major roads in Hampshire as flood water strikes
WWW.HAMPSHIRECHRONICLE.CO.UK

A landslip has blocked all lines on a Hampshire rail route

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

The triangle shows me having less than I think I've had! Local weather station shows 40.5mm to midnight.

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Lots of flooded roads within 15 miles of me. 

At 500ft I'm not effected much. Finally stopped raining 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms /winter storms and blizzards.
Posted (edited)

Major flooding this morning on the river wensum and around Norfolk the rain as eased off but now a cold wind. 

Edited by Robert1981

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

The Env Agency chart below is from yesterday. The issuing of  yellow/Amber warnings is closely tied between Env agencies and Met Office

Has that worked recently in terms of impacts seen by people over after Christmas, from Storms Gerrit and Henk, then yesterday evening?

There has been major disruption each time, the yellow rain warning applied from 12 noon til early hours of Friday from Cornwall to Norfolk. Perhaps the system is due an update with a more informative (yet not confusing) representation. That the yellow warning in Surrey at 1pm is not for the same conditions expected by 6pm so that people can make informed choices if the warnings/names are issued in time.

The first radar image shows 24 hour accumulation til 0930 this morning. Radar imagery does need some interpretation. There can be obstructions in the way of the beam (even some tall trees) and it blocks the outward range and recording. You can see some of the straight lines from one site (Chenies I think). So you almost have to fill in the gaps visually. Shannon is out again after an upgrade.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9866-understanding-weather-radar

It has also been very wet for eastern Aberdeenshire , with black ice causing problems on the A96 this morning

0105rainfall.png

0104envagency.png

radaranetwork.png

0105radar10.png

0105lowpress.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

The Env Agency chart below is from yesterday. The issuing of  yellow/Amber warnings is closely tied between Env agencies and Met Office

Has that worked recently in terms of impacts seen by people over after Christmas, from Storms Gerrit and Henk, then yesterday evening?

There has been major disruption each time, the yellow rain warning applied from 12 noon til early hours of Friday from Cornwall to Norfolk. Perhaps the system is due an update with a more informative (yet not confusing) representation. That the yellow warning in Surrey at 1pm is not for the same conditions expected by 6pm so that people can make informed choices if the warnings/names are issued in time.

The first radar image shows 24 hour accumulation til 0930 this morning. Radar imagery does need some interpretation. There can be obstructions in the way of the beam (even some tall trees) and it blocks the outward range and recording. You can see some of the straight lines from one site (Chenies I think). So you almost have to fill in the gaps visually. Shannon is out again after an upgrade.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9866-understanding-weather-radar

It has also been very wet for eastern Aberdeenshire , with black ice causing problems on the A96 this morning

So is it a case that the science is there, the experts are good at their subject matter; however the administration side are not so good at giving adequate warnings and information with what is given to them? Seems to me that if the professional experts at the MO and EA are telling their respective agencies that there are potential risks, they are been ignored....

OK, here in London there was disruption from Henk which could have been warned about better. And yesterdays deluge was, well a lot of rain in a short period; but you are right in the point that perhaps more localised fluid warnings need to be considered with rolling updates as events move along. 

sorry if this is off topic. 🙂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
15 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

The triangle shows me having less than I think I've had! Local weather station shows 40.5mm to midnight.

I've noticed that weird anomaly on radar a few times, definitely some kind of artefact

• Thanks 1

Posted

I did invite the discussion, after even more rain from this low => disruption. And we've had the unusual peaks in travel, not the usual weekday commuting that needed factoring into the impact-based warning system.

I don't think I can watch any more videos of dumb people driving into floodwaters and getting stuck 

WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

The weekend is looking drier but colder. Some good news for the flood hit areas although the larger river systems are still responding to recent rains. Next up frost, ice and freezing fog.

janflood.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, daveinSB said:

I've noticed that weird anomaly on radar a few times, definitely some kind of artefact

It's really, Really, REALLY annoying!!!

Posted

hi if there is a mod read this could u change the title please it was called storm brigitta named by fub berlin.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Robert1981 said:

hi if there is a mod read this could u change the title please it was called storm brigitta named by fub berlin.

Germany sell names for Lows and Highs, so don't really want to get involved with all of those. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Germany sell names for Lows and Highs, so don't really want to get involved with all of those. 

Ok no worries just thought I would mention it.