Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

It's gone proper cold out there tonight, all the slush left behind from the snow has frozen into lethal neck breaking patches of ice. Have to walk in the road to avoid it on the pavements in some places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, tom_f123 said:

Absolutely, this ‘cold spell’ has been a complete joke 

It has been a good cold spell for me, some sunshine and no hazardous icy conditions so I don't need to dress as though I am about to hike up Ben Nevis anytime I want to go outside for more than five minutes. It has been snowless here in Horsham apart from a very light dusting last week that lasted a few hours but with the amount of disruption on the trains (and not just strike action) over the last three years I will happily do without another excuse for delays/cancellations in addition to fault with the signalling system and staff shortages.

Posted

Channel system - looking at radar and live webcams in Lille & Brussels, although a light covering, there doesn't appear to have been the 20-30cm of snow that some TV forecasts were predicting for Europe!

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Freeze said:

I would much rather wind and rain to cold cloudy nothingness, especially when there's a wall of snow 20 miles south of here going nowhere.

It’s a very thin wall of snow, in fact in northern France it’s been mainly rain with any snow further east over Benelux. Interesting sharp temperature gradients though

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
2 hours ago, Paul said:

Aviemore today 🙂

avi-snow.jpg

Great stuff! I went there in July a couple of years back, not sure what usual summer weather is like but we got 3/4 days of mostly sunny, warm conditions! 

Kayaking on Lake Morlich, warm enough to sunbathe on the loch beach, etc. 

Lovely area, no way I'd be able to relocate into such a place though until I am much, much older.

My career chains me to London, for now at least!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I do like the stormy weather in Autumn and Winter.. the excessive rain over the last few months has been a nightmare though.

Went for a ride on the mtb last night, the local floodplain is still under water after almost two weeks of no rain.

20240116_224321.thumb.jpg.8233b017dcd4f195b8dad6d0be406297.jpg

The rain effects are still dissipating! Our garden isn't the swamp that it was 3 weeks ago...but certainly not healed. If we have a wet Feb, it'll be game over

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
3 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

You need to take me there on a Netweather date! 

You have a deal 😁

• Thanks 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, johncam said:

You have a deal 😁

Yippeee! I'll start packing! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
10 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Yippeee! I'll start packing! 

Yer mad wummin,  😁 in a good way. You would love it. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, johncam said:

Yer mad wummin,  😁 in a good way. You would love it. 

I love a bit of banter! Makes the world go round right 👍 x

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

I was going to comment on the weather but I feel I'm interrupting something so will bow out😉

That was an hour ago ... Your late but your also welcome to join us in the snow love shack. It's open to all! ...

Posted

I wouldn't want to interfere with your snowy "entertainment".

Besides, I may be snowless here but I'm not too far away snow covered mountains if I want a fix.

Though tbh my enthusiasm for actually being out in proper snow has waned over the years.

A few unpleasant mountain blizzards and a couple of other mountain "events" which in hindsight were uncomfortably close to very serious has made me much more of a snow wimp than I used to be when I was younger. Even spending two and a half days getting home when the Beast struck in 2018 was more of a PITA than the adventure it would have been.

Posted
1 minute ago, Zero Visibility said:

Morning gang, had another dusting overnight which was never forecast, just sprung up over my area out of nowhere. Just goes to show you get the cold embedded the surprises will follow! Also I think someone on here got their wish for a Pembrokshire dangler 😂

Anyway Gem this morning keeping the interest alive, let's hope its not long before everywhere can get a good white coating!

spacer.png

That would be me😆😆❄️

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter. Anything extreme.
Just now, Harveyslugger said:

That would be me😆😆❄️

Ha ha, I know mate, and I know you have probably been on radar watch just like me 😁

Posted
Just now, Zero Visibility said:

Ha ha, I know mate, and I know you have probably been on radar watch just like me 😁

Yes.hardly slept.But I seem to be always dodging and going through gaps of showers.cant complain though😂I got 2cm of graupels not snow.do you know what causes graupels instead of snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Sadly this fantastic spell of perfect winter weather is coming to a end, outlook is very bleak, mild and wet, exactly what we don't want, suspect in my area this is going to be another Winterless season. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

-5°C in London this morning, doesn’t happen very often

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

I've enjoyed this recent cold snap/spell (however you want to define it) albeit I understand a large portion of the UK certainly away from Scotland, NI and NW England have been deprived of any meaningful snowfall. But there is one think that has irked me..

The 1-6cm ish or so that fell widely across the NW England region on Tuesday morning has mostly melted (it did so later on Tuesday as temps rose and stayed above freezing throughout much of the afternoon and evening) although my area 200m+ above sea level has happily retained most of the thin cover we received, and it looks so pretty with a combination of thin snow cover, ice and frost, with the sun yesterday making it look artic-like. (The icy conditions have made some local roads absolutely horrific to drive on - some of the worst driving conditions I've ever seen from just a thin coating of snow).

But while we received a little bit of snowfall, the annoying thing is we didn't get anything significant - and it is akin to the cold spell we received late November whereby, it was so cold and frosty and at face value it had so much potential - but we just never seemed to receive a direct hit of heavy snow showers or longer spells of snowfall which my area so often receives in years gone by. 

Is this something we're seeing more of in the UK in recent times? Cold snaps but with a lack of precipitation compared to what we can often receive? It's hard to say I think we may of just been unlucky.

I shouldn't be too upset - of course it was less than a year (March 2023) when we received 10-15cm of snowfall overnight, but this I recall was the largest fall I have had since March 2018. 

Just seems to be the cold snaps in recent times, however potent or brief, its a painful chase precipitation wise. It just feels so dry. Throughout the 1990s and 2000s, during the milder winters we always still got something of note i.e. a brief Northerly incursion and it would so often bring a fall of 5cm minimal in my area. 

Then again what would you rather chase - a wide area of precipitation but with temperatures on the borderline with it possibly falling as sleet or rain, or would you rather it be very very cold (well below freezing) but just a smattering of pink on the precip models? It seems to be either or these days!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
28 minutes ago, markyo said:

Sadly this fantastic spell of perfect winter weather is coming to a end, outlook is very bleak, mild and wet, exactly what we don't want, suspect in my area this is going to be another Winterless season. 

Depends what you define as 'Winterless' I suppose - I'm sure Sheffield has experienced some freeezing weather just like the rest of us recently, albeit I suspect your dissatisfaction is at the lack of snowfall(?) 

It is interesting how we're separated by just 20 miles but you didn't get much - those Pennines act as a shield don't they. (It works the other way round too of course - yorks gets a coating but doesn't make it over to my side!)

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

-5°C in London this morning, doesn’t happen very often

Properly bitter! But absolutely clear, and still. Very lovely winter morning. 

Rare indeed to get Winter days like this in London

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

I declare this latest chase “worth the effort”. Considering right up until Monday no forecaster would commit to anything other than Cold,Dry and maybe Sleet!

Winter 2024 delivers 😄🥶

IMG_7663.thumb.jpeg.22c002eb2791d3e4eae08c84a4ecffa0.jpeg

IMG_7674.thumb.jpeg.137aa5bf88904cd4ce8e27463684b311.jpeg

IMG_7658.thumb.jpeg.6802fddaa19ce39cd4e3f984ac50a40a.jpeg

6b3960e4-adef-414a-b132-1501c7709477.thumb.jpeg.003ecc2a4d97b75f6c51a9e78f73aaa7.jpeg

• Like 4