Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
4 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

“Don’t worry too much about snow chances. Small features will always pop up at short notice that the models won’t yet see”.

I must have read this comment a thousand times in some form over the last few days. 

So what has changed? I know people may be a bit grumpy that the models are firming up on an end to this cold spell. But there seems to have been a complete collapse in excitement for the next week. Are people simply overreacting to Wednesdays low no longer going in the desired direction. Or is there something else?

Snow watch to a bore fest frost watch essentially. Models started to subtly flip a few days ago, some were clinging on but it's normally writing on the wall at that point. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

“Don’t worry too much about snow chances. Small features will always pop up at short notice that the models won’t yet see”.

I must have read this comment a thousand times in some form over the last few days. 

So what has changed? I know people may be a bit grumpy that the models are firming up on an end to this cold spell. But there seems to have been a complete collapse in excitement for the next week. Are people simply overreacting to Wednesdays low no longer going in the desired direction. Or is there something else?

We won't! In response to your first line 😂

1 minute ago, Wilko999 said:

Snow watch to a bore fest frost watch essentially. Models started to subtly flip a few days ago, some were clinging on but it's normally writing on the wall at that point. 

It was when that 'bulge' started to appear wasn't it? 😁

Posted
8 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

That was always my biggest fear about this particular warming. I think you're right unfortunately. You couldn't make it up could you? 

We needed the major ssw. A displaced  or stretched pv doesn't cut it as it increases  the risk  of a return to zonal.  

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Bricriu said:

We needed the major ssw. A displaced  or stretched pv doesn't cut it as it increases  the risk  of a return to zonal.  

I totally agree 👍 

1 minute ago, Garthvader said:

God almighty pass me the rope!

Give people reasons not to pass it to you 😜

Posted
16 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

If we look at the GFS strat forecasts I think we can find an answer to where this zonal push within the modelling is coming from.

GDq3ul_WAAAB-4G.thumb.jpeg.e13efdf3aadb8bd364eed41596f4719c.jpegGDq3vr_WMAAOQPG.thumb.jpeg.977dbb7aea9b2c75c070b19c668a0ec2.jpeg

The Canadian lobe of the sPV appears to get sucked towards Siberia by the stronger SIberian lobe, this occurs 17th-20th, around the time we're seeing modelling flatten the Atlantic pattern out and return the tropical jet northwards. This could perhaps be a response to the minor SSW we've recently seen, perhaps a case of the worst timing ever? (I did muse that a SSW minor or otherwise could potentially disrupt any cold spell a while back).

Once that transition has occurred & based on the current background forcing I see no reason why we wont see high pressure beginning to re-establish itself in a more favourable place for further cold weather outbreaks, Tamara has outlined this far better than I can in a few of her recent posts on this thread. 

Are we away to see it moving towards a full blown ssw?? 

IMG_5627.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

The only good thing about this chart is that cold is beginning to re-establish itself over Scandinavia & a split PV could be forming again.

Other than that it's a case of grin and bear it and above all let's try and enjoy next week !

GFSOPEU18_354_1.thumb.png.639c27f6894b73cf05a69a6dfb0c93c3.png  GFSOPNH18_372_1.thumb.png.a61af1989d70a6ec38b29a2e94c987b5.png

Edited by Purga
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

What I find interesting with the MJO is that when it gets into so cold favourable cold sectors for us, that we just get a mid latitude block or brief cold spell like next week.

Yet, now that the MJO is moving into unfavourable sectors for cold the NAO goes rock solid positive for weeks.

The opposite never seems to occur.

It seems just above zonal wind speed is enough to set the zonal express train kicking in happened last cold spell to back in the start of December everything looked rosy but quickly turned on its head like a flick of a switch.

Ps Maybe it will all switch back tomorrow and we see these wedges that's been talked about yea never know 🙏 

ps2png-worker-commands-6dbddc6bc7-6hdx5-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-axSHPb.png

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Right 😉 let's put this 11 days and only one run etc business to bed.

The pattern collapse starts with lobe closing of the two lobes of vortex middle next week!  around day  5 across all models they are  not getting that  wrong and if anything it  has  accelerated it throughout todays modelling!  it is going to happen and is the 1st domino the rest that follows is the  domino vortex reforming  effect... its a long way back from the below chart and already ec46 is pushing anything of interest to February week 2.. tick tock......

image.thumb.png.bfe77de154e812bbbeedd54a4e8978a8.png

Yawn, that really is a hideous chart for cold lovers. Something straight out of a horror film. Shocking to see how it all collapsed in such short notice, few days back it was looking promising for cold to extend to months end. Even the met update had this idea, now all models converging on this idea of a +NAO setup. Sad to see, after such a draining December (pun intended 🙃)

A repeat of December 2022, thought I don't expect this spell to be as cold as that. Still, we have a week of cold weather to enjoy so it ain't all that bad. Long range models hinting at a blocked February, so perhaps this spell is just a taster of what's to come. Let's hope. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Hammy79 said:

Been refraining for commenting on all the moans but this tips me over- pass me the rope? really? A very flippant and not thought out comment at all.

Its weather- it will do what it wants to do, we are literally seeing cold from Sunday evening pour into the UK for at least a week and nothing is set in stone with regard to snow. 

Granted we are not seeing the charts we were with a foot of snow in places but in reality that was  a scenario in the envelope 7/10 days away.  A bit like what we are seeing now with the signaled breakdown- its all scenarios. 

Sorry for derailing the thread even more but comments like this get to me, especially with what is going on in the world. 

Its. Just. Weather. 

He/she could well have been making exactly the same point as you if you think about it. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, blizzard81 said:

He/she could well have been making exactly the same point as you if you think about it. 

Correct ......Edited 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

How many times do i have to say this. Maybe but it's hard to get a prolonged period of cold even with a major SSW, we're about to get one w/very weak surface response. We just had a reflected wave enhance the Greenland high, w/out we might not even had got it and that was a byproduct of the minor SSW. It was just that we're still in a transient signal period because of the north Pacific signal. A displaced or stretched and zonal link is not a 1 to 1 link, we're not in a zonal set up because of the minor SSW but because of some slight changes in the north American setup combined w/the Alaskan high. 

Always North America though. These small changes 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
Just now, blizzard81 said:

Always North America though. These small changes 

Have to agree w/you there it's such a big driver of our weather that's typically a very transient signal.

• Thanks 1

Dan Hutchings, Stateside, is suggesting that we are likely to see weeks of very unsettled and mild weather in the UK. This is due partly to the cold artic plunge into the USA and the positioning of the UK in a Geographical context. He does hint at potential Greenland blocking in March associated with an uptick in the MJO

• Insightful 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Okay, thought about it- and even if they are coming from the same angle as me, they have phrased it completely wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
2 minutes ago, Jono E said:

Dan Hutchings, Stateside, is suggesting that we are likely to see weeks of very unsettled and mild weather in the UK. This is due partly to the cold artic plunge into the USA and the positioning of the UK in a Geographical context. He does hint at potential Greenland blocking in March associated with an uptick in the MJO

I have a massive sense of de ja vue,  Didn't you post something similar about 6/8hrs ago and the knowledgeable posters on here debunked this theory 🤔

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hotter the better
12 minutes ago, Hammy79 said:

Been refraining for commenting on all the moans but this tips me over- pass me the rope? really? A very flippant and not thought out comment at all.

Its weather- it will do what it wants to do, we are literally seeing cold from Sunday evening pour into the UK for at least a week and nothing is set in stone with regard to snow. 

Granted we are not seeing the charts we were with a foot of snow in places but in reality that was  a scenario in the envelope 7/10 days away.  A bit like what we are seeing now with the signaled breakdown- its all scenarios. 

Sorry for derailing the thread even more but comments like this get to me, especially with what is going on in the world. 

Its. Just. Weather. 

Totally correct not a very well thought out comment, it’s weather, does it matter…. It will be what it will be!!!  Just enjoy the journey it sends us on!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes of any sort
41 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

GFSOPEU18_252_1.thumb.png.63c026af8a2f79d78db530afad64e2f6.png

Even the cold that has been stuck around Scandi in recent months is just blown away like it's paper😂

A while to get there, but more likely than not we are back into a zonalfest for the final 7-10 days of the month. Next opportunity for something of interest is in early February perhaps after next week is over and done with? MJO, rising +AAM anomalies, weakening strat winds etc could come into play, but it's anyone's guess at the moment what those drivers will do to the troposphere in 3 weeks time and if the UK will be on the lucky or unlucky side of any blocking.

I mentioned it yesterday but forgetten by now. I believe the cold air outbreak impacting the lower 48 is indirectly to blame. Temperature gradient increases allowing the jetstream over the Atlantic to strengthen, causing further intense storms over north east USA, overiding any blocking over Greenland, and then sending it all into north west Europe / north east Atlantic.

N4ZkBn6Dbj.thumb.gif.1ca5ab1a25aa10a243a21616d64ac231.gif

Agreed. As we saw amplification in pacific. The only signal that really matter for Uk is the jet. It will override all. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

How many times do i have to say this. Maybe but it's hard to get a prolonged period of cold even with a major SSW, we're about to get one w/very weak surface response. We just had a reflected wave enhance the Greenland high, w/out we might not even had got it and that was a byproduct of the minor SSW. It was just that we're still in a transient signal period because of the north Pacific signal. A displaced or stretched and zonal link is not a 1 to 1 link, we're not in a zonal set up because of the minor SSW but because of some slight changes in the north American setup combined w/the Alaskan high. 

A major one surely increases our chances of getting a sustained  Greenland high rather than a transient one? I appreciate its not a guarantee of anything 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

I have a massive sense of de ja vue,  Didn't you post something similar about 6/8hrs ago and the knowledgeable posters on here debunked this theory 🤔

Just Googled Dan Hutchings weather....... Drew a blank. Feel like I've been played 😂😂😂😂. Joking aside, not good trends today at all it has to be said with regards to something more than a 5 day flirt with winter. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

I’m just passing on information that’s coming out of Boston. It is model related. I’m a coldie myself, I think March will deliver. 

Edited by Jono E
Spelling error
  • Thanks 1