Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish weather discussion - Spring 2023/24

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
2 minutes ago, NorthYorksWeather said:

Yes Dalwhinnie now showing -9 instead of -12c. Almost cancelled the holiday when I saw that! The snow symbols always seem to become less and less. Thankfully the computer generated apps are useless in a convective flow from experience from back home with snow showers moving off the North Sea. 

We have went from-6 to -2 and no   ice days now , aw well mabye next time 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, johncam said:

I think the one of the issues for low minimas this week is the wind doesn’t look like it will let up. Ideally you’d want light winds under slack flow with snow cover on ground which doesn’t look likely as it stands. 

• Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, johncam said:

It is still going to feel raw. The temps still showing -3. I also think the gfs has the low nailed on. It has picked up signals before most models recently. The icon has started to side with the gfs. Hopefully things flip back to cold before next weekend. 🥶🥶🥶

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Big Gally said:

It is still going to feel raw. The temps still showing -3. I also think the gfs has the low nailed on. It has picked up signals before most models recently. The icon has started to side with the gfs. Hopefully things flip back to cold before next weekend. 🥶🥶🥶

Indeed. -13 850hpa temps lingering off the North coast. Really is going to feel Baltic. 🥶 

IMG_7616.thumb.gif.890fe691a2d557b22982d90b0a9ee9c4.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Found the latest WRF 6z run interesting, only runs out to 36hr but has hinted at some showers getting far south as central belt and SW - noticed this for around midnight into early hours of tonight and then again around late afternoon tomorrow, which I have attached. 

nmm_uk1-1-34-0.png

Edited by Bullseye
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Upon seeing statements that would lead anyone to believe a drastic change had occured with our upcoming setup IT HAS NOT. 

Entirely fitting to my thoughts from 8 days ago 

Jan 15th - 21st was always probable for the most severe conditions 

gem-ens-T2ma-eu-fh24-210.gifgem-ens-T850a-eu-fh24-210.gif

gem-ens-T2m-eu-fh24-204.gif

The latest Exeter update is interesting! Extended update winds coming from the north or east. ❄️❄️

Edited by Big Gally
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
2 hours ago, johncam said:

Let’s see what happens. It could be right and it’s not as severe as forecast, but I think these events can begin to appear changeable the closer we get.

• Like 7

Posted

Ground frost this morning but still no January air frost. Hopefully that drought will be ended tomorrow evening!

Spent the day in Edinburgh and it’s been very pleasant with some sun, light winds and 7c this afternoon.

• Like 9

Posted

Interesting options later next week...stop it big yin, here and now...

Still felt cold this morning and not as taps aff as i expected,  slightly milder feel early afternoon. Now temp 5c, td 3c here, temp dropping 0.5c/hrs. Light breeze swinging more NNW. Ground still clinging on to a bit of frost. Birds fed.

• Like 6

Posted

Well the new temporary fence to keep the dog from jumping over the wall is up!! Morning was rather pleasant with a gentle breeze and felt rather mild working away, but boy has it got chilly in the last hour or so. Fire on and a coffee to heat up. Couple of drizzly showers this afternoon too, but looks like we might get a few ❄️ showers later tonight just to get the excitement juices flowing for Monday 🥳🥳🥳🥳

Edited by jon_d1983
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Not sure if worth anything but both ICON and GFS 12z runs this afternoon keep the colder upper temperature holding on longer at end of week (Friday/Saturday) compared to earlier runs. 

• Like 6

Posted

One of those in between cod spells sort of days. Quite a bit of retained snow above 2000feet on the hills.  Dreich dull damp with a maximum temperature of 6c which is not cold neither is it mild  able to fall easily to freezing  when cooler air arrives. Delivering lots of hay to horses this afternoon.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Warmer today here too with the frost slowly lifting but not gone completely and hard underneath. Briefly reached 5C and now back to 3.5C with a light northerly breeze.

• Like 8

Posted

Lovely evening in the south west tonight, cold, crisp with a nice pink sunset. Noticeably lighter too now which has cheered my spirits before the Atlantic enslaught in a week or so.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Looking forward to the cold weather over the coming week. Very hard to forecast where any snow will fall, I think it will be a matter of looking at the radar as anything can pop up at the last minute out of nowhere in these situations. It certainly looks like the north west will get a good amount of snow but fingers crossed we all see something decent over the coming days before the Atlantic fires up. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Cold raw wind as dusk slinks in with temps slowly sinking down to 3.3C with light drizzle plus odd burst of rain.  Winds slowly freshening from the NW.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just dropped below 5C now after a pretty crappy dreich afternoon. I doubt we'll see 5C again for a few days, good riddance for now.

• Like 7