Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish weather discussion - Spring 2023/24

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
13 minutes ago, jon_d1983 said:

Not holding my breath but this could make the Commute home interesting if it happens! 

IMG_5641.png

I'm hoping I get the call from the garage in Insch that my car MOT is done earlier rather than later the day!

I thought it was all about the central belt today, but then that front is heading slowly but steadily in this direction. Fingers crossed it at least reaches Glenshee / the Lecht to give them a decent dumping.

Edited by Scottish-Irish Skier
  • Like 9

Posted

The councils relaxed approached to gritting has continued today. Westhill Starbucks drive through was shut because of 3 inches of snow 🙄.

20240116_094339.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

We ended up with a few flakes, not even enough to call a dusting but better than nothing. 

• Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scottish-Irish Skier said:

I'm hoping I get the call from the garage in Insch that my car MOT is done earlier rather than later the day!

I thought it was all about the central belt today, but then that front is heading slowly but steadily in this direction. Fingers crossed it at least reaches Glenshee / the Lecht to give them a decent dumping.

Glenshee looking wind scowered on cams this morning so defo needs it!!! 

email in from the boys swimming lesson saying cancelled tonight with the snow forecast for later so likely be bone dry now 😆

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
14 minutes ago, Bats32 said:

Weather warnings lately seem off to me locally. We've had periods of wind this year and the bins have been all over the street and had no warnings but had warnings and there's been very little wind.  I generally use forecasts as a broad brush and radar/looking out of my window as nowcasting!

Which is a bloody disgrace considering the amount of money spent on the MET

• Like 7

Posted
16 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

They are not worth looking at these days. Currently mine shows 90% chance of heavy snow for right now. Utter mince.

Yeah the met office app is a complete waste of time it’s rarely correct 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5

Posted

On the app there is a little drop down that says how accurate is the forecast….i was informed a while ago that this is fed back into the matrix to help its learn…could be bollo**s though!! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Not the first time this winter that weather warnings have been spectacularly wrong. becoming quite difficult to have faith in the system now. 

My work place has started putting a lot investment into weather forecasting and even it has been quite hit and miss at times too. Maybe there’s an issue with the models, or interpretation of the models perhaps? Definitely lacking the accuracy that people would expect.

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, jon_d1983 said:

On the app there is a little drop down that says how accurate is the forecast….i was informed a while ago that this is fed back into the matrix to help its learn…could be bollo**s though!! 

I've given my feedback. Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, jon_d1983 said:

Where abouts as can't see it?

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, johncam said:

Where abouts as can't see it?

Click on your location and should be middle of screen 

IMG_5642.png

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted

More runs needed 😂! What’s strange is there hardly a shower getting through the central belt just keeps fizzling out. We were in the hot heat for a good event to. Looks like a non starter. 

• Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, Big Gally said:

More runs needed 😂! What’s strange is there hardly a shower getting through the central belt just keeps fizzling out. We were in the hot heat for a good event to. Looks like a non starter. 

I think they will start to make it in soon. Quite interesting watching the radar with some light showers moving north east between the two bands. I would still hope that there will be more shower activity making it in during the afternoon... On the positive side, at least we didn't get the rain/sleet/snow mix that is over Northern Ireland as that would have been more annoying! 

• Like 5

Posted

7 minutes ago, Ross B said:

I think they will start to make it in soon. Quite interesting watching the radar with some light showers moving north east between the two bands. I would still hope that there will be more shower activity making it in during the afternoon... On the positive side, at least we didn't get the rain/sleet/snow mix that is over Northern Ireland as that would have been more annoying! 

Exactly! Beats the sleety pish. Hopefully it drops further south as it moves through. I’ll take a grain now! I aimed to high last night. Nearly 6 inches lol. 

Edited by Big Gally
  • Like 5

Posted
17 minutes ago, jon_d1983 said:

Click on your location and should be middle of screen 

IMG_5642.png

Cheers 

• Like 3

Posted

Just watched the bbc and met office morning weather reports 😂 still had the snow coming in way north on the report 

• Like 3

Posted

Also I do not believe the band in the north west will sink much more south I think it will head east and Stirling south will stay out the way 

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, aggy said:

Also I do not believe the band in the north west will sink much more south I think it will head east and Stirling south will stay out the way 

Looking like that if you watch it on radar , probably get a little as low gets east of us and precipitation sinks south , another dusting perhaps 

11 minutes ago, aggy said:

Just watched the bbc and met office morning weather reports 😂 still had the snow coming in way north on the report 

They really do need to get better at this, thats a bloody joke 

• Like 3