Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish weather discussion - Spring 2023/24

Norrance

Posted

With the continuing warmth, here's date maxima for February first ten days:

1st   Gordon Castle   14.9   1889,          2nd   Achnagart   15.0   2004,          3rd   Banff Gold Club   17.0   2004,          4th   Inchmarlo   15.8   2000,                           5th   Rothes   15.5   1990,          6th   Leith Hall   15.6   1889,          7th   Inchmarlo   16.1   1993,          8th   Achfary   15.0   2008,          9th   Mannofield   15.0   1962,          10th   Craibstone   16.1   1939

Thanks to Starlings Roost Weather for data.       Dyce had an hourly temp of 14.7 today, so may just have taken the 2nd?

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

Posted

After a glorious start to the day with unbroken sunshine and a gentle warm breeze the wind got up quite a bit in the afternoon. It was still easily warm enough to be planting trees in short sleeves though and the pickup was still reading 14c when I nipped out at 1830 - quite impressive for the 2nd of Feb! 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
50 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

I’m really surprised there are no warnings for the current wind storm, the gusts are easy 50/60mph here right now 

<scratches head>

Where's the Met Office based, again?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Another desperate day up hill howling severe gales which have been constant for seems days, mild though but severe gusts had me over once. Oh for a week nay month of frost and calm conditions

• Like 6

Posted

Another very windy day.   Sunny and  mild but humid so not a lot of drying going on. Same sentiments  as above frosty calm dry weather would be very welcome. Was up to 12 c in the afternoon.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Very mild today, 12C this evening. Happy if winter returns for us next week as the charts suggest. I do like spring......when its spring. Not seen any snow here in the Borders so far this winter but I think we will by months end and possiby even by week end. Thanks for all the pics from Kilties who got some snow and thanks to you for making a deprived coldie remember why I love snowfall so much!. Some beautiful pics. Its the 2nd of Feb and euphemisim aside plenty time for us snow lovers still to wax the sledge.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Will just place this here.

NEWS.STV.TV

The real nosedive will come on Tuesday and into Wednesday with temperatures going from around 12C to 5C.

• Like 8

Posted

What a contrast to the hint of spring yesterday.

This time yesterday enjoying a sunny lunch outside and 13.6c (sheltered from wind...).

Not a chance today, a Baltic feeling 6.4c thanks to a strong and gusty westerly wind; much cloudier as well.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Quinach’s taste of spring must have pushed South overnight as today certainly felt springlike in the sunshine. A high of 9.4c but with not much of a wind it was pleasant. Felt like it was 4 weeks later

Fingers crossed for another cold spell!

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Sunshine and showers today 

47795502-0A11-464E-B428-FA081E6CA4D8.thumb.jpeg.49741a6931979386da022527bbac4c30.jpeg

C6D9A751-FDF7-4D16-BC0C-48A599D0DD84.thumb.jpeg.1f15db1626ddddf04551f98e6d265c22.jpeg

I am hoping to see some snow on Thursday, if not I am sure the Highlands will do well again and I might have to take a wee road trip next weekend if that’s the case 😊

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looks great but with winds from the east it'll be a sleety mess at best here! Met Office currently showing just rain for the same period! 

Screenshot_20240203-140213.thumb.png.f954fcb32b7f4332fd59ab1b14a1b849.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Uppers not low enough... Warmth of the sea.... 101s negativity 😝

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Can’t understand why the mod thread are banging on about snow. It looks marginal. Best place further north. Here in glasgow looks like a sleety / rain affair.  Down south think a snow machine is on route.  Mabey higher elevation but doesn’t look like it in low lying areas. 

Edited by Big Gally
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Big Gally yep got to agree , need a bit of high ground to have it settle and last through the day 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Nice sunny spring-like day with a biting cold wind. Got the first official washing-dried-ootside-day of the winter 🥳

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

They seemed to have cheered up in the mad house, the direction of travel is certainly to a cold outcome the 1st attempt looks good for altitude and inland,the 2nd attempt if the block establishes to the nw looks much more potent and long lasting. Might nip out and get some salt tomorrow 😉

Edited by drm
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Scottish-Irish Skierwe seem to be getting some  good model agreement between the ECM and Gfs about the week after just not this one coming up 😂but blocking is looming large ahead 😁

• Like 2