Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - May 2024

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Pretty much a bust here. Saw some flashes and rumbles but it went either side of me by quite a margin 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain

Must admit the storm seemed to of gotten stronger heading home around 3.30am

Biblical rain & the noise was something else.

No photos this time tho, even hanging out my boot I couldn’t shield from the rain. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Alderc 2.0 I got one rumble and some flashes, recorded 12mm of rain. Glad I went to sleep about half 11 in the end! 

• Like 3

Posted

A 7hr round trip and i'm finally back home after having a scenic tour of the Chilterns from Bicester, Oxford, and Benson. There was some close strikes at times during the early morning hours at 4am but the convective line frustratingly refused to move anymore northwards and I wasn't up for heading further south knowing it would take longer getting back. So with the twilight chorus and skies getting lighter I called it a night and headed back along the never-ending M40. 

Here's hoping early morning Friday delivers for the East and North Midlands

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.
Posted (edited)

Wow. Do we have a total strike count yet please, @Jo Farrow? I have just counted 63 visible flashes in the 93 second video I posted last night!

Edited by Summer tyre

Posted

Went to bed not expecting much as the storms over France seemed to be making a beeline for the south east. How wrong I was!

I was woken up at 3:45am to the thunder approaching from the southeast and by 4am, it had tripped my power. Really good storm though, 3/4 strikes a minute and lots of rain. Had visibility on it for around 45 mins before I went back to bed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

I think it is the 8718 in 24 hours/this month

3647 today, 2nd May

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain

ChannelThunder That is quite something considering your really not that far from me (at the time I was miles away) but my Brothers partner said it’s the biggest one she’s sat & listened too - they are Portsmouth. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Lu. Yeah, in the end I was right to say (about 24 hours ago) that I thought I'd be on the edge of things and likely just have the rain!

Gotta say, this was a big 'win' for the UKV model. It was close to the mark with this on many runs. Even as far back as Saturday it showed this event affecting the southeast, whereas the Euro wanted to send it up the North Sea!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
Posted (edited)

Woken up at 2am with a bang. Looked out the window and saw the rooftops/trees lighting up reflecting lightning but couldn't see the actual lightning although it was incredibly frequent, like every few seconds but curiously there weren't many rumbles after that and the ones that I did hear were not that loud and I could hear it moving away slowly after that getting quieter. No rain either. Then about 5am we had some more but again the same kind of distant lightning that you can't see the source. My guess was that the storms just skimmed us and looking on the radar images indeed that was the case. Still, nice to get off the ground properly with a night time storm - especially so early in the season. I just hope the next one comes a bit closer! Incredible night for some looking in the thread though. Now, when's the next event? 😁

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 4

Posted
Posted (edited)

This early morning's efforts from the phone 😄 at least two before the low-cloud and murk rolled in just as things were getting interesting. Under those clear skies above it was constant flickering for a time, especially noticeable when averting my vision just off-center. There was also a Sprite seen visually between some ACCAS which caught me off guard but just for seeing that alone the trip was worth it. The whole thing happened quicker than my brain could register what I was looking (like electric finger-ripples shooting upwards) and then it was gone, followed by a positive CG strike that lit the whole part of that sky.

PXL_20240501_233541888.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.c420808600d0184f3f7eae931bc56d92.jpgPXL_20240501_235520332.thumb.jpg.260f91cc817066e7b31e26b6f7103807.jpg

Edited by weatherobsuk
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Great pics and videos ! Nice to see storm season kicking off early! We have had nearly 24 hours of constant rain here in south wales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Eagle Eye That was most of my experience last night as well. Mostly silent storm!

• Like 3

Posted
Posted (edited)

Eagle Eye well done Eagle. See you for the next one, which will affect both Kent and IOW a bit more 😉

(Positive thinking)

Edited by ChannelThunder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Rush2019  I'm tempted to head out for tomorrow morning's potential 🫠 but it depends on timings as I wouldn't want to be going as far as Newark-on-Trent if the sun is already up by the time any potential cells get there. Off to catch up on some well deserved sleep, dream of motorways, and see what the afternoon/evening models are predicting for later on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
Posted (edited)

Southern Storm  

Great shot

Was this in Elmer West Sussex? A house got stuck there. 

NEWS.SKY.COM

Overnight a care home in West Sussex was hit by a lightning strike and a university building in Chichester sustained damage to its roof and power system.

Edited by Sprites
  • Like 2

Posted

Went to bed around 1am with some potent little storms trundling their way east to west up the Estuary.

Then the next thing it was around 3.30-4am and the real show started with frequent lightning, though we didn’t get any close boomers that can force their way into your chest as you lie there.

Of real note however was the noise and intensity of the rain. Thank goodness that did not last too long, it felt like it would do damage and I will be checking the loft later for starters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

We did have lightning here in Ashford, quite frequent too but I didn't do any recording as it was just flashes with no thunder and didn't see any actual bolts

• Like 1