Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - May 2024

Posted

Windblade  Eagle EyeAlso like you, I had continuously lightning flashing silently. Only a little faint thunder around 1am and no rain. I won't complain about a dry night after the recent wet weather waterlogging my garden though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Sprites Thanks, I was located at Portsdown hill, overlooking Portsmouth so I don't think they are related. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning all. 😊

Well although I was well out of the area for last nights fun and games, this morning whilst walking the dog at 05:00 it had a feeling of ‘the morning after a storm’!

Anywhooo… I see that the U.K. Meto have just issued a yellow thunderstorm warning for today… And slightly further north! 

As always… Good luck to everyone with this today, and let’s hope it’s the start of a good thundery season. 🌩️⛈️😁🤞🏻👍🏻

IMG_2050.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Our very own @Southern Storm has made both the BBC homepage and their news front page too! Congratulations dude!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Looking ahead, possibly a few rumbles into the south coast at the weekend. UKMO keen to move the low from the SW out more quickly, but could be storms Saturday night associated with that. Meanwhile the ECM stalls the low and keeps a risk going into Sunday evening.

Posted

weatherobsuk Ah shame you didn't venture a few miles East of Benson to either Cholsey hill or Kingstanding hill as they're the highest points round here. We really got going after 4with a light show before the thunder and rain arrived. Round 2 arrived about 6am with one of the loudest bangs I've ever heard- turns out a house in Wallingford was hit and badly damaged. Luckily nobody got hurt!

• Like 1

Posted

I woke up around 1am and looked out the window to see a flash lighting up the clouds every second or so - very frequent, but couldn't see where it may have been focused. No thunder heard but there was a consistent strong breeze. I woke up again later and the sky was still flashing away! I wish I had the health to get put of bed to take a proper look, but I expect from the radar a lot of lightning was from storms initiated nearby and intensified as they drifted west. A great start to the new month, and probably even more so for a number of you! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

James175 1:30AM mate, The first cell was dying as it headed West from around Margate, but it recycled and picked up, There wasn't a single rumble of thunder though, the second lot hit after 3A.M and I slept through that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Tornados and Windstsorms.

When I was asleep around 2.24 AM and again at 3.24 AM. I had saw the flash outside which created some rumbling. It has a gap after the first impact before the second one takes place.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Couple of sferics in a small cell north of ludlow in the Midlands.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

What an early morning experience. I was awake for the storm as it came near by and then directly overhead. Then never in my life, at around 5:30am, have I witnessed thunder so loud and rumbly that it not only shook the house (making it creak), shook the furniture, shook my insides, but you could also 'feel' the air around violently rattle too.

That storm alone makes up for all the years I've missed out. Cheers for that, Mother Nature.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Rush2019 Morning @Rush2019😊

Yeah… I know exactly what you mean… But certainly with regards to storms since 2019, just outside the warning area means that we’ve probably got a good chance. 😁

Fingers and everything else crossed! 🤞🏻 😁🌩️⛈️

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, ChannelThunder said:

Our very own @Southern Storm has made both the BBC homepage and their news front page too! Congratulations dude!

And according to the BBC @Southern Storm you are now officially an "Onlooker"!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Good storms. Elevated - only saw about 4 forks out of about probably 2000 flashes over 3 hours. Essentially it was backbuilding over our area.

7/10 I think - not exceptional and hampered by heavy rain. Not being able to see the lightning directly was a little bit frustrating but the intensity of it was pretty impressive

When’s the next one? 😃

• Like 1

Posted

A cell has popped up near Norwich, I am hoping I am in for a shout today. Had one thunderstorm this year in a form of a squall line in April which was cool but nothing like some here have experienced last night.

• Like 2

Posted

Any actual indications of storms in Cheshire today? Wanted to go for a picnic but don't know if its worth the risk. Pretty much everytime there is a storm warning up here it's a beautiful sunny day all day and thats been exactly the same so far today so I've learnt by now that a storm warning means the opposite...but you can gaurentee the day I ignore it will be the day they get it right. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, hail, lightning

I popped down to Box hill after work last night and observed about 7000000 flashes. Got some good wind gusts and hail.  Like Flash Bang etc only witnessed 4 bolts, three of which were seen whilst I was driving.  No complaints, I was just a little late to the party.

• Like 1

Posted

Rush2019 im just up the road from Macc, heading out for a picnic with the missus. Talks of possible storms later but usually that means the opposite will happen. No signs of instability that I can see so far, although it's very humid

• Like 3