Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just checking the charts, I think we’ll be good for a few hours of snow, even on the immediate coast. The uppers are conductive to wintryness until around 2/3pm, where they do creep into positive digits. 

Surface temps & intensity are key here to lying snow rather than uppers. Good old battleground. It’s been a while. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

This of a certain social media website 😂

IMG_1788.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

Early March last year, and so many SE’ly frontal events previously….I know what to expect.  Falling snow, never too heavy and not settling.  

Normally just a couple of miles away, and 100m uphill, at 250m around Edenfield for example, there’s a good covering.  Annoying, but it’s so close I can do a nice run up there and enjoy the contrasts.

Thats the SE’ly Manchester snow shield for you!!! Will see whether this event bucks the trend or not.  More southerly or more easterly changes the dynamics, and stronger frontal uplift can help too…it’s the hope that gets me everytime!!!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Maz same with me but I've reined that in now. I really don't get hopeful when the shadow is forecast. It does save a lot of disappointment!

• Like 8

Posted

Tomorrow set to be a sunny cold day for the region. May be the only bit of sun we see all week, Thursday onwards looking very dull and overcast. 

• Like 8

Posted

2c looking good day tomorrow… some sunshine ☀️ to get out in garden doing jobs… monthly garage haircuts tomorrow (only been 6 weeks) 

quick walk into town to shops… might put bins out tomorrow night… might be a bit snowy/slushy to drag bins out Thursday evening… 

think it’s a bit nowcast for Thursday/Friday morning… let’s see how this pans out 👌👍🤞❄️❄️❄️❄️

• Like 6

Posted

Maz once in a taxi ( prob 2005 ish)  from Bury back to a mates in Haslingden when at Uni in Manchester. We got to edenfield and taxi man said no chance not going any further…..went from Nothing to blizzard in space of a few miles.  All about the topography 

• Like 2

Posted

Thursday could be very snowy in the eastern lakeland fells, some hefty totals may amount, and persist well into Friday. It has been a poor season for snow cover on the fells this year so far, only two heavy falls in early Dec and mid Jan, both washed away far too quickly. Probably will be the same case again. 

Will be interesting to see if the met change warning tomorrow, I think they will extend the risk area into southern and eastern Scotland and amend timings for there to include much of Friday. I doubt an amber will be issued until very near timescale possibly as late as very early Thursday when it will be clearer how heavy the precipitation is likely to be, and its track. If there is, expect it to cover Pennine areas only. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 7

Posted

Thunder Snow Much of Cumbria away from the coast should see some snow falling at some stage, but it may be fairly light away from eastern high ground.. but could also pep up in situ .. the further west in the county the less snow likely. Obviously higher ground will hold snow longest, for much of Thursday and into Friday morning conditions look set to be just right side of marginal for snow at very low levels in Cumbria. Will be a radar watch and looking outside job. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Thunder Snow Ah indeed, I'm quietly optimistic for at least a cover of snow on Thursday whether it be 1cm, 1 inch or 1 foot.. well probably not the latter, but who knows!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

The Northern Ramper

Weather the week ahead on Countryfile 

For Farmers.

As it was always announced.

I used to tape it. Yes tape it VHS and all that. Fast forward to see the Synoptics for any outings. It was either this or ring up the Weatherline. Bonkers. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

No change on the models this morning,the Gem perhaps the pick of the bunch with up to 11hrs of snow before clearing from the south,have to say the Meto text forecast is absolutely garbage.

GFS as per last night

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

cheshire snow Yes, the metoffice text forecast is less than inspiring for tomorrow, makes it sound like the possibility of rain turning to sleet or snow at times. Are they having a last minute wobble? Models still look ok.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

severe snowstorm models are all fine,the wording on the text forecasts are often way off the mark.if you look at the one for the midlands it says snow in the north of there region I know @Weather-historygets really annoyed with there written texts,no concerns from me this morning all looks good for a period of snow lasting into mid afternoon.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Iceaxecrampon aye the bad old days when you had to work hard to get your weather fix😂

how did we manage😂

• Like 6

Posted

Manchester METAR goes for snow

Temporary
from 08 at 06 UTC to 08 at 12 UTC

Visibility: 3000 m

Broken clouds at a height of 600 ft

snow,

Liverpool goes for rain, snow

Temporary
from 08 at 05 UTC to 08 at 06 UTC

Visibility: 4000 m

Broken clouds at a height of 600 ft

rain, snow,

• Like 7

Posted

Funny how weather can play out at times. We could have a snowy breakdown to a virtually nothing here today gone tomorrow "cold" snap, when there have been numerous occasions where more potent prolong cold spells have gone out without  bang.

• Like 6

• Bank Holiday weekend weather - a mixed picture

It's a mixed picture for the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend. at times, sunshine and warmth with little wind. However, thicker cloud in the north will bring rain and showers. Also rain by Sunday for Cornwall. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-02 07:37:13 Valid: 02/05/2024 0900 - 03/04/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F

Risk of thunderstorms overnight with lightning and hail

Northern France has warnings for thunderstorms for the start of May. With favourable ingredients of warm moist air, high CAPE and a warm front, southern Britain could see storms, hail and lightning. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow