Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

One word to describe the weather here - Filthy.

• Like 6

Posted

Morning all, 9 days into April now and each day it has rained at some point.  A bit blowy, pouring down and 6.9°C, no sign of putting any winter clothing away yet, perpetual autumn.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

tricol wheres your office?

I'll be up in Higginshaw this evening taking my son to the Terence O'Grady club.

• Like 4

Posted

Lashing rain on back windows from NNW this morning.  17.3 mm for the last 24hrs.  Simply appalling -- how can farmers and other outdoor workers make progess with spring jobs in these conditions?  Feeling colder too -- currently 6.1C.  Sunless of course.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.

Had Worse Just off Ripponden Road. Rain is really coming down now. Our garden at home is now completely under water, and to be honest it's been like this since December. The builder is coming to look at it in a couple of weeks, many houses on the estate are suffering from waterlogging. I'm not confident of getting a resolution from them, so might have to sort out our own proper drainage this summer. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.
6 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

Simply appalling -- how can farmers and other outdoor workers make progess with spring jobs in these conditions

That's what many people don't see or consider. It's been an awful winter and spring so far for farmers. We then turn to imports, and prices going up.

As above, we can't even stand in our garden let alone even cut the grass. 

With another headline in the news of the 10th hottest month again, we're well beyond the turning point now. Let's hope the demise of the El Nino system cools things down a bit.

• Like 5

Posted

An awful lot more to come.  A big plume of wetness on the way.

EARTH.NULLSCHOOL.NET

See current wind, weather, ocean, and pollution conditions, as forecast by supercomputers, on an interactive animated map. Updated every three hours.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
10 minutes ago, tricol said:

With another headline in the news of the 10th hottest month again, we're well beyond the turning point now.

Another load of baloney.  It seems to me that the media can spin and spin mis- information, lies and deceit and not have any repurcusions for their actions. I for one have been listening to their Scaremongering for many years, if I would have had been brainwashed, by their BxxxSxxt over the years I would have slit my throat. ...😟

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Absolutely foul day if it wasn’t for the hint of blossom you would think it was November! 💨 ☔️ Today & tomorrow look like washouts, milder hopefully drier weather to end the week. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Methuselah  And...........?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Coming up on 20 mm since midnight now. 69 mm for the month.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 5

Posted

A bit surprised that the current yellow weather warning within the Region is for wind rather than rain. Patio and back garden are waterlogged again and rain since 7am has been relentless and often heavy.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just going by the amount of sun I remember seeing this month I think we're down at somewhere near 5 hours.

WRF forecast this rain well... I thought it was joking when I saw the precip rates on it.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Rush2019 I was expecting to make a Spring visit to the region but going by all reports think will have to delay. The figures for the past 9 months are really depressing , not only in the NW but across much of The British Isles. Is there a beacon of hope on the horizon ? Looking at the models , not much . I hate cold winds in Spring. My farmer friend up in Skipton tells me he has never seen the ground as saturated in all the many decades of his farming life. Just no sun. He cannot send his cattle out as they will just get bogged down and Lambs desperate for some warm sunshine on their backs.  Conversely, over here in The Austrian Alps , we have JUST experienced the hottest first week of April in History with an abundance of spring 🌞. However, we have been warned of an impending cool spell next week with chill winds and snow above 1000m.

C

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Garden flooding again. Been here 20 years and it has never happened.  

This year its twice already. 

Also the view from the other side of the fence .

20240409_121519.jpg

IMG-20240409-WA0004.jpg

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 7

Posted

carinthian   Hi Carinthian, yes , in the words of @Iceaxecrampon it's dreich, it is very uninviting here at the moment, any bouts of dryness or sunshine are extremely short lived.  I think we are under another named storm Pierrick, gusty winds, high tides.........  Maybe best to postpone a visit for now, but when you do come, bring the sun too.  😁😁🌞

• Like 5

Posted

Vile gale and rain.    Large tree branches bending.     Just had a phone call from a friend in Preston and she hadn't noticed weather was bad today.   🙁

• Like 6

Posted

Rush2019 Was hoping to get to watch a few matches at the Moss Rose. Do you think they will get promoted again ? It looks like a few teams in with a chance. However, nice to see the support of Macc FC. The past few years has produced some nice weather at this time of the year in the NW but going by your reports on the site best stay away. I am a bit of a coward regarding wet and dullness ! Think , I will stay put for a bit longer.

C

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

On a dog walk yesterday and I’ve never seen the ground so saturated. Large pools of water just sat atop submerged grass.

This isn’t even one of the worst affected places by rainfall over the last 9 months or so.

• Like 6

Posted

Cheshire Freeze I do have some nice memories of playing cricket in the Cheshire/ N Staffs in spring when it was reasonably dry , sunny and warm . Going back a few decade though ! See March just gone the warmest globally on record. I am just wondering whether the UK is heading for one of the wettest past 9 months on record .

C

• Like 8

Posted
9 minutes ago, carinthian said:

I am just wondering whether the UK is heading for one of the wettest past 9 months on record

We just had the wettest 18 months on record, beating the previous record that was the 18 months to the end of February.

NEWS.SKY.COM

England saw the highest level of rainfall over any 18-month period since Met Office data began back in 1836.

• Like 6

Posted

Oh my God the Sun's come out!

25.9 mm since midnight

• Like 6

• Bank Holiday weekend weather - a mixed picture

It's a mixed picture for the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend. at times, sunshine and warmth with little wind. However, thicker cloud in the north will bring rain and showers. Also rain by Sunday for Cornwall. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-02 07:37:13 Valid: 02/05/2024 0900 - 03/04/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F

Risk of thunderstorms overnight with lightning and hail

Northern France has warnings for thunderstorms for the start of May. With favourable ingredients of warm moist air, high CAPE and a warm front, southern Britain could see storms, hail and lightning. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow