Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
Posted (edited)

Expected this morning to be quite grey and the forecast is for showers, bone dry so far, high level cloud and sun trying to burst through and a temp of 15.7 degrees already, mmm have the forecasters got today right? Not complaining.. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 6

Posted

Yellow weather warnings for thunderstorms have quietly disappeared. Our friends in Yorkshire & Humberside are reporting rumbles of thunder off the East coast. And folk in London & the South East on the Storms thread are still catching up on their sleep after Wednesday night. In other words, not a lot is happening at the moment. Am I being premature in suggesting that nothing much will happen for the rest of the day? 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
Posted (edited)

There is a cluster of storms between Hull and Scarborough. If they survive far enough west they could affect the north of the region but for the south of the region expect it to stay dry now. Certainly WRF doesn't want any precip and has a little bit warmer than it was before. it should end up being a reasonable day in the south at least. 
edit: just noticed it does show rain for late this evening though.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 5

Posted
Posted (edited)

Chris.R May be some homegrown convective activity this afternoon, the warm uppers will aid instability.. could be a few very localised downpours, has that feel about things.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Still the occasional strike over the north York moors. Would've been good on the NYMR today. Not sure there'll be anything left by the time it reaches the north of our region. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
Posted (edited)

WillinGlossop I wouldn't worry too much I have this sometimes going back years saying I've been on the other side of Manchester. It did worry me at first so I know what you mean but I've never *touch wood* had anything taken from my bank accounts or anything. Usually it's something to do with a server. I used to work for a web hosting company and whilst not a technician there and I don't know the specifics in their entirety I did get told that we had servers in different parts of the country so if you logged in from one that was ordinarily closer to your location it wouldn't be weird and cause no concerns but sometimes they can re route elsewhere miles away due to capacity on your normal one closer to home and other tech issues. Onto the weather what a difference today slate grey skies and dry up to now and much cooler.

Edited by Dark Horse
  • Like 5

Posted

Dry leaving Withington 30 mins ago.  Horrible, dark misty and raining here in Macc.

• Like 5

Posted

For reference, here is the text forecast for today.

Headline:

Cloudy and wet with the odd rumble of thunder possible.

Today:

A mostly cloudy day. Turning increasingly wet with scattered showers in the morning, giving way to some more persistent rain in the afternoon. Some of the rain could be heavy with rumbles of thunder possible. Feeling cooler under cloudier skies. Maximum temperature 15 °C.

either completely wrong or just delayed.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A couple of light showers earlier this morning and pretty murky throughout the day with little sunshine but the forecasted heavier rain has held off so far.

I’ll take cloudy and dry over the next few days if that’s the best thing that is on offer.

• Like 6

Posted

Large mass of heavy convective rain over the borders right now, then a wedge of nothing through NE England, Cumbria and far northnof yorkshire, then another dollop of rain over west and south yorkshire and south pennines. Further south appears to be a frontal feature. Wasn't the front supposed to be further north and those convective showers over the border further south. Seems the weather has fooled the computers today. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Dry up to now  and pretty mild though becoming increasingly dull ,can’t imagine rains that far away 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

11.7c this drizzle rain should clear at around 5pm hopefully be the last of it.. least if there is no sun just be cloudy without rain 🙂

• Like 7

Posted
Posted (edited)

Not often Cumbria is England warm spot but that's the case today, 18.2 degrees, Keswick. Bit of a fohn effect, but confused as weather icons show a SW wind??? Its stayed dry so far here, a far better day up to now than forecast. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 7

Posted

Raining now and feeling chilly 12.3C.

• Like 7

Posted

Oban basking in 24 c temperatures while Londons on 12 c 😂

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Dry, but cloudy here today until around an hour ago, now got steady rain. A noticeably cooler feel compared to yesterday with all the cloud cover, reached 12.5C.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Scuba steve makes a nice change.

doubt the tv camera’s will be showing hundreds of workers streaming out of the Oban offices and sat having lunch in shirt sleeves in the nearest park😂

unless they’re all still working from home of course😂

• Like 7

Posted

Mrs FLT got soaked by a sudden and heavy shower whilst on a trip out near St Helen's today. Back in Crewe, we've had drizzle all afternoon, not heavy but a real nuisance and so dark and gloomy as well.

• Like 6

Posted

Rain not stopped since it started.😅  Didn't seem to get properly light, like a grey February day, temp did reach 13° C.  Talk of a frost for down the south east this weekend, can't  help thinking perhaps I should have refrained from putting my bedding plants in just yet. 🫤

• Like 6

Posted

Dark Horse cheers thank you 🤩 just thought it was a bit odd 😵‍💫

just had first bbq of 2024… cooked in garage on bbq with doors open… ate inside as drizzly rubbish out… after predictions of 30mm a few days ago we’ve had 0.8mm of drizzle… 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

day where lower clouds moving W to E, and higher clouds moving E to W, may notice it on weather history's timelapse if of course same in Irlam

• Like 5

Posted

Noticed some strong echoes coming in from the east which may produce some heavy PPN  and dare I say it lightning 😂

• Like 5

Posted
Posted (edited)

Scuba steve  You'd better not say it too loud, it doesn't like it.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 5