Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted

Fun event while it lasted - we ended up with alot more snow than expected but the thaw was already beginning by 3pm. Shame it was so short lived.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Snow has surprisingly survived. 

Tally for the winter so far is now 5 events, 8 days of lying snow. 

Maximum depth was this event at 7cm.

Posted

Finally stopped raining here, issues with surface water flooding locally, not sure what rainfall totals are for this area, but it rained for 24 hours, and even if its only 1-2mm an hour that still quite a big total. Problem is MetO figures reset at 9pm, and so 24hr total will be split over 2 days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I didn't post in here yesterday, but it snowed for a good 4-5 hours here in downhill Lincoln yesterday, but not much of it settled - I had around 60% cover of slushy snow which melted by mid-afternoon. It was clear that it settled far more readily in uphill Lincoln - I can see to the west of the Cathedral from my north-facing windows and the roof tops around there were white from around 11am to 4pm. It was a similar story on 9-10 March 2023. I'm guessing that these sort of marginal frontal setups would have delivered a full snow cover to downhill Lincoln as well until about 10-20 years ago. Still, I got more than I expected, as I thought there was a chance of it just being sleety here.

I can relate to Reef's frustrations, I certainly disliked these setups when I was living up in Cleadon in Tyne and Wear in the 1990s and 2000s, invariably it would be grey, raw and sleety there while Newcastle would have a wet slushy dusting and Durham would have a dumping of snow - although in today's warmer climate these setups sometimes fail to deliver much even in Durham.

My parents up in Knaresborough had a few centimetres from this event although it struggled to settle on concrete surfaces - all gone by dawn this morning though.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Thanks to you all for your help and hospitality yesterday in Sheffield.

The ABC concert was brilliant, and we came out to more torrential rain, (sleet at Woodall Services), which continued all the way back to Northants....along with thick fog in Leicestershire. The worst driving conditions I have ever experienced, M1 was full of lakes, off the motorway slush and larger lakes appeared. On the A5 down here, it was quite dangerous, and maybe should have been closed. Got back not long after midnight.

• Like 3

Posted

I think areas of Sheffield and Harrogate (especially in higher ground) were in the prime/sweet spot yesterday. We reached around 15cm last night and we still have spots of snow after many hours of rain. It's not the first time Harrogate gets a decent amount of snow as it seems some systems continously feed the area with ppn either stalling or pivoting. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

summer blizzard  Only three days here with Snow lying and only four days with snow falling and one of those was just a few flakes falling from the sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

mike57 We recorded 38mm up to 06:45 this morning and there's been more today probably another 5mm to 7mm.

Posted

28.2 mm here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

A foggy start and 4 ° C as I type.
I miss the sunshine!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

A lovely afternoon on my part of the Wolds, pleasant sunshine and barely a breeze, nice to be outside pottering about for a change 🪚🪓

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

A misty chilly day and only 4c at Castle Howard.  The sun tried briefly to show itself but failed.

More rain forecast for tonight onto already sodden ground is going to continue to cause issues and then a drier start to next week with average temps before more rain and less cold from the middle of the week.

IMG_9669.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

That looks like  alot of rain to fall early evening onwards. Not looking good with ground already sodden.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Just stuck my swede out door before climbing the stairs and its teeming it down, a mild evening and not a breath of wind, really don't need anymore rain tho...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Not going to be a pretty picture out there in the morning, rain is absolutely lashing down and rivers and becks are rapidly rising 

• Like 1

Posted

Still raining hard when I went out to grab the ash bucket at 6am. Given that some of the surface water flooding from Thursday still hadn't drained away yesterday all the usual trouble spots will be bad this morning.

• Like 1

Posted

53.0mm here in the last 4 days meaning an 8th consecutive wetter than average month just 11 days in.

Flooding everywhere too. I imagine it's grim just to the North of here around the River Hull. Areas there have been under water over 2 months now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

Flooding everywhere too.

A165 is closed due to flooding around Bessingby, near Bridlington, there were still large pools of water yesterday morning when we returned from Beverley and that was 24 hours after the last rain. I would imagine the River Derwent will be a concern as well.

• Like 1

Posted

20240211_124007.thumb.jpg.06b82fcd2da52ee5766a09c588f84e03.jpg

20240211_124336.thumb.jpg.a66235fe44a05e52dc7e4b1116a5fe13.jpg

Flooding again in Buckton, and the pond has doubled in size.

@A Face like Thunder I will be at the NYMR Friday, hoping for better weather

Edited by mike57
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Puppazo di Neve used to work at the old McDonald’s on briggate, always brings back good memories when I see the street. Nice video btw.

• Like 1

Posted

Unexpected Sleet/wet flakes in the rain this morning on the hills close to Sowerby Bridge. Only 2.5c about 1hr ago though! I'm sure today was supposed to be the good weather day?!