Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Still raining here 😂😂

Completely inexplicable day here given it's snowing all around me and lower down in places 🤣

Ah well, it's just the start of winter so hopefully many more snow chances to come if it's a good winter 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
48 minutes ago, Craigers said:

This is the reason why were getting snow. The air is locked in the cold pool before mixing out.

Screenshot_20231203_215611_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f0a03a548fb94ebde3092159e4457f1b.jpg

Still snowing here and getting heavier,temps and dew points the right side of marginal🙂

Temps.thumb.png.cb2fc82c9e39d811400f1b3e421632ef.png

Edit: easing off a bit now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Winter Cold said:

Still raining here 😂😂

Completely inexplicable day here given it's snowing all around me and lower down in places 🤣

Ah well, it's just the start of winter so hopefully many more snow chances to come if it's a good winter 

Very odd. Worked in my favour as I've had hours of snowfall at 100m. Very odd though. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Very odd. Worked in my favour as I've had hours of snowfall at 100m. Very odd though. 

Yes I just can't understand it really.

Only thing I've thought is that I'm East of Sheffield and South of Barnsley so I'm SE of most ppl posting today. It must be a finger of warmth higher up on this SE flank of the flow today

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Only thing I've thought is that I'm East of Sheffield and South of Barnsley so I'm SE of most ppl posting today. It must be a finger of warmth higher up on this SE flank of the flow today

That's a very good point but it's still flabbergasting isn't it? Just goes to show the ultra fine margins we have to endure in the UK. Crazy!

• Like 1

Posted

Has turned to fine ice pellets now. Temperature is fluctuating around -0.2/0.3c. Think I'll call it a night now. Have about 4cm on surfaces that experienced no melt since this morning. Will be interesting to see how much remains by morning

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
38 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

33 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

The answer is that this is the warm front (triple point is near Bristol) so it's just a simple matter of us being further north since the front has a fair bit of eastward movement so it's not moving north fast.  Since South Yorkshire is deeper in the front it's getting warmer air aloft.

Much heavier now, grit overpowered.

• Thanks 2

Posted

I'm back in Manchester. Wish I was back in Leeds, looks like it could turn into something significant. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Well as quick as the snow ❄️ came it’s just about gone, hopefully more to come throughout winter 🙏🙏

Posted

Meto forecast has switched, showed snow turning to rain at 1am onwards, now it turns to sleet at 2am all the way till 1pm. 

Quite a shift, could see some significant snow in the morning . 

Posted

Heavy rain over the past two hrs at 230m in SW Sheffield. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Plenty of rain overnight Snow still surviving. 6cm this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Was snowing moderately for the dogs last walk at just after 11pm and temps were still -0.1c. It continued to snow until around 1am after which temps slowly started to rise and the ppn turned to rain.  We’ve had light rain most of the night but lots of the snow still remains this morning, so it’s making it treacherous under foot.  Temps now 1.5c and rising.  It looks like we are in for a couple of miserable days, cold but not overly so, but lots of rain until end of Tuesday and possibly with more to come later in the week.

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 1

Posted

16mm of rain in the past 24h here now. Miserable really!

Posted

Reached around 7-8cm last night as it was snowing steadily for 6h.

This is the 3rd year in a row Atlantic/western based systems provide better snowfalls in our area than the eastern/northeastern ones. 

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

Reached around 7-8cm last night as it was snowing steadily for 6h.

This is the 3rd year in a row Atlantic/western based systems provide better snowfalls in our area than the eastern/northeastern ones. 

This is more of a Channel Low that's a bit too far north, similar to March. 

While we do get epic events from the east or north (6th Jan 10, 2nd Dec 10), a lot of time the frontal air is too dry and you get small flakes and blowy dust snow, the great snow from the east is shower based. Sliding Atlantic fronts (low west of Ireland, SE winds ahead of the front) deliver probably the best frontal snow as per 31st December 03, multiple Jan 13 events as these are the fat flake events. 

Turned to rain here at some point after 1am. It's drizzle at the moment as the front has just about cleared. 

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

Looks a miserable weak of cold temperatures (but not cold enough) coupled with rain. Highly unpleasant! - At least the cold spell delivered for alot of our region though, must be hard work being down south where every marginal event turns out to be the wrong side of marginal

• Like 4

Posted
59 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

This is more of a Channel Low that's a bit too far north, similar to March. 

While we do get epic events from the east or north (6th Jan 10, 2nd Dec 10), a lot of time the frontal air is too dry and you get small flakes and blowy dust snow, the great snow from the east is shower based. Sliding Atlantic fronts (low west of Ireland, SE winds ahead of the front) deliver probably the best frontal snow as per 31st December 03, multiple Jan 13 events as these are the fat flake events. 

Turned to rain here at some point after 1am. It's drizzle at the moment as the front has just about cleared. 

Yeah, from recollection of when I lived near Worksop some of the best snow events came from the east or north east, though being a bit further south than here frontal events also did okay. Presume the North York moors can be a bit of a hinderence in North Easteriles for our neck of the woods? 

Posted
28 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Yeah, from recollection of when I lived near Worksop some of the best snow events came from the east or north east, though being a bit further south than here frontal events also did okay. Presume the North York moors can be a bit of a hinderence in North Easteriles for our neck of the woods? 

Never found them a problem, unlike the Pennines they are not really high enough to kill convection. Our biggest issue is that the ENE flows tends to push convection south so we get scattered showers while South Yorkshire gets streamers thanks to us being directly west of the Wash. 

Posted

One thing I have found is frontal snow has become a thing of the past. Which is a shame as we are usually well places. 

• Like 1

Posted

Coastal weather today, continuous light rain from a leaden grey sky since early morning. warmed up from yesterday but still feels raw in ESE wind, and no snow in the mix at all.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Never found them a problem, unlike the Pennines they are not really high enough to kill convection. Our biggest issue is that the ENE flows tends to push convection south so we get scattered showers while South Yorkshire gets streamers thanks to us being directly west of the Wash. 

Thanks, given easterly seems a potential for later in the month it could make for an interesting Christmas period!

Posted
7 hours ago, Mark Bayley said:

Thanks, given easterly seems a potential for later in the month it could make for an interesting Christmas period!

Especially the ssw showing for early January!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

What a miserable day most roads flooded again absolutely awful 🤮

• Like 1