Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
21 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Reports of the railway between Leeds and Shipley being closed due to flooding.

Yes its a known trouble spot, apparently near Kirkstall Forge. As far as I can tell its surface runoff which accumulates in the lowest spot, which is the railway track.

Posted

Well a much better day today for my bike ride, wind W force 3, and a funny bright yellow globe in an almost cloudless sky. Temperatures 7c. Normal route abandonded due to ongoing flooding.  More rain is forecast for tomorrow, so we will see if its just a blip of nicer weather.

• Like 2

Posted

Oh dear, yesterday was a blip, Rain earlier, and now fog today. Wind now light, mainly S and force 2. Very dull and temps of 8c.

20231212_132344.thumb.jpg.ae421770f6a32d10c1a6a4dc9388fca2.jpg

Posted

Just want it to blooming dry out fgs. If we don't get cold we get bloody rain🤬

Edited by joggs
  • Like 2

Posted

Another miserable cold grey day with frequent showers. At lunchtime wind was NNE force 5-6 gusting 7 at times, with temps of 5c felt cold, made worse by the frequent light showers. In the last hour there have been a few breaks in the cloud and sun is trying to shine through.

20231213_123949.thumb.jpg.ce86a7ceba093f9c94b9d74682609af0.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Just a heads-up that radar shows showers on the N.York Moors and Dales are starting to turn wintery. Anyone that has not yet seen snow, but wants to, might want to look outside every now and then to check the showers as the temperature drops.

• Like 2

Posted

A better day today, wind reduced from yesterdays almost gale to a SW force 3-4, and sunny with very little cloud when I was out just after 12. Still cold at 5c.

• Like 1

Posted

A much milder day today, and quite a bit of sun. There have been some spectacular sunsets over the village over the last couple of days, here is tonights sunset, with the new crescent moon visible in the second picture.

20231216_160101.thumb.jpg.28aaffd0339b241536651d4c4c112ce9.jpg 20231216_161455.thumb.jpg.7593b5adb48a4728307211a0cbe127f7.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Wind old day  until late afternoon plenty of sunshine. though.

• Like 2

Posted

Looking like a windy period coming up and rare period of sustained windy weather as well. Could well be some unwelcome damage for Christmas by the time it eases over the weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Feels like it's been a pretty breezy and windy month overall so far. A good few bouts of gales and a few named storms

Probably the next one on Thursday.

Really hope we can scrape a seasonal couple of days around Xmas but it's not looking very wintry at the moment 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,lightning,hot and sunny

I've had enough of the mod thread, it's like a boxing match in there. In the red corner we have the back slappers saying I told you the cold spell would fail to materialise, and in the blue corner we have folk that are saying but we've still got a week to go, things could change. I know it's all about opinions, but Lots of folk on the wind up in there🤯🤯🤯

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
1 hour ago, Sheffield snow said:

I've had enough of the mod thread, it's like a boxing match in there. In the red corner we have the back slappers saying I told you the cold spell would fail to materialise, and in the blue corner we have folk that are saying but we've still got a week to go, things could change. I know it's all about opinions, but Lots of folk on the wind up in there🤯🤯🤯

And it was ever thus 😉🤷‍♂️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

What's the latest on the wind this Thursday? Can't find any discussion on it...

Posted
26 minutes ago, Schnee said:

What's the latest on the wind this Thursday? Can't find any discussion on it...

Small-scale discussion about Storm Gerrit on the Storms and Severe Weather thread, but, although the yellow weather waring covers large parts of the UK on Thursday, this does not include London & the SE, hence muted discussion to date. We've been discussing it on the NW group thread and my guess is that the further north you are, the stronger the winds will be and its effects, and it would not surprise me if we see an amber warning for some areas before long. Also, there is the suggestion of the NW wind causing problems to the East of the Pennines, the 'foehn' effect, and a possible sea surge (? the North Sea perhaps?). We should know more soon.

• Like 1

Posted

Managed to get out today and avoid the rain, wind already picking up. Force 5-7 SW at lunchtime and 9c, felt cold because of the wind, in spite of the milder temperatures. Tomorrows forecast is for gusts of 50mph+, that is beyond bike riding weather. Looking at the setup I think it may be worse than forecast as well.

Yet again I am struggling to understand the general yellow warning, I had expected more of an update today. If the forecast 60mph+ gusts materialise east of the pennines that is going to have some serious impacts. Also a possible North Sea surge.

I am firmly of the opinion that the Metoffice weather warnings do not convey to the public the required information. A low probability serious impact gets the same warning as a high probability low impact, but the required response to these two outcomes are totally different to my mind.

• Like 2

Posted

Well above forecast winds today hitting 4mph so that's 13mph higher than the local forecast which is normally pretty well spot on. probably since it's named tomorrow will be the quietest day of the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

It's pretty bad outside here, really needed to be named by the UK met I feel. Windiest of all the recent storms here. 

And of course it's black bin day so there's debris all over the road now from everyone's cans and bottles from fallen bins 😔👍

• Like 1

Posted

Got to admit if I saw 77 mph before I left hoem I would have worked from home.

Posted
24 minutes ago, The Future said:

Be careful out there. A tree nearly fell on me on Ringinglow Road.

One of your nine lives gone then.

• April 2024 - Was it that cold overall? A look at the statistics

General perception from many is that April was a cold month, but statistics would suggest otherwise, with the average temperature for the whole month coming in just above the 30 year average for the UK as a whole. A warm first half to to the month averaged out the cold second half. View the full blog here

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 2

Bank Holiday Offers Sunshine and Showers Before High Pressure Arrives Next Week

The Bank Holiday weekend offers a mix of sunshine and showers across the UK, not the complete washout some forecasting models were suggesting earlier this week. Next week, high pressure arrives on the scene, but only for a relatively brief stay. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Bank Holiday weekend weather - a mixed picture

It's a mixed picture for the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend. at times, sunshine and warmth with little wind. However, thicker cloud in the north will bring rain and showers. Also rain by Sunday for Cornwall. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather