Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

78/79 Nice on brother. I'm the same! I'm Steve, btw...

Edited by reef
Removed political discussion
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

SollyOlly No need to panic, I've got my old git's bus pass! 😁

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Azazel sounds like there's very strong potential for a notably hot and dry summer, so I guess that's something to look forward to if you're a fan of serious heat. As for spring, I'm really not convinced we'll see anything notably cold, but at the moment it doesn't look like there'll be anything exceptionally warm. It's just looking very... meh, slightly above average and fortunately dry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

One of the wettest Marches on record followed by a freezing cold spring

2023_13_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1991-2020.thumb.png.fa5228685b67c1dc7e758b82d17f2198.png

What?

TwisterGirl81 Heavily depends on a lot of factors for me. I'm quite good at adapting to ambient temperatures if I'm given enough time, but if it rapidly increases in a short timeframe then I don't do well. Humidity plays a large role as well. For instance, 2018 and 2022 didn't feel absolutely terrible to me outside of the hottest days, but 2019, August 2020, June 2023 and September 2023 affected me very badly due to the humidity and zero levels of relief at night. In terms of numbers, in spring 25°C feels hot to me, but after a long heatwave like 2022 something in the region of 27-28°C can start to feel quite tolerable, especially if it's dry.

Overall I'm quite sensitive to heat, and very resistant to cold because I have a fast metabolism and naturally produce a lot of body heat. This is why it's physically impossible for me to wear any kind of extra layers after around 15-16°C regardless of the season and the conditions as I trap way too much of my own heat.

What also doesn't help is having two decently large fish tanks in my room, that often heat up to the high 20s or beyond during heatwaves, and take a long time to come back down.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Thats the difference, i've been in shorts and a t shirt this entire winter, only a fleece on now and again.

you’ve been outside in just shorts AND a t-shirt for most of the winter?? 😮 I know it’s been mild this winter but blimey… It hasn’t been that mild! 😆😉 And it’s been so wet that surely you’d need at least a light rain jacket over your t-shirt? Otherwise you’d get cold and wet.. Surely? This winter has mainly been 8-12C, wet and windy, hardly shorts and t-shirt weather! 10C can still feel cold if it’s wet and/or windy. I could maybe understand if it had been a dry and sunny winter with those temps. It might have been an exceptionally mild winter but it’s still cold compared to the rest of the year, December CET was 7C, February CET around 8C, that is still much colder than October. Even in the house with indoor temps of around 18C, it has not been warm enough for me to wear shorts and t-shirts in the house, let alone outside! 🥶 

3 hours ago, B87 said:

12.4c max, 3.3c min, and 127 sun hours. A much nicer month than Feb 2024.

Yes Feb 2019 was so much nicer and was a like a continental mild winter month with it being very mild/warm and sunny by day but still cold at night. It felt much warmer than this month due to much more sunshine, much less wind and rain, and higher daytime temperatures. It was like a winter month in Spain or a nice March/April. The only reason this February is technically warmer is because of the mild nights.

2 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I genuinely have not felt this winter has been out of the ordinary temperature wise in any shape of the imagination…at times it’s felt friged, others times mild, this is normal here in winter, where I am 

I think because it’s been so wet and sunless and very windy at times, it hasn’t felt as mild as the stats say. Often the case with mild winters in the UK, 10C can still feel chilly if it’s windy and/or raining. Whereas a calm 5C and sunny day doesn’t feel too bad. And we are used to mild winters anyway these days. And has still been really cold at times like in early December and mid January as you say. It’s a bit like a month in spring or summer that looks ok/good temp wise, but becuase it was a cloudy and wet month with most of the warmth at night rather than during the day, it didn’t feel it. 

If I didn’t see the stats and had to guess what this winter had been like temp wise, I’d still guess above average temperatures but not exceptionally mild, maybe a degree or two above average. February 2019 felt way warmer than this February. This February has been a horrible month and doesn’t deserve to be 2nd warmest on record.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
43 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

2023_13_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1991-2020.thumb.png.fa5228685b67c1dc7e758b82d17f2198.png

What?

This has been brought up and discussed many times but that chart doesn't show the full story. Although Spring 2023 was not "freezing cold", it was one of the worst in quite a few years for those after something in the way of a longer drier, sunnier and warm spell. Even 2021 which I personally didn't enjoy much wasn't as bad as the end of March became very warm for so early in spring and April, though cold it was very sunny and dry.

An amazing table put together by @BruenSryan below shows that it took until the end of May to see temperatures that could be described as "warm" for the majority, with the latest dates to reach 22C and 23C since before 2010.

image.thumb.png.3419c51d8836f3361460bf06ba1404f5.png

2 graphs local to here further shows the lack of decent warmth mid and late spring. May did save it a little as it became much drier from mid month, but still not that warm or sunny. I guess many have also been spoiled by some stunning mid and/or late spring periods of of recent, and 2023 brought us back down closer to what a typical unsettled spring is like.

image.thumb.png.0a59f1136af156faae5e76d238f239b7.pngimage.thumb.png.ef1c3396528d53b95cc2e306950ccc94.png

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
3 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

I was under the impression that we were getting quite a string of warm Aprils actually. It's only really 2023 that was dull and mild, and of course 2021 was dry and cold.

Yeah, that's true, *but* it doesn't feel that way when it's gloomy and raining all day. By April the sun is so strong that 15 °C and sunny feels outright warm (out of the wind, at least) whereas 15 °C and raining feels a lot colder. Plus though this doesn't apply to your comment, many people still cite daily CET numbers which effectively equate the importance of daytime maxes and night-time mins, something that just isn't the case for most people's everyday lives.

3 hours ago, CharlieBear9 said:

I'd have thought Spring was the quietest time for visitors to Bewdley. It's the only period when there aren't any fishing contests on the river, which draw in hundreds of people a week throughout the rest of the year, if the river's not in flood of course.

It makes a certain amount of difference, but a *lot* of families come to Bewdley from places like Dudley. In the Easter holidays if it's sunny and reasonably warm the town car parks can be chocka by mid-morning, especially on a day like Easter Monday. It definitely isn't quiet when the weather's good, regardless of angling close season or not!

• Like 1

Posted

Metwatch You're right that it's about distribution. I would say that the following all generally apply in my case. Temperatures on wet days are weighted down. Temperatures at night are weighted down. Temperatures above what is necessary to make the day feel reasonably warm (e.g. 27C vs. 22C) are weighted down. Mild weather that is insufficient to make the day feel warm (say 15C in early March instead of 10C) is weighted down.

If I were to create my own Spring weather scoring system, it would look something like this. Days with substantial rain, or with a max below 18C, score zero. Days which are changeable with light showers/drizzle, breezy, cloudy, but still fairly usable, and above 21C max, score a point. Days that are sunny, still and above 18C max, score a point. Days that are sunny and above 21C max score two points. 25C and above, to allow for warmer evenings which are nice for sitting out after work, scores three points. In the highly unlikely event of days reaching 30C and being oppressive at night I'd start to penalise them, but that's extremely rare this far north, even in late May.

It would be more complex than this in reality, as e.g. 15C days with sun are still worth something compared to 11C and tipping it down - I've just simplified the idea a bit for the purposes of keeping this post short.

• Like 1

Posted

Yet another video of a rainy walk in London filmed very recently. This time early in the morning. The weather conditions? 5C and raining in the pitch black… Absolutely glorious.. Yet the way some people are going on about how warm this winter has been you’d think it had been 15-20C and dry/sunny everyday!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 4

Posted

WYorksWeather My scoring system for spring would go something like this:

Below 10C: 0

10-12C: 1

13-15C: 2

15-17C: 3

18-20C: 4

21-23C: 3

24-26C: 2

26-28C: 1

Over 28C: 0

Add 2 points for a sunny day. Add 1 point for a partly cloudy day. Subtract 2 points if raining.

In winter:

Below 0C: 0

0-3C: 1

4-6C: 2

7-9C: 3

10-12C: 4

13-15C: 5

Over 15C: 6

Add 2 points for a sunny day. Add one point for a partly cloudy day. Subtract one point if windy. Subtract 2 points if raining. 5 bonus points for a snowy day!

In summer: 

Below 15C: 0

15-17C: 1

18-20C: 2

21-23C: 3

24-26C: 2

27-29C: 1

Above 29C: 0

Add 2 points for a sunny day. Add one point for a partly cloudy day. Subtract 2 points if raining.

Posted
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

freezing cold spring until literally the last day or two of May

Erm no, I think you're thinking about 2013 not 2023?! 🤔 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Posted
On 29/02/2024 at 08:11, danm said:

Looks like we’ll have to endure a crap couple of days of cold rain, before some Spring like weather next week, which will be nice. 

As expected has aged terribly...

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Can confirm, February 2024 is the warmest on record by some margin and is clustering with 1990.

Across the UK no 1998 remains the warmest. 

image.thumb.png.28bf99faf5f6d55b4f2e98a9e1daf040.png

• Like 3

Posted

Spring 2023 was poor for warmth the lowest absolute max with 22.7C at Heathrow since 1986, it highlights what's still possible within our modern climate. Sometimes we get stuck in less favourable patterns that's the nature of our climate.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The memory of 2018 doesn't seem that long ago..

historical_month_day_temp.thumb.png.720d72bcf0ed64b280177323527de71b.png

• Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

When the first day of Spring brings this such weather, over SW England of all places;

IMG_0939.thumb.jpeg.0b9015283c1fed5f9f0d9ed840a2401f.jpeg

IMG_0940.thumb.jpeg.b36e8f944a6a4e73c57170bfcb4c5711.jpeg

IMG_0941.thumb.jpeg.11d7bfa6771ff20477dce4b5b58a6f22.jpeg

IMG_0942.thumb.jpeg.e20bd94a45fd04c4f34f89683c037238.jpeg

IMG_0943.thumb.jpeg.6bec66f65393786cae258bed95841c85.jpeg

IMG_0944.thumb.jpeg.69f7556d29a615c2597516890468ecaf.jpeg

Proof that the weather does not operate by a calendar!  

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Absolutely chucking it down yet again at Heathrow. I know the temperatures this winter have been notably mild, the rainfall must be at record levels here too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

16mm of rain yesterday & more today along with all sunny spells in the forecast being slowly replaced with more garbage cloud & rain = Another 50mm month here we come!!!

Also just like to add, the 1st 3rd of March is one of the most dull & horrific parts of the year and also duller than mid January every single year now. A really strange anomaly. 2015 is the last time we had a sunny start to March in my area which is pretty pathetic when you think about it.

January 11th-20th (Av sun- 30 hrs)

January 21st- 31st (Av sun- 28 hrs)

February 1st-10th (Av sun- 26 hrs)

February 11th-20th (Av sun- 36 hrs)

February 21st- 29th (Av sun- 32 hrs)

March 1st-10th (Av sun- 29 hrs & likely to go down further this year)

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Daniel* Yes, that's what I said. Read my post in full next time before trying to have a cheap gotcha.

7 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Spring 2023 was poor for warmth the lowest absolute max with 22.7C at Heathrow since 1986, it highlights what's still possible within our modern climate. Sometimes we get stuck in less favourable patterns that's the nature of our climate.

Was this written by chatGPT? It looks AI-generated.

I didn't say it was a warm spring, I said it wasn't "freezing cold". That is ridiculous hyperbole. It was very mild and wet for most of it, with low-ish daily maxima and relatively high minima.

As has also been explained to you before, there is a world outside of London. May was quite a bit warmer for the west than it was here.

Wold Topper Why are you even here if you aren't bothered about weather stats? If my posts bore you, feel free to not read them, or block me if I offend you that much 😃

• Like 4

Posted

Metwatch Yes I'm aware, I didn't say it was a good spring.

Posted

stainesbloke

This is the wettest spell of autumn & winter months in my lifetime. 
I really fear this could be the new norm.

I wonder what this environmental disaster has done to global SSTs, Global Temps and weather patterns? 

WWW.NEWSCIENTIST.COM

The Nord Stream breach released between 56,000 and 155,000 tonnes of methane into the atmosphere, making it among the largest methane emissions ever recorded from a...

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Went to our local garden centre the the other day, it's stuffed with Bbq's, garden furniture etc  costing up to a couple of thousand pounds. 

No doubt some poor gullible so and so will buy it, only to have it shoved in the garage for the entire summer. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1