Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted

Sun Chaser It goes back further! This all started last March - the dullness that is - June was a nice blip for a week or so ...

Buzzard It was and the timing was perfect for me who had a garden!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

*Stormforce~beka* As a runner it was great, but obviously perfect weather for events that were cancelled. 

Funny remembering people scattering from me running down the road thinking I’d give them Covid from 10 metres away in the fresh air 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

My goodness!! I am also treated to a speck ... I took a photo quickly before it went 

IMG_20240312_143113934.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Rain stopped but replaced by humid, dull, damp, muggy and oppressive air.

I swear I've encountered fresher days overseas with a max of around 29c!

The absolute antithesis of what early spring, or late winter, should be about. Stereotypically like poor weather in October. Autumnal in March - shows how screwed-up our climate is. Autumn in March should be restricted to southern Australia, New Zealand and southern Argentina.

Mild and dull is the absolute worst weather to have this year. I really fear that spring could be ruined if it doesn't change soon. The eternal mildness causes flowers to appear early - but the eternal dullness means we can't enjoy them. I do worry that by the time we get some sunny settled weather, all the flowers will have gone.

Would honestly prefer cold rain and 5c ! At least that would halt the advance of nature which means we could enjoy it when the settled weather returns (hence I much prefer March 2013 to either 2023 or 2024, so far). This is the absolute pits. Only good weather for pest species such as rats, mosquitoes and invasive plant species - who strangely all seem to thrive in execrable weather.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

*Stormforce~beka* To be far it's been so dull since the 9th that it's "made up" for the relatively bright first week.

As for 2023, well at least it had a decent second half of Jan, and whole of Feb. So ahead of 2024 at this stage in the year...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Methuselah Nothing wrong with that really. 19.9 is excessively warm for March, plenty of time to get those sort of temps from late April to early Oct.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

*Stormforce~beka* Oh wow, congrats. Let us thank the weather gods for gracing us with their scraps.

I've been graced with a slightly lighter shade of grey than earlier.

PXL_20240312_145348648.jpg

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, SunnyG said:

We'll have to agree to disagree 🙂 I am devoutly hoping for an April 2022 then summer 2022 repeat. I am sure the flowers will love that. I remember in 2022 all the gardens around here were in spectacular bloom and that winter had been mild if not milder than the current one.

The trouble is that much more of this mild, dull weather and all the flowers will come out too early (while the weather's still poor) and we'll be left with very little by May. I do remember the Mays of 2014, 2017, 2020 and 2022 were more spartan than normal, and none of those years featured such extreme mildness as February 2024 so I do worry about this May.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Summer8906 These conditions are dire I agree, but for my area at least, it's not particularly mild, it's been rather normal temps, 10-12c is pretty standard for March in my area.

Actually yesterday and the day prior was decidedly chilly at around 7/8c with a real damp, dank cold in the air that made those temps feel a lot lower than they were. 

It certainly doesn't feel fresh though, or crisp. Far from it. I actually feel like I have a bit of a pressure headache today. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Yep. Literally 2 mins of bright weather. No actual sun. Now getting darker. 

is there anywhere in the world with a worse climate than here? Talking inhabited to a healthy degree. NW Canada? Like north of Vancouver? 

This is the pits. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The sun's shining! 😲

It's gone now. 🤣

Edited by Methuselah
  • Thanks 1

Posted

wtf. They are forecasting 21c on Monday, but its actually going to be 15c

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

St James Park 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

Edited by baddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

baddie hmmm something looks wrong there, 21c on Monday??

edit" def wrong, this for London (G London) shows lower temperatures: 

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

London 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Summer8906  I can remember plenty of warm springs in the past and that hasnt led to a 'spartan summer' in terms of flowers, I think you worry too much. The sooner we can get some sun and warmth the better now, after this awful let down of a winter.

• Like 6

Posted

Buzzard Not many that are densely inhabited, really.

Newfoundland, Ireland, Faroe Islands, parts of Norway, Seattle in Washington State (although they're still a fair bit sunnier than then UK) are sort of on par with our climate. Iceland's climate is rather dull and wet, but they do get fantastic winters and regular Northern Lights, so it's all a trade off. Our trade off is the potential for warmer and sunnier spells in summer than them. 

I struggle to think of anywhere significant beyond that. It's mostly just microclimates and not, like, an entire county of £70m people or whatnot all plagued by the same dross.

Lima in Peru for example is very dull, and pretty wet too, but it's a city. Go a few hours elsewhere in Peru and you'll reach some of the sunniest and driest areas in the world. Parts of Russia I'd imagine also have a climate that is just as grim as ours, but add brutal winters to the mix too...but again, we are talking about regions that are likely very sparsely populated (gee, wonder why not many people live in such areas, lol).

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons

Posted

Well I booked a week away in the "sun" in April yesterday with about 30 seconds of thought. One other thing I did last year was add gravel paths to the garden so I can walk about and get out nearly anytime, avoiding wet grass. I'm just about able to cope knowing that it won't be long until proper spring days and or my 1 week away, until then stove lit to cheer up the evenings. But March 2013 thought was lesson enough to have steel in my soul for it being a tough month in any year, so at least it's not as bad as that so far. Also taking the vitamin D and K supplement, so may people are on very low levels by this time of the season.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

*Stormforce~beka* Hey, Becka, here's this week's Deep Dive; a better sign of some sunshine. 👍

Edited by Methuselah

Posted

Methuselah Oh joy. That deep dive video shows simply just more of the same, for the rest of this week and then the weekend. Beyond that? Who knows. I take any predictions from the Met for 5-7+ days away with a big pinch (whole tub) of salt. 

Best bit is where she mentioned about the "longest dry spell", because from their hourly timeline, it's happening overnight and then very early on Saturday morning, with the rain then returning to greet us for once the day actually begins 😆 No rain from 10pm Friday until 6am Saturday is so useful lol.

Screenshot_20240312-182536~2.png

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Wynn D WooIt's not like countries with warm weather don't have great flowers because they do...

Methuselah You just have to look at her expression there lmaoooo

Edited by SunnyG
  • Like 3

Posted

Wynn D Woo Agree. At present, there's basically zero flowers in my area and everything is still looking incredibly barren for early-mid March due to the sheer lack of sunshine and constant rain. 

Unless your favourite plant is moss, a warm and sunny Spring is perfectly good for many flowers. Did we forget that photosynthesis requires sunlight?

• Like 2