Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

*Stormforce~beka* Csb is a warm summer Mediterranean climate where the mean temp in the warmest month is <22c (eg Porto).

Csa is a hot summer Mediterranean climate with a warmest mean >22c. (eg Rome, Marseille).

• Like 1

Posted

Scorcher The only place in the eastern US with Seattle levels of sunshine is Pittsburgh (actually it's duller than Seattle). All the other major cities in the east are sunnier, but they aren't as sunny as their figures suggest. Boston is 300 hours sunnier than Naples if you use the inflated figures, and almost as sunny as Lisbon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
9 hours ago, reef said:

On temperatures for example, we've had just one month more than 1C below the 1991-2020 average since May 2021 on the CET, but 19 have been more than 1C above. If this were to balance out then we'd be looking at an extended average or below average period being due. Likewise for sunshine and rain: 2022 was widely the sunniest year on record and this extended into 2023, so you could argue the current weather is "balance" to that. Likewise for rainfall - 2021 into most of 2022 was one of the driest periods on record, so you could argue the wetness of 2023-24 is balancing that out.

Great post. 

Posted
5 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

I think this really depends where you are. In this part of the world, while dry it wasn't extremely so - certainly not as dry as the past 9 months have been wet.

October and December 2021 were rather wet, February, March, May and June 2022 were about average, August wasn't that dry due to some thundery rain - leaving just Nov 2021, Jan 2022, April 2022 and July 2022 as notably dry.

Sep 2022 was slightly on the wet side and the final three months were very wet.

It's been a long time here since we've had an extended dry period of the sort we got in the 90s.

Autumn 2021 to Summer 2022. Dry:

image.thumb.png.2b524e481eebc99f878dc1f6cd320c0b.png
image.thumb.png.8239210d1d451756f440700be5edbd4b.png

image.thumb.png.86112bef95fd467b02903bde3e475db2.png

image.thumb.png.63ff322e7e21aba8bd5e6d53e866ed75.png

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Back from a week long camping trip in the Lakes, and as much as I do love the scenery, (posting more photos in the Northwest regional thread in the coming days) the rain was becoming excessive towards the end, especially yesterday and this morning (also not exactly surprised by that). ~40mm fell last night alone near the campsite I was at!

Looking at the outlook and I can see an improvement in the near term starting from Thursday; quite mild and somewhat drier, probably cooler again next week but unlikely to be as wet than of recent. I cannot see much in the models that would be on the excellence of April - May 2018 / 2020 yet though. But the Jetstream heading north now a bit and getting rid of that silly Greenland blocking is very nice to see at last for this time of year! Hopefully this is all the start of a slow transition into a stunning May! Everything is looking to become green very early this year, which personally I prefer, but probably not the best for nature itself.

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 2

Posted

This is from January 2023. It's like being stuck inside Groundhog Day.

image.thumb.png.a61caff4b6af5bdc79c93cfd8cdea4a7.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Scorcher If you want to compare it to UK or European figures, then 2295 hours is the accurate one.

Posted

Well well gfs this morning has only half and inch or rain or less for the next weeks for parts of the south and south east and would be the driest conditions since possibly October!! Maybe we are turning the corner. 

• Like 1

Posted

B87 So are we saying Seattle should be more around the 1700 hour mark if measured the European way?

It does seem ridiculous that July supposedly averages 312 hours there. That's an extreme month in the very best summers for the sunniest places in the UK.

Edited by Scorcher

Posted
13 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

The most recent seasonals are suggesting patterns consistent with the hottest summers on record

Are they? Majority develop La Niña over summer. CFS particularly strong with it. More wishcasting from yourself.

IMG_3013.thumb.jpeg.a9d658efc30d9408965bcc33e273968b.jpegIMG_3014.thumb.png.5a695d3dbf950f6c24e61b89a8f9385b.png

also new 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Insightful 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

So are we saying Seattle should be more around the 1700 hour mark if measured the European way?

It does seem ridiculous that July supposedly averages 312 hours there. That's an extreme month in the very best summers for the sunniest places in the UK.

The question is why they measure sunshine hours differently? Makes international comparison very difficult. Plus their own stats are misleading. 

• Like 2

Posted

danm you could say the same about why they still use Fahrenheit. Was on a call the other day with someone in Mumbai saying it was 37° and the American popped up saying I didn’t realise it got that cold in India 🫠

Edited by Alderc 2.0
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Scorcher Perhaps a tad more so in Manchester. In my area, by mid to late April in my area, I would be expecting to see some warm, sunny days where I can comfortably sit outside, including in the shade. 

By May I would be expecting some properly warm days that are feeling more-or-less summery. 

Outside of Spring 2023 in which the SE was plagued with a constant north sea wind for weeks, most recent Aprils and Mays have delivered spells like this. 

Posted

In Absence of True  The average max in London in April is still only 15C which is not 'warm in the shade' or anything close to it for me.

15C can feel warm in the sun with light winds but most people wouldn't feel warm in short sleeves in the shade, particularly if it's breezy.

Even 19C doesn't feel that warm in the shade.

So while temps of 20C+ at this stage in April are very possible, I don't think we should be expecting them anywhere in the country this early on.

• Like 1

Posted

Grey, damp, raining, only 10c.

The very typical April continues with alternating days of good and bad weather. From tomorrow it doesnt look too bad for a few days and poss well into next week, with one or two interruptions.

April is a very varied month, weatherwise; always has been, so little change, historically, imho.

• Like 2

Posted

Scorcher No, it would be closer to 1920 hours, the same as Portsmouth.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

danm I am actually amazed that autumn 2021 and in particular winter 21/22 were that dry.

Winter 21/22 certainly didn't seem dry, apart from January. In particular I remember December seemed very wet until about the 10th and again from around the 23rd onwards.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Scorcher I'd say at this time of year 15C does feel warm, because we're used to temps of around 10C in the preceding weeks.

In September, on the other hand, 15C feels Arctic because we're used to temps in the 20s.

In all honesty I'd prefer the rest of the month to be cool, as it's the only way we can prevent spring ending early. Sunny, though.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Turning out a fine morning here. Not overly warm, but still, and plenty of sunshine.

Yesterday was a low point that hopefully isn't going to be repeated for a while, by the looks of the conditions for the next few days at least. 

PXL_20240410_092402706.jpg

PXL_20240410_092352929.jpg

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun

I do believe we have a temperature record (Of sorts). Earliest in the year an average of 8 Celsius has been attained, since they started recording in 1772. (HADCET mean data)

In 1879, this wasn't breached till the 6th September 😆

Edited by Pulpstar
  • Like 2

Posted

Alderc 2.0 yeh but at least with Fahrenheit you still know exactly what the temperature is. It seems like their sunshine totals are grossly inflated. 

• Like 1

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons left London on the train this morning, bright sunshine. Have arrived in Manchester for work and it’s peeing it down with rain. There is rain moving into the London area later but looks a lot lighter and more patchy.