Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General summer chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

I would absolutely not worry about what this summer will be like - that goes for both warm weather and cool weather fans!  Many were saying 2022 will have a mediocre August because of La Nina - ended up being the third warmest on record.  Last summer was supposed to be a summer of heat plumes - none except in September!  Personally I'll be concerned when we get to June and we see zero warm ensemble members 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The UK could start to give names to heatwaves under a trial this year, if successful the naming of heatwaves could then be adopted permanently like it is for storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

*Stormforce~beka* harry the heatwave..willy warm spell..phil its a scorcher 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Erm ... Why?! And what do they call a Heatwave? ...

Italy named one Cerberus last summer.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Wouldn't bother me. But if they start naming heatwaves I bet  climate change deniers will be saying they are hyping things up with it being some form of climate change agenda.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

sundog Which it would be. Absolutely no need for it. Nothing wrong with referring to ‘the August 2022 heatwave’ or ‘the July 2021 heatwave’.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

sundog they'd do that anyway, they get their panties in a twist over the colour of weather forecast maps. Their days are filled with a motivation to be up in arms over nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I'm all for riling up climate change deniers tbh. Good entertainment if nothing else.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Summer Sun Oh please… this naming of every single weather event is getting ridiculous now, what’s next, naming areas of high pressure?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

cheese same can be said for the opposite end of the spectrum with the climate change zealots

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

naming areas of high pressure?

Unofficially that is already a thing, the high pressure over Scandinavia that gave us the beast in 2018 has the name "Anticyclone Hartmut":

image.thumb.png.0006382e75a9f809343ff9015df1ffe6.png

There is also a "High Peter" event from October 2016 which lead to some atmospheric pressure records in Scandinavia.

Posted
On 24/01/2024 at 16:20, MIKE LEVITT said:

I find summer weather tedious.only good things about summer i like are the return of rugby league and cricket.my 2 favourite sports

Surely winter is even more tedious though... It’s just mostly overcast, rain and 6-10°C here these days, with about 2 snowy days a year, lol.. It’s by far the most tedious and uninspiring season, away from snowy places such as Aviemore for example. Spring, summer and even autumn have much more variety and much more interesting weather.

On 25/01/2024 at 10:45, In Absence of True Seasons said:

It's why I don't fork out big £££ for holidaying in the UK in summer, or, I go on a spontaneous trip wherein I see a heatwave incoming on the models and then commit to a long-weekend / week away right in-line with that. Anything other than that, is effectively a coin-flip with A) your money and B) your holiday dates landing at the same time as a spell of summery weather. 

I have tended to be quite lucky with holidaying in the UK.

Here are the holidays I’ve been on in recent years and what the weather was generally like:

August 2010 - Oban, West Scotland - Dry, don’t remember any rain, some sunny days, some cloudy days

August 2011 - Cromer, East Anglia - Dry, don’t remember any rain, remember lots of warm, sunny days

August 2012 - Isle of Man - Rain at times, remember lots of cloud, not much sun

August 2013 - Skegness, East Anglia - Dry, don’t remember any rain, lots of warm, sunny weather

August 2013 - Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear - Very cool and cloudy, don’t remember any rain though.

August 2014 - Minehead, Somerset - Mostly dry I think, some sunny days, some cloudier days

August 2015 - St Ives, Cornwall - Rain on the first day, but dry after that, with lots of sunshine

August 2017 - Paignton, Devon - Dry, no rain at all, mix of sun and clouds first three days, quite warm, very sunny and very warm last three days

May/June 2018 - Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear - Very chilly with sea mist and only 12-14°C first few days, but quite pleasant and sunny the last two days. No rain whatsoever.

July 2018 - Bridgend, South Wales - Not really a holiday but stayed there overnight for a family wedding, very hot and sunny.

August 2019 - Barmouth, West Wales - Very cool with temps in the mid to high teens and chilly sea breezes, plenty of sunshine though, not much rain, warm and sunny on the last day.

Early September 2022 - Scarborough, East Yorkshire - Lots of pleasant days with temps in the high teens and low 20’s. Plenty of sunshine and very little rain apart from a thunderstorm one afternoon.

Early September 2023 - Tewkesbury, Cotswolds - Very hot and sunny almost the whole time. Temps in the high 20’s and low 30’s. No rain apart from the day I arrived (31st August).

Overall, I’ve been quite lucky with the weather. I’ve encountered very little rain and it’s usually been fairly sunny or very sunny and fairly warm or very warm. A couple of chilly holidays but that can happen at the coast if the wind is blowing from off the sea. No washout holidays apart from in 2012, but that was an atrocious summer anyway. All these holidays were pre-booked weeks in advance as well. The weather was usually worse back at home during most of those years.

• Like 1

Posted

cheeky_monkey don't forget those zealots who think the earth is round. why can't they just respect those of us who think the earth is flat? 😢

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Looks like the first signs of a potential Spanish plume are showing up in the fl models... in February. A suggestion of notably high isotherm temperatures that could deliver a very springlike spell, there's even mention of breaking the record high for February. 

Given that the mild has proven to be persistently bullish throughout winter, I wonder if we'll see this trend continue through spring and summer? If mild conditions are so easily establishing themselves in the dead of winter, against a backdrop of perfect conditions for cold, it really does make you wonder what's in store. Could this be a year of multiple Spanish plumes?

Edited by raz.org.rain

Posted

To be honest I just want an average summer this year. No heatwaves, no washouts, just average temperatures, with a mix of sun and clouds, and the odd shower. I’d be quite happy with a summer 2015/2009 repeat.

Like in the Timelapse below.

https://youtu.be/N9M__emN4Dc?si=mchusAumX0IhJCgc

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

raz.org.rain I’m all for Spanish plumes in the right seasons. Especially if they deliver some decent thunderstorms, like they used to in the 80’s-90’s. Not really keen on seeing plumes in February.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted

If we’re going to get Spanish plumes I’d rather they happen outside of the summer months, when they are less intense. The July 2022 heatwave was pretty intense! 🥵 September and May plumes are usually ok as the heat isn’t as intense and the sun is weaker.

Posted

East Lancs Rain I'd be happy with an average summer too, but I will always prefer warmer than average.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
12 hours ago, raz.org.rain said:

Looks like the first signs of a potential Spanish plume are showing up in the fl models... in February.

funny, I had a dream today of southern France reaching 36c in february. What a strange thing to see from having that dream 😅

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

East Lancs Rain In more recent times, my favourite May plume was in 2017. The classic three fine days and an absolute humdinger on the 27th. One of the best storms I've seen in this country, and I think ever... and that's having spent time in Florida and Brazil on numerous occasions.

• Insightful 1

Posted

*Stormforce~beka* im so looking forward to spring and summer this year :drunk-emoji:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1