Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish weather discussion - Spring 2023/24

Norrance

Posted

Pleasant morning here too, 9.2c under sunny skies with light winds. Low was 8c.

Mean monthly temps ranging from +3.3c above the mean at Eskdalemuir to -0.8c at Baltasound. Again this winter, a real north/south split.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Fine mild sunny breezy morning after yesterdays rain. First day too that you could feel some warmth in the sun when  shifting electric fence in neep field.  However ground is just as wet as its ever been. Currently 11c

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Feeling very springlike out there today.

11c, but feeling warmer thanks to very light winds and plenty of sunshine 🌞🌞

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Definitely spring-like. 12.4c under sunny skies but 14c up the road at Leuchars.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Absolutely lovely day here, been oot in garden pottering aboot!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Kayemill

I agree...outside this afternoon wearing a t-shirt in the middle of winter, I mean it just shouldn't be.

The grass has taken off again it will be needing a cut shortly if it grows any more.

If I remember correctly we have had two falls of snow this winter, the first week in December and that non-event which gave us a sprinkle but that was weeks ago.

Does anyone remember a few years ago when we have an extended atumn it wasn't mild just mid single digits for weeks, this is starting to look like that.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

The weather is in a slump...I know how it feels, where's the cold gone.

• Like 3

Posted

A very pleasant few days with lots of sunshine, relatively light winds and mild enough to work outside without a jacket. 

Could do with a decent dump of snow on the hills though - the Lecht and Glenshee even seemed to miss out when much of Aberdeenshire was buried back in January. Not sure how the things have fared further west this year? 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Snowandrocks said:

Not sure how the things have fared further west this year? 

I was surprised on Saturday to see lingering snow on the peaks west of Fort Augustus: more than the east. 

A terrible year though. Maybe March & Easter will pep things up for the ski industry?

• Like 2

Posted

Snowandrocks

Glencoe has some Snow on upper mountain but is limited as far as I heard and Nevis range is closed due to insufficient snow for sports 😢

Wouldn’t like to be a snow sports owner that for sure. Diversification of activities seems only way now as snow just isn’t guaranteed. 

I remember going up to Glencoe almost every weekend in early-mid 2000’s and getting amazing conditions almost all the time. My skis have barely left the garage in the last 7/8 years, either due to lack of snow or weather not playing ball when have the free time. ☹️

🤞🏻the lecht and glenshee get a foot dumping over next few weeks and Easter half term is a roaring success!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

'Well that didn't last long!' exclaimed the actress to the bishop. 'By the time I looked up, it was all over!' ('and look at the state of your cassock...')

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

Hairy Celt yes just the same here after a perfect drying afternoon when we have  been able to lift neeps all day as the ground got dryer and dryer on the surface only to be halted  by violent torrential rain and wind in the last half hour.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Didn't last long here either but was torrential for a few minutes as the squall went through. Now clear again and cooler at 6C.

IMG_2675.png

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

jon_d1983 and everyone,

It was quite depressing to come over the West Highland line on Sunday and see the dilapidated old snow fences on Rannoch Moor, no longer presumably required. Heck, there’s even a "snow tunnel" on the line like you see on some of the Alpine passes:

IMG_3774.thumb.jpg.c835e963303dbbd5ec3b73f25fbd303d.jpg

IMG_3895.thumb.PNG.56de20380b762f476e316026aefec061.PNG

A bit of a far cry from this event:

Screenshot2024-02-20at18_53_47.thumb.png.09ded5d793ea9b23dde27a6461e4d400.png

• Like 5

Posted

TillyS believe these snow fences were stripped - they were entirely counter productive, too close to the tracks for their height, amplified further by being atop of a cutting. 

Modern research on snow fencing states an absolute minimum of 35x the height of the fence set back from what you are trying to protect. In the case of a cutting, 35H back from the top of the slope rather than track itself.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
12 hours ago, jon_d1983 said:

My skis have barely left the garage in the last 7/8 years, either due to lack of snow or weather not playing ball when have the free time. ☹️

Pretty much the same here, with Covid restrictions also in the mix at times. Not sure it's looking too promising for our half planned drive to the Alps with the motorhome the first 2 weeks of April either. Unless there's some cold snowy weather incoming I doubt it'll be worth the effort. 

Nothing much to say of the weather here the last few days other than I think I'm going to have to stop wearing a jumper, even a thin one, to work. Mid Feb and I'm thinking of switching back to 'summer mode' clothes wise. 🙄

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Wet morning, dry afternoon all very yawn. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Guess I'm the only one excited 😆😂😂

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

A bit colder this morning. Car said 3.5 Deg. Not bothered putting up the new weather station as it's been so boring for so long.

My car alarm went off this morning. Checked it out and can only assume it was the heavy rain/hail that set it off.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Very heavy graupel shower.  Tweeddale winter February 2024 update.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-02 07:37:13 Valid: 02/05/2024 0900 - 03/04/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Risk of thunderstorms overnight with lightning and hail

Northern France has warnings for thunderstorms for the start of May. With favourable ingredients of warm moist air, high CAPE and a warm front, southern Britain could see storms, hail and lightning. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-01 08:45:04 Valid: 01/05/2024 0600 - 02/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - 01-02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F