Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Does anybody know if this has anything to do with downwelling and the SSW? In that case the battle is on and I know where to put my money. 

IMG_20240206_201442.png

• Like 1

Posted

Relying on a huge Siberian High to retrogress westwards does wonders for the frustration levels. I've been known to call it the shyest beast there is. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, AO- said:

Does anybody know if this has anything to do with downwelling and the SSW? In that case the battle is on and I know where to put my money. 

IMG_20240206_201442.png

Too early for a response from the upcoming one (won’t have happened by 16th)

could be to do with events last month - clearly we have a neg AO ongoing and getting more negative 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

blizzard81 Last time that happened other than the induced SSW of 2018 was back in Feb 2012 and even then the real cold only got to the east of London and a stalled front from the Atlantic dumped a bit, I think we're really clutching at straws and even then we'd probably get a short wave develop over the Norwegian Sea or something which usually crops up to put the Siberian Express on the buffers.

• Like 3

Posted

The op cluster days 8/10 is the non scandi ridge cluster (in that the Atlantic trough  is too far east on that cluster). The larger two clusters (80%) have a solid scandi/scrussian ridge with easterly flow 

we need to find a mechanism to leave some low uppers over Eastern Europe 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

ps2png-worker-commands-689fbb6985-2zrkk- 

• Like 5

Posted

Right, here we go again. Let's try to untangle this mess. I'll show UKV again for the short range.

In three hour intervals, here's UKV 15z from 3am Thursday:

image.thumb.png.dad9909d950d5f1f8b500c4aac72686b.pngimage.thumb.png.747a7f4ad6c79be9931aa4f0e826d35d.pngimage.thumb.png.2df873318b7622a1947a75f9f5a0d170.pngimage.thumb.png.89701a3afc187be9c66966f80db0438b.pngimage.thumb.png.de7f8b592d2f8dbfa51c82f9c4eef889.pngimage.thumb.png.dcfd9b4704a78f054508977feb0e7bfd.pngimage.thumb.png.af32a1848326ca8b7ef2dd15a8993eef.pngimage.thumb.png.ab8fcf428a4d1ba80be69ab04836638d.pngimage.thumb.png.2f0ec4ecc5d68a1cd2aca6ab6db1259b.png

I'll leave it there at 3am Friday - the rest is only snow into usual mountainous spots and the rest rain only. Nothing here to change my view from yesterday that we're looking at a snow to rain event on low ground, at best. Of course, disruptive levels of snowfall quite possible across higher ground. By Friday morning, 850hPa temperatures compatible with snowfall have been washed away almost everywhere except Scotland. Similar story with dew points.

image.thumb.png.604ea44b34dea599dee60213ac366af7.pngimage.thumb.png.f15d64b3854e3fb0b53aef8613e77b98.png

You can see this on the snow depth charts as well - there's a move from a more widespread dusting of snow on Thursday evening to significant accumulations at altitude across the UK, and possibly in Scotland to slightly lower levels, and almost nothing anywhere else.

image.thumb.png.1073465c3662683ef8f18ecc18c37d0a.pngimage.thumb.png.6f9f5f4c30a111b4b3a64adb7507ecdc.png

In short, this event looks like being a bust for most, and even if you do get some snow, it's going to be very transient. Out to T+120, beyond this, UKV also shows nothing but rain away from the usual prone spots.

So, next is the medium term outlook (12z GFS only, as ECM 12z is not out yet).

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e(44).thumb.png.6bbc653131cf0efd6b2688fcae06d303.pnggfs-newcastle-upon-tyne(22).thumb.png.e58b13937e8191e1404c61695d7abe30.png

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e(45).thumb.png.ce928d9383c42d1b352ddbcb24237637.pnggfs-newcastle-upon-tyne(23).thumb.png.a488f8fb2b792d24be22f42d1e91c139.png

Again, it's not a very inspiring picture. Even further north, there are almost no ensembles showing deep cold. As we've seen, getting the 850s down to -5C probably doesn't cut it for low level snow at this time of year, we need those -8Cs and lower in most cases.

Worse yet, the mean is becoming more bullish about above average temperatures. You don't need to be a genius to recognise that the OP run tonight was a bit of a mild outlier, but it's not entirely without support, and the mean just looks very much like standard fare for this time of year. Temperatures a little above average. Most crucially, very few ensemble members getting the surface temperatures down to 0C, and the mean is going for not only a snow-free but a largely frost-free period for the next couple of weeks.

We're at the point where some significant changes are needed in the next week or two on the modelling, otherwise I'll look for an early spring. We probably get one more shot for something to happen in the second half of February, plus a remote chance of something turning up in the first couple of weeks of March, but I'm not holding my breath, frankly. If we start seeing properly mild and spring-like charts instead, I'll probably jump ship over to warmth hunting.

I will compare with the ECM ensemble later. 

Edited by WYorksWeather
Removed unintentional extra chart.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Let's see where EC leeft ús with the 2m temperature for next week. A simple conclusion can be drawn and that is that the cold had been postponed by two days more again. Well, cold, more like average for the time of year. Despite the biggest chance of a Northeasterly apparently it is not very cold up north. 

eps_pluim_tt_06280 (17).png

eps_windrichting_kanspluim_06280 (1).png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

What a massive block to the north east I wonder if we can start to tap into into something much colder from east next few weeks ❄️❄️

IMG_0777.png

IMG_0776.png

Edited by Scandinavian High.

Posted

Mike Poole The best chart I've seen all day, perhaps it's not all bad. That really is a sharp decrease in zonal winds, especially since a few days ago it was showing nothing like it. GFS also playing with the idea of a reversal, many members dipping to -15m/s. Seems like it'll be a lot more notable than the one we had in mid January.. question is will it deliver the goods or another mild borefest. Still got hope we'll see something special this month.

image.thumb.png.3305f7982d5af800d3df194985ff3e24.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
4 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Agree, the jet is southerly, and I'm bamboozled why the models want to move it north. It just seems odd. 

I know what you mean, it doesn't feel right. I've never had a greater sense of 'the models have totally lost it' clashing with 'but surely they can't get it that wrong at 3-4 days lead time?'.

It's especially peculiar how we initially had much more credible looking outcomes from UKM & ECM. Evidently, something very unusual has been picked up on, however well or not its impacts are being resolved.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

The ECM mean for day 10 is as strong a signal as you'd wish to see at that range.

image.thumb.png.f432925ae9eeda5cc5c3d2defaa09f84.png 

How it develops thereafter will keep us on our toes, but it won't be a quick route to cold (when is it ever in the UK!).

• Like 2

Posted

blizzard81 it’s not sudden

the model picked up on a marked slowdown about a week ago and the gfs ops began to show an appetite for a reversal ever since it was at day 16.   the gefs have slowly caught up and began to show mean reversal on and off for the past couple days. The eps since this morning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Singularity Those who have more detailed knowledge may be able to explain why the models are shunting it north instead of east.. I keep looking at the models and scratching my head why this is the case, especially with heights building to the north as well.. it should in theory head SE.. answers welcomed.

Posted

As others have said, if we are going to get a BFTE setup similar to 2018 - a late cold spell that is going to rescue winter, the building blocks have to be in place. Just an example, but to show the differences.

Here are the 850hPa profiles, compared to the same date in 2018. For this year I'm using the GFS 12z mean.

11th February:

image.thumb.png.84209d2da5cc259fcf9430353a34a0a3.png image.thumb.png.7b84d6a869bfe1055e3580f4ac924f08.png

16th February (day 10):

image.thumb.png.ae0b131970f6ea110fc7be269daac4b4.png image.thumb.png.d21991f955033392ac180271a9d853bc.png

Look at the spatial extent of the blues by comparison - no prizes for guessing which chart is from this year, and which chart is from 2018. This was before the actual synoptic that produced the BFTE in late February, and just shows how much more of a possibility there was in 2018. Easiest way is to pick something like the deep blue -8C contour and compare the area. In 2018 there are extra blobs of -8C well outside the locations where you'd expect them. This year, almost all of Europe, with the sole exception of Scandinavia, is mild.

And the culprit, I would suggest, is this.

image.thumb.png.e1db065c63b7938483b40ce099713040.png

I checked, and in 2018, the entire North Atlantic was half a degree cooler. That's a massive teleconnection if ever there were one, and it doesn't get mentioned enough.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Now looking like a one day cold snap for most of the country on Thursday with rain and snow for some, the far south may not even turn cold until next week now. 

• Like 1