Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

There looks to be an ongoing trend to ridge heights later in week 2 but as yet no sign of troughing getting underneath.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Think the back loaded winter is a busted flush unless the models show something soon. With the great background signals what's happened other the unmentionable CC I wonder.🤔

• Like 5

Posted

johncamthe story of the winter really. Any cold that does try to make it gets cut off, but for the spoiler Iberian High this could have been a winter to remember . Well and truly sick of it now. I was hoping we'd get a noticeable late February  cold spell to rescue this winter but it doesnt seem likely now

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 6

Posted
16 hours ago, Daniel* said:

You say that but Northern Europe/Scandinavia is expecting coldest winter since 2009/10. The deep cold has been persistent in upper Europe, potentially accessible to wider Europe things have just not aligned at least yet. Again an illustration in a warming world… persistent cold anomalies can occur regionally. I personally don’t see the value in looking at entire Northern Hemisphere you need to look at areas with relative proximity to UK where the cold originates to our north and east. I don’t see why for example a very warm Canadian winter means much to us.  

Yep, it has been very cold there. The problem is where we are now, though. A lot of runs show the cold over Scandinavia dissipating except in the far north, which leaves virtually no noteworthy cold anywhere within about a 500 mile radius.

• Like 2

Posted

I'll be back with the usual look at the 12z ensembles later on. First off though, here's the latest CFSv2. Which I'll admit, isn't worth much at the best of times. But just nice to have another long range model to look at alongside the EC46.

image.thumb.png.164d0be2d71c03b8d766ff8fd739c36f.pngimage.thumb.png.3623a637905479c13c8f10480796d5ec.png

The weeklies are going for above average temperatures in weeks 1 and 2, especially so in the south. By week 3, we have average conditions prevailing everywhere, then below average in week 4.

image.thumb.png.8fe5b0920b28e5850ac58d95c20fd186.pngimage.thumb.png.567695c16c3a3638c24db291514c10dd.png

Unfortunately no real drying trend. Rainfall slightly above average in weeks 1 and 2, then near average. No sign of the prolonged spell of settled weather we need to dry out the ground and hopefully mitigate any further flooding issues.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

CFS = Can't forecast snow ............about as reliable as EC46, both are great when showing eye candy but in reality not much clue beyond 7-10 days.........................like most models I guess 

• Like 4

Posted

And there goes your ecm run right there..at 192..under the influence of mild southwesterlies!what a joke!..I was really looking forward to the ecm..after seeing that ukmo

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
Addin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

frosty ground let's narrow it down. 

I'd just like a week or two of dry sunny weather. Is that too much to ask? 

Consistent gloom and rain is an awful way to end the extended autumn. 

Edited by CoventryWeather
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

TEITS I take it you were being ironic.

• Like 2

Posted

Whilst we wait for the ECM ensembles, just a quick word on the GFS.

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e(49).thumb.png.bf6b98037a2cb74c04d79afcb0e43b7d.pnggfs-newcastle-upon-tyne(25).thumb.png.c48e0344a1e95cd22a71e80ede116946.png

Tonight's 12z just looks like a continuation of a generally boring pattern, frankly. It looks mild in the south, nearer normal further north, until at least the 18th or so. Beyond that, a slight cooling trend, and by the time we get to 22nd and beyond, something possibly a little colder. However, a real lack of notably cold ensembles means I'm not seeing any reason to get overly excited at this stage. Need to see if that signal intensifies or not in the days ahead.

Now a look at the ensemble mean for days 5, 10 and 15.

image.thumb.png.cdfd9294fe0e37b24f27138761ce10dd.pngimage.thumb.png.e7139459023df7a217830ef2f28fe45f.pngimage.thumb.png.95b28d0132ec363df38226766ba4b050.png

image.thumb.png.34f373446b23a927ac3f28af5e3e4f15.pngimage.thumb.png.8f01bc2b527ecf3d118ad5ff49d6b8b4.pngimage.thumb.png.b793ff4e30b52a672c82631ffc72d0e6.png 

You can see that we have a bit of blocking at day 5, but by sod's law we end up pumping up some Iberian heights again that scuppers any attempt at anything particularly cold, and by day 15 it's just a very flat pattern.

At all times as well, the nearest very deep cold (-12C and lower at 850hPa) is kept locked away no closer than far northern Scandinavia. Which is yet another problem to be overcome, unfortunately. We almost need a two stage process from here - something to bring deep cold a little closer to the UK (across Scandinavia again or eastern/central Europe), and then the right pattern to send it our way from there.

And time is definitely not on our side...

• Like 1

Posted

We seem to have had a general pattern this winter where any amplification even at closer timeframes tends to get watered down .

Also it’s been a real struggle to get energy to head se .

We can see it with the output . We have that wedge but everything runs more ne .

• Like 2

Posted

About the only positive from the end of the ECM is at least it looks dry and mild rather than wet and mild, perhaps more so for the south, but still.

If it's going to be like that I hope it goes the whole way and we get a couple of spring-like days with temperatures widely into the mid-teens out of it. It'd be better than cold drizzle.

image.thumb.png.69eb541e2920b06d4ebb8854d5e64bd0.pngimage.thumb.png.73f05744a3a826729210ab3da9b6994f.png

Probably not worth commenting further until we see where the ensembles have gone.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

nick sussex yes nick its been a hard slog esp for the members on here who put a lot of time and effort on the thread. A lot of great background signals, synoptics "at times" but the heighths etc to the south seem to be an  insipid winter feature. 😒

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I can’t say i’m surprised by this evenings ECM in all honesty, although little point in analysing individual deterministic runs when we’ve got ridiculous amounts of ensemble spread, it’s virtually impossible to pick out a route forward using NWP modelling alone. 

IMG_5143.thumb.png.d93c7459b818e069dd1a3a94944ad59e.png

Teleconnections aren’t providing much in the way of clarity either, equatorward fluxing of AAM anomalies are I suspect, helping to strengthen/maintain heights to the south of the UK whilst MJO through phases 7 & likely into weak amplitude 8 suggests blocking of the higher latitude type, two evidently opposing signals & an occasion when the tropics & sub tropics are not aligned towards the same potential outcomes, i.e opposing signals playing havoc with both NWP modelling & our ability to forecast in the medium-extended range with any clarity or confidence. 

A potential SSW in the mix too only further complicates the picture. I think getting cold into the UK is going to be difficult, particularly further south and particularly during February. 

It’s a case of waiting & seeing how things transpire at the moment, not much hope can be offered in terms of cold outcomes though. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Evening all,UKMO and ICON the best charts for cold while ECM goes on one of its walk about still lots of chopping and changing for next weekend,but I remain quietly confident of northern blocking showing it self on the charts as we progress into the coming week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

nick sussex ok so why do you think this is? Because its been uncanny this winter. Where's the jet stream surely it's straight over us lol