Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

Bit of a late night update - did the ECM 12z follow the GFS 12z with a warmer spell in FI? The control (OP doesn't run far enough) says no - the whole pattern is a few hundred miles to the west, and we're actually stuck under cool and cyclonic northerlies.

image.thumb.png.3ad743895c7a943d91d95495146736db.pngimage.thumb.png.9c28b6f2e517db242c2e4f539a6d34c5.png

To be fair, the control was amongst the coldest runs. One pattern that we do notice though is that the downward trend in temperatures after the warmup early next week has been downgraded to more of a return to average, similar to the GFS 12z ensemble. Still no sign of anything particularly warm though on the mean, but still looks a fair bit warmer than of late overall.

ecmwf-london-gb-515n-025.thumb.png.92fbdccce4c4d2129e520ab045e27d8a.pngecmwf-london-gb-515n-025(1).thumb.png.d6167b7be307e33d194253d8a9498439.png

Next is the GFS 18z. Ensemble isn't out and I'm not waiting up for it, but does it follow the 12z?

The answer, much as with the ECM, is no. The pattern is not as far west as the ECM, but the high is over and to the south of the UK, which is badly positioned for any real warmth. Nothing overly cold, and should be largely dry, but I'd hesitate to call it warm.

image.thumb.png.c2fbc9bde5fbb61eb50134a4afa4428f.png

All in all, not the most inspiring late night update after the earlier optimism. I imagine the models will still go back and forth a bit around May Day and beyond as we still have a fair way to go.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

northwestsnow yes good trends from both the ECM and Gfs this morning for pressure to rise steadily, long may they continue we deserve a dry spell after the last 8months, no doubt it won't be a smooth journey. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Although some way off i think the gefs mean pressure for 9th May looks promising this morning...

gfs-welwyn-garden-city-g(60).thumb.jpeg.16120f6a6bfd31bdc2d627ee1457e163.jpeg

gfs-ens_mslpa_eu_51(1).thumb.png.e0da5d1de1aca9577e96d35737c96c67.png

gfs-ens_z500a_eu_51(1).thumb.png.9fe71fcba8cb7b95ee94d9bd472d9f4e.png

..high in a better position to allow more of a warm up and importantly drier conditions..

gfs-ens_T850a_eu_51.thumb.png.ffbe853a489c5700fb6caf73539f069a.png

...allowing the heat to build further south too ..

..together with the ecm0z op..

ecmwf-0-240(2).thumb.png.aa5633b0ee31a3e64923771e47b26c31.png

..as others have stated good signs as far as they can be this morning...has to be better than what we are enduring now...a distinctly chilly drizzly 6 deg here this morning...🥶

• Like 8

Posted

Scorcher

Yes indeed , the North west has endured horrendous weather since October ..

It's the talking point in taxis,workplaces and households for a good while.

Really hoping things improve 🙏 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
9 hours ago, WYorksWeather said:

The answer, much as with the ECM, is no. The pattern is not as far west as the ECM, but the high is over and to the south of the UK, which is badly positioned for any real warmth. Nothing overly cold, and should be largely dry, but I'd hesitate to call it warm.

Given what we've had to put up with for most of the past 10 months, I think that pattern alone is quite good enough!

Plenty of time for intense warmth later: frequent dry and bright weather is arguably all we need now, whatever the temperature.

Even if the first half of May has a mean max of 15C, that will actually feel relatively warm given it's been in the 10-13 range for about six months now. Would certainly prefer dry, bright and coolish than mild but dull and wet cyclonic SW-lies, at any rate. Thankfully it looks like only one SW-ly day in the near future: Monday.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 8

Posted

northwestsnow The GFS 06Z is continuing the positive progress as well. Warm air stuck over the UK into the weekend and an easterly flow which is always good for NW England at this time of year.

This chart for next Saturday has come out of nowhere. It would be a shock to the system (a very pleasant one) for most in this area, given we haven't reached 20C yet.

image.thumb.png.def1f7d6fdec2590ee043093f03970b8.png

Not hugely deep in FI either- only a week away!

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 7

Posted

WYorksWeather There was always the potential for it to happen though with such warm air close by/over the UK. Still on a knife edge though given pressure isn't very high- especially further south.

Anyone who has booked a trip to France/Northern Spain for the end of next week might be getting a bit wet...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
On 26/04/2024 at 15:05, Rain All Night said:

0z deterministic runs, out to Fri 3 May (day 7)

I'll take the developments from 1st May onwards without complaint - from the Met Office app forecast, it looks as though even down here in the far south we will see improved temperatures along with the inevitable showers. Should be nice for those further north who may stay dry?

animbma2.gifanimqii7.gifanimubh5.gif

0z ensemble means, out to Sat 11 May (day 15)

Through the first five days of May, we will see upper-level high pressure retrogress gracefully through the UK, teasing us with warmer air before leaving us once again at the mercy of cooler pressure patterns, which currently seem to be favoured by the ensembles right through the first third of May.

animudo0.gifanimvpk1.gifanimjsu5.gif

0z deterministic runs, out to Sat 4 May (day 7) - bank holiday Saturday

Possible brief warmth on the bank holiday weekend, but plenty of ways for it to go wrong?

animgks1.gifanimqyv4.gifanimlhf7.gif

0z/6z ensemble means, out to Sun 12 May (day 15)

Perhaps some anticyclonic activity over the UK around 9th May? Otherwise, not much to report.

animgpl2.gifanimytx1.gifanimupk5.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

Rain All Night I reckon we will have a very interesting may indeed but I do envisage a negative AO/NAO month of may ahead as well down primarily to the final warming of the stratosphere prior coming into the summer months as @WYorksWeather and @Mike Poolehave said.   

At the same time i do also envisgae a zonal winds recovery, also believe the east QBO has reached its peak and will start trending less in an easterly vein as may and the summer progress.    

Things to keep our eyes on I'd say.    

• Like 4

Posted

Scorcher 

I'm still nervous that it will pan out in our favour,I think after the almost relentless let downs of winter I've kinda developed a semi permanent ' if it can go wrong it will ' mindset,I'm sure it's not just me .

That said I'm hoping for the best ,I'm semi retiring next month at the grand old age of 51 and I'd love to see a long warm spell to usher in my 2 day working weeks !🙏

• Like 4

Posted

northwestsnow I think whatever happens, the warmer air is nailed on now. How warm it will be at the surface and whether it will be completely dry in this area is still open to question I think.

The ECM is less favourable in the short term with the warmest air initially missing us but it's very good in the latter stages of the run- we would probably see 4 or 5 consecutive days in the low 20s in NW England.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 2

Posted

Mean is fine.

Probably not a heatwave but will be pleasant in any sunshine ..west is probably best ,actually south west will probs be best.

Either way, at long last a change is on the way ...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM clusters in the extended now showing something much more promising.

IMG_8918.thumb.png.cdb48dd41b13f8b685d44a1b02f0a9f9.png

The majority cluster 1 (23 members) looks very good, and cluster 3 holds promise with a tweak or two also.  No guarantees yet, but I agree with the view of others that a change might be beginning to show, plenty can go wrong, let’s hope we can count this down to a settled warm spell in mid May.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

Mike Poole i tell you this the sooner we have our zonal winds recovery the better, have also noticed further afield that the la niña development has been delayed by the new CFS members.   @Gavin Palways said on his videos to look out for the members in blue as they are the modern members if you like.    

Hope also we do get the WWB as @summer blizzardhas mentioned as that's an important thing in my eyes to look out for.