Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

Indeed, a very poor 12Z suite for cold weather fans. After what will likely be another exceptionally mild spell this week a hint of something more unsettled later in the month and indeed perhaps a stormy end to the month with hints (no more) of negative alignment and the jet inching south.

March, we are told, goes "in like a lion and out like a lamb". Perhaps, perhaps not. The ongoing stratospheric developments do offer possibilities of a pattern change of sorts and as the PV will ultimately weaken in the month the likelihood of amplification remains.

I always thought early March had possibilities and I've not given up on that because of one poor suite three weeks or more in advance.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Gefs 12zstill continuing with the colder conditions for last week of February..

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_57(3).thumb.png.43618ea5a30589efb34e74dc91c7f1b0.png

gfs-ens_T850a_nhem_56.thumb.png.182ad8038987a55109f761413adde92c.png

Slightly earlier the mean going below the long term average today..towards 22nd Feb..

ens_image-2024-02-12T191954_376.thumb.png.59700eb5b4d72a568d2985938e2bffe9.png

...its quite incredible though how different the 12z op is ..just continuing with that raging vortex to the north west..

gfsnh-0-240(20).thumb.png.f1cf986dc01bd41cd6105677c6bc983b.png

gfsnh-0-348(4).thumb.png.f01d4274d6b5a7084448a6d3b659dfec.png

....and now as others have stated the ecm too..

ECH1-240(25).thumb.gif.28ceab46cfa9028da03826c149e40970.gif

...although promise in the extended per the clusters...🤔

...the long and winding garden path ??...

• Like 5

Posted

Mmm lots of change in some model output today i.e. ECM, gone are the heights lifting through the UK and instead the strength of the PV to the NW exerts control with a renewed unsettled push from the atlantic. GFS holds steadfast with the very mild south west flow becoming westerly and in time amplified.

Just musing but doesn't a SSW result in a flushing out of the westerlies so to speak before its affects imprint fully.

Many longer range modelling went for a ridge to the NW and trough to the SE, the recent suggestion of heights building through the UK didn't align with such scenario, whereas an increasingly amplified flow and eventual ridge to the west building north does.. just a few weeks later perhaps!

In the meantime the long very mild period in the reliable remains and perhaps not as settled as first thought. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Just musing but doesn't a SSW result in a flushing out of the westerlies so to speak before its affects imprint fully.

It does usually, when it’s on the back of a strong strat vortex, but there aren’t any significant westerlies there to flush down in this case, because of the weak strat vortex all winter, and of course the previous SSW in January.

For example, GFS 12z zonal winds:

IMG_8758.thumb.png.1bde57c085a3322471a8c8ae32897cf6.png

If there were strong westerlies to flush you’d see a strong pink anomaly (right chart) in the lower strat moving down with time with the blue anomaly from the reversal above it.  It isn’t there.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

Posted

Ali1977 People just don't care anymore. Chasing cold charts beyond 300 hours in middle of the February feels pointless. The time has almost run out. This is February so far + 7 days forecast.

GGI95l_X0AALuZu?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

I am here in Southern Spain sitting under Barty's big behind so to speak and the weather is glorious, 24c today and low 20's forecast all week (average 17c) locals say they have never known such a warm, dry winter so lacking in rain and we all know the reason  for that!

This month is shaping up very much like February 1998 but interestingly that ended with a notable Arctic North Westerly which brought snow well south, I remember leaving the cinema in Penrith after watching Titanic to a blizzard outside, tonight's output and the ENS hint at a cold end to the month which would likely be from the North West. I just don't see any Northern blocking any time soon despite the SSW which again does more harm than good.

I think a cold North Westerly is a credible outcome possibly leading to cold zonality in early March, winter seems a long way off but oddly so does spring.

Andy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Penrith Snow Not wishing to derail the thread by comparing how synoptics have played out this winter so far against 1997-98 and there are uncanny similiarities, more so both strong El Nino years, albeit 97-98 was super el nino, a very mild December in the main which produced a chilly spell - ditto Dec 23 albeit different timescales, a rather average Jan with a mini cold spell mid month and some dry frosty weather, and now a balmy Feb as was 1998... mmm makes you wonder. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, Stephen W said:

Awan I think we could well see a CET in excess of 7C in the absence of a significant cold spell (which seems likely) and continued very mild days/nights (also likely!) given the current output. We are already at 7.8C. I have to remind myself we are in February and not April !

Probably ,by April ,we will be looking at a CET closer to February's 😂😂😂

• Like 3

Posted

I know lots of people are looking at calling things between ECM and GFS - I'd say let's hold for now.

The disagreement in the ensembles continues. ECM is much less keen on anything cold beyond 22nd, whereas GFS holds out more hope.

ecmwf-london-gb-516n-0e(36).thumb.png.4878f507b058e4354431d7b972263945.pnggfs-london-gb-515n-0e(57).thumb.png.46a76572f682b7fa88dd94efbfbd9b7f.png

It will soon be obvious which is correct, so we just have to wait and not focus too much on the individual OP runs. We have very good agreement on mild up to the 20th, possibly up to the 22nd, and then beyond that we just have an immense amount of scatter. The 850hPa temperatures beyond that are ranging from 10C above average to 10C below.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
10 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

0z/6z deterministic runs, Mon 12th to Mon 19th (day 7)

Looks as though the GFS had it right again about those 'green' heights to our north disappearing.

animofg6.gifanimsgd9.gif
animbcp6.gifanimgie3.gif
animkmn6.gifanimyzp1.gif

0z/6z ensemble means, Mon 12th to Tue 27th (day 15)

The Scandi trough signal is still alive and kicking this morning.

animeft8.gifanimckr9.gif
animbee7.gifanimgcu1.gif

12z deterministic runs, Tue 13th to Mon 19th (day 7)

Just to reiterate what I hurriedly wrote this morning, it seems that the GFS had once again been right to take a different path ahead of the other models, this time denying the possibility of significant height rises northwards of the UK.

After the passage of the next little Atlantic low through the UK, which looks like it will have its greatest impact around Friday morning, we will generally be seeing a struggle between high pressure trying to ridge up over the UK from the south, and low pressure systems from the west riding in over the top of this.

animbom9.gifanimtne0.gifanimmtc9.gif
animizv7.gifanimlhk5.gif

12z ensemble means, Tue 13th to Tue 27th (day 15)

From roughly 17th-21st Feb, as we're starting to see on the deterministic runs, ridging from our south may interfere with low pressure systems coming from our west. Thereafter, ridging may tend to move to our western side, while troughing may tend to occur on our eastern side - this has been the takeaway message from most ensemble suites over the past several days now.

animupu5.gifanimnkg6.gifanimvpb4.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

minus10 we've been saying this all winter. 

Its been an absolute disaster and I'm personally going to do alot more research into meteorology because im not convinced about some of the methods been used because in all honesty it's been a disaster from a forecasting perspective. Background signals have been misinterpreted and the significance of EAMT events working in tandem with the MJO has not been impacted like anticipated, we can point towards the strat warmings for "ruining" things but i don't buy that either. 

Its been a frustrating one to say the least but we get mugged off by the weather every single year in our country and this year has been a spectacular fail. 

But i guess im in awe of the sheer magnificence of the weather and how complicated it really is.

I want warmth now because i can't handle another false dawn! 

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

I know everyone has given up on this winter (including me) but the pub run offering some interest 😁

CAD0D05D-B20F-435D-8D3E-9E7ECB7B79C3.webp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
23 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Background signals have been misinterpreted and the significance of EAMT events working in tandem with the MJO has not been impacted like anticipated, we can point towards the strat warmings for "ruining" things but i don't buy that either. 

Haven’t they? 

The recent +EAMT & more broadly strongly +ve MT event is one of the reasons we will be seeing a major SSW next week. 

IMG_5168.thumb.jpeg.aeedf92daa0866a08845e9fcd3e72c6e.jpeg

Rossby wave packets generated in part due to momentum being deposited directly into the Pacific jet & causing the jet to extend eastwards have allowed for significant heat flux into the stratosphere to finally deliver the knock out punch. Indeed, Tamara mentioned this likelihood a couple of weeks ago and now we’re seeing it play out. 

The strongly +MT was signalled quite a while ago as the MJO progressed through the Maritimes & into the Pacific generating strong +FT, MT always follows FT. 

In terms of the MJO not impacting as expected, the above is an example of an anticipated consequence of the MJO, the reason we’re not currently seeing blocking despite favourable MJO is because the MJO cannot & should not be used in isolation. Here’s something I posted back on January 22nd: 

What did previous look like a good chance of sustained high latitude blocking during February is rapidly fading. 

Despite an increasingly favourable MJO signal into the western Pacific, we’re missing a vital ingredient & that’ poleward propagating +AAM (westerly momentum). 

Unfortunately, this time +AAM is increasingly glued to the equator & we’re not seeing this fluxing towards the pole, this helps (despite the MJO) to inflate the European ridge & indeed, a very strong signal for this within NWP through the remainder of January. A flat, mostly mild end to the month with low pressure systems deflected northwards, potentially stormy at times for Scotland

So actually, this has been rather well sign posted for a couple of weeks now & those of us that subscribe & try to apply the GSDM framework have spoken about this likelihood a few times. 

Edited by Met4Cast
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

The night is always darkest

image.thumb.png.1ccd812b1c686bb3f12948ae31a3d2c4.png

Just before the dawn!

It took a pretty crazy storm to get there @Mike Poole - as you say s’about time we had some excitement. It’s been dismal in here recently  - recriminations galore (the vast majority of it completely understandable!) after our 351st fail of this utter let down of a winter.

image.thumb.png.b8f80eeb6237aaa92c8d11af4c6c7ac9.png
image.thumb.gif.3832c4e7b9e2dbbe2ba6542e336053ce.gif

The pub run shows that a) another potentially hyper stormy period is plauisble and b) Atlantic blocking is not off the table but is unlikely until over 12 days away.

It does turn into a very cold and snowy run

image.thumb.png.6b7a450e533e6371153e555c2cbebd15.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Well it's been a while since we had a pun run special, but it's churning out a corker at day 13!

image.thumb.png.fcc369338e0b4d375ce2811957282572.png image.thumb.png.40e04a5de4d1af655dd9e0085191ae59.png

Very cold and an unstable airflow, very nice.  However, this has about as much chance as any other day 13 pub run chart 😬

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Evening,...just got in and i am liking the gfs 18z,...BOSH😁

and cold enough for snow to all levels.

gfseuw-0-318.thumb.png.6d42a04dcb7de894029d6cb6384471de.pnggfseuw-1-318.thumb.png.f678f9bd204c1a5c26129133f8d97000.pnggfseuw-3-324.thumb.png.38f8ec88d0d8394ce234f37e7a30cb4a.png

it's the crazy pub run antics but i will take it.

• Like 4

Posted

Let’s hope we can at least go out with a bang after this terrible winter ! 

3A08F683-B82A-4160-B240-C3A692374B15.png

524BF45D-62A2-4DF9-BF86-E9BB7E3AD2E3.png

• Like 4

Posted

Purely from an observation point of view than a forecast in regards to this low below but a rather St Jude (2013) looking storm system showing this evening on Gfs, not on par with intensity as the low exits the UK though and it’s not at time scale to take too literally but shows the lows track and timeframe itself ties in with recent updates on potential snow on northern flanks of systems moving through within a northwest airstream as we head towards months end, though the signal for heights over Greenland and Iceland have weakened so that’s the only real difference.

IMG_2771.thumb.jpeg.bb123f856c87213e65ef1a159407febd.jpeg
IMG_2778.thumb.jpeg.12c8c791b99ee95083fc4a4c7ebad667.jpeg

IMG_2779.thumb.jpeg.1e7773156f0ca76b9570221c171e5d5a.jpeg

IMG_2782.thumb.jpeg.e0fc8b9ba322fc161f9ddd7e00b46e36.jpeg

IMG_2781.thumb.jpeg.11cc2e1d8eb82868a21f588509336199.jpeg

The Synoptics Gfs showing this evening towards end of February is not unexpected, rather was expected even if conditions will probably be slightly less amplified come the week itself, the low itself above unlikely to be there on the day shown ofcourse, anyway from a lover of most weather types, plenty to be intrigued on for the second half of February with slight convective weather and snow still possibly being involved to some degree for the usual spots anyway later next week but that’s without significant frontal rainfall in the flow which would ofcourse be likely to bring snow levels down to where more are in a place to witness the wintry stuff, though probably not the south. 🙂 All fast paced stuff like a skipping rope has been waved across the North Atlantic shaking the stagnant synoptics pattern up a bit so to speak.

Will give a proper update by the weekend with a couple of different charts than the usual 🙂

• Like 2